Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have run the SL 600 Thru MB for advise. $9K in repairs. The antenna is broke r/r $850. Both sides have sensors egr, egr tubes and )2 sensors that need to be replaced r/r $3000. 60K service $650. New rear tires $600. New rear brakes and rotors $650. New hydraulic line for suspension $500. The good news no oil leaks and harness was just replaced. I am offering 16K for car any thoughts. Car is visually perfect the paint interior hard top soft top a 10. This seems to be the type of thing simple services over the years would fix. I am so sick of people buying these cars when they can't afford to fix them!!!!! People if you are thinking of buying an MB remember service is billable at $100 per hour whether your car is a 1970 or a 2005 please leave these cars alone and buy a Toyota!!!! Anyone else have some advise?

·
Registered
clk350
71 Posts
Two things about an SL 1) it's an incredible car 2) yeah, they can get into your pocketbook and as you say, people need to realize that when they buy them.

As far as price, it is always an emotional thing. What's right? What's wrong. If someone could have radar eyes and see everything and have replaced everything marginal what would a 95SL600 be worth with that sort of an understanding? Always a good question.

Me, my 95 still has less than 70K on it, and as its now the second car will only get 3-4K on it annually. It's a keeper. Did I shudder when the 60K maintenance turned into a 900 dollar bill? Gulped hard but said OK. For the wife who has a habit of running the top up and down 50 times a day did I tell her that if the controller board went the $2K was on her? We laughed and if it happens it is on me.

But, you want to keep it pristine, have a stiff enough wallet to be able to handle it, simple as that. The only concern I have for the later 129's is the amount of sophisticated electronics on them. If MB or 3rd parties keep the supply chain open for these items, no issue. They decide to not support it and handle it as simple consumer type electronics 'life', then another story. The residual price of the 129's will drop like a rock! Why? Look at the BMW5 series. Ten years old and you can buy them for almost pocket change. Not in the same class as an SL, but on a 10 year old Beemer, just about everything is failing or ready to fail and BMW still wants top bucks for the repairs and parts.

I'm willing to bet that someone will always be there for the MB electronics, and if you keep it long enough, and keep it clean enough, the price will in fact all work out for you. For a 25K investment and still a few unknowns, the price you mentioned sounds fair for a really clean car. What else can you buy for $25K, a new Dodge Caravan or a Mercury Marquis?

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the words I am currently neg. price with the dealer. They countered at 17K and I countered by sending them the itemized report of repairs. Now mind you this will be the forth addition to the family. me and my wife also have a porsche. The fun in this is it is a hard top convertable. I have never been a fan of convertables due to the ride. This will get about 3-4K miles per year. Just wanted to hear from people who own them as this will be my first SL and 4th Mercedes. I have no problem putting the money in as long as the rewards are great I am not worried about resale plan to keep her 5 years then maybe go for a 2003. Thanks for the note...

·
Registered
30 Posts
My '90 300 has had a few probs, mostly electrics etc. BUT if you're not scared you can fix anything, I have. For example, the seat belt lamp on the dash was playing up. Answer? Disconnect the belt anchor wiring and remove the bulb. Ignition switch died a death. Answer? Second hand one from a breakers for $200. Leaky soft top? Fixed with a piece of self adhesive foam from a local motor factors. I live in the UK and there are two good breakers who have loads of SL parts. They don't charge any more for SL parts than for any of the MB parts they have. I did the hydraulic lifters last week because one or two were sticking and tapping. It's not hard, if you take your time. After all a car's a car, whether it's a Ford or a Benz. The mercs are pretty complex but a weekend, good tools and patience sees things fixed pretty easy. Incidentally, I have bought quite a few brand new bits from main dealers and nothing has been expensive, whats it like in the states? For example, I bought a brand new remote key fob with flick out key cut for my car, cost $100, pretty cheap I thought. My friend at work had to buy one for his French car and it was twice the price of mine! Justice!

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not scared of working on her myself. I was just wondering what other problems people have had that maybe I should be thinking about. The SL 600 is a very hard car to come by in top shape. So if the dealer will take my 16K offer I think I will give this one a shot. Parts here are not to bad I get 20% off at the dealer I go to as all my other cars are under warrenty and they see me alot. I am very anal about everything on my car working and not being damaged. If it doesn't look like the day it was built than it's not my car.... I have sold 5 cars in the last 2 years from 1988's to 2000 and all have looked and ran perfect after leaving my home to greener pastures. So I guess I will keep trying to find a car that interests me longer than 6 months (maybe this one?) but so far that hasn't happened.. CHEERS!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts