Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellaz, I am going to be a purchasing myself a 03/04 cl55 within the next few months and I was wondering, what are some inexpensive add-ons or parts I can get for looks/speed/horsepower gains. I am planning, on replace the original cl55 exhaust by a custom exhaust company out here in SoCal. By inexpensive I am wondering around 1.5 g's for horsepower gain or anything, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2003 CL55
7 Posts
I have an 03 , but wish I had purchased the 04 because the 04 has the new fiber optic electronics, while the 03 has the old style wiring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd get an 04-06 with an MBUSA extended warranty or a CPO car:eek:. Make sure that all the Bulletins have been done and the car serviced regularly. Make sure the ABC works ok and the car is aligned properly. Insist on real AMG wheels; they have the proper offset (aprox 44mm.) The AMG folks know what they are doing, as a rule, and the car was built as a system.

Don't waste money on the mods or wheels. You'll need it for gas, insurance, tires and service. Expect to get about 20-22mpg on the highway with cruise at sensible speeds once the engine runs in at about 25k miles, all bets are off if you have a lead foot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey fellaz, I am going to be a purchasing myself a 03/04 cl55 within the next few months and I was wondering, what are some inexpensive add-ons or parts I can get for looks/speed/horsepower gains. I am planning, on replace the original cl55 exhaust by a custom exhaust company out here in SoCal. By inexpensive I am wondering around 1.5 g's for horsepower gain or anything, thanks guys.
You want to buy yourself a $110,000+ car (before depreciation) and spend only $1,500 for mods? This honestly sounds like B.S....

I mean, I can list out a few mods for you...if what you're saying is in fact, the truth.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't waste money on the mods or wheels. You'll need it for gas, insurance, tires and service. Expect to get about 20-22mpg on the highway with cruise at sensible speeds once the engine runs in at about 25k miles, all bets are off if you have a lead foot.
What are you talking about man! Wheels should be the NUMBER 1 mod on his list....paying for gas, insurance, tires, and service should have been a given when he decided to purchase the vehicle. :)

20-22?? That is quite amazing....how are you getting such great gas milage if you dont mind me asking?? I have a 04 CL55 and the most I've gotten was 18mpg...driving very conservatively of course. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
20-22?? That is quite amazing....how are you getting such great gas milage if you dont mind me asking?? I have a 04 CL55 and the most I've gotten was 18mpg...driving very conservatively of course. :crybaby2:[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the complement.

I've been around cars for some time and find that they need to be run in before they perform their best. AMGs like to be driven. They, like all high performance cars, like to be driven conservatively until all the fluids, tires, and so on are at the correct temperatures. Then you can be a bit sporty. It's always a thrill to feel the car adapt itself via ABC and so on when you get on it a bit. The compensating seats are a blast.

I use Techron and 93 octane gas. I keep the tires on the high side of the recommended pressures. I look at the tirerack rating for rolling resistance for the acceptable tires. Because I live in NE I use W rated all seasons that tend to have better rolling resistance than sticky summer tires, I think, and handle better in rain. They are also cheaper and last longer. I make sure the alignment is dead on.

I keep the cruise set about 65-70 on the highway. (Frankly, the gas mileage on the highway at 90 mph remains around 20.x mpg so it is definitely an Autobahn car. I do not recommend exceeding the speed limit.) I find that the mileage tends to go up at night because the air is cooler 3 seasons of the year. I cycle through the "lift lights" fairly regularly.

I vacuum the fleece air filters and the filter compartment
periodically. I usually drive in the C setting that starts out in 2nd gear. I change the rear end and transmission fluid, filter and magnet after the 2nd year. I cut the oil change interval in half thanks to a "source" as well as patronizing the dealer for A&B and warranty services.

I use the stock AMG staggered 18" wheels 3 seasons and same size 18" AMG wheels with W rated snowflake tires for the winter. (No, I don't get 20+ mpg in the winter but I do get 18on clean highways.) I had some BAD experiences with aftermarket brands so I just stick to the lightest weight AMG wheels that are recommended for the car. I clean the inside of the wheels when I store them for the season. I have their balanced checked periodically.

I'd like to hear what some of your mods are to learn from.

I think the best appearance mod is debadging the car. It's cheap too.:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts