Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
sarti
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am thinking about a purchase of a non running 1990 300d as a second car. The car has 220k on it, with a new head and timing chain replaced at 150k(has receipt). I suspect that the IP pump is the culprit, but I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas. I normally wouldn't consider such a purchase, but it's a southern car with no rust, and has a clean exterior/interior. Aside from the car not running, it would need a window regulator, a battery, filters,and tires. I did try to start the car with a small shot of ether and it sounded like it wanted to sart, but I did not want to spray more than a mist into the airbox. The owner is asking $1,300 obo.

·
Registered
94 E320 5 spd conversion
952 Posts
IP pump = major, but if clogged filters buy it. What does the owner "think" is wrong with it?

·
Registered
sarti
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said that he was driving it and it lost power and died as if it ran out of fuel. I know someone who owns a shop that repairs the ip pump if that is what needs to be done. Who knows, maybe I could get lucky and it is a bad fuel filer or cracked fuel line.

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
I would be willing to bet one or more glow plugs are bad, test them with a poker face and then offer them $800.

·
Registered
1991 300D 116,000m
730 Posts
DOH, you added more info, you didn't say it was running and felt like it ran out of fuel in the first post, ignore the GP's for now.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Since the car was running and stopped, it's either a catastrophic failure of the timing chain, etc. or a fuel delivery issue. I highly doubt the injection pump is the source of this issue. Just replace every filter and rubber fuel line and then work from there. Sounds like a decent deal.

·
Registered
sarti
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timing chain failure would be the worst case scenario I think. The original owner had the tc replaced at the stealership about 75k ago. The owner says he has turned down $800, would bad glow plugs not make this thing run? I think it's a fuel delivery issue, keep in mind there is no dents, rust, or interior rips on this car, for $1,300 obo?

·
Registered
94 E320 5 spd conversion
952 Posts
Bad GP would make it hard to start, but wouldn't make it stop after its already running. Offer $850 cash and tow it home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts