Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,559 Posts
Question for you regulars at the Pick-and-Pulls.......

So I often get a text from three local (within 30 miles) Pull-a-Part locations in the Atlanta area stating they have received a W163 ML on their lot with the location and some basic information. I'm retired now, so it makes a good road trip to hopefully find some decent parts.

Sooo...after getting to the PAP and finding the vehicle.....IT is usually just a shell that has already been stripped of anything of use to me. Plus as mentioned earlier, a previous picker would have destroyed a useable part to get to something else. It's like the PAP's just swap out inventory to get pickers to come look !

Just curious...is this practice done on a regular basis ?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Just curious...is this practice done on a regular basis
I am very lucky the same company has 4 yards in the valley one is across the state highway from my subdivision another just about the same except it is on the other side of the river and 2 miles upstream to the bridge. But no and yes.

My yard does not state condition but I can check inventory online. I have seen something listed in inventory to get their and only find a frame (GMC pickup). But that is usually when I don't pay attention to what the inventory is at the yards further away. The local yards though have regulars that make a living pulling parts and reselling. A new ML was dropped I got over right before closing second day. A regular (I have seen many times) had a wheel barrow of unrelated parts, but the most sellable radio, headlights tail lights, etc. But I have never seen an ml stripped down as bad as you state, my yard usually crushes them too soon!

I think your yard is phishing for customers don't rely on their emails check on line or call, sounds like they are sending out emails only before crush time to see if they can get a few move $$ out on last ditch effort.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
I am very lucky the same company has 4 yards in the valley one is across the state highway from my subdivision another just about the same except it is on the other side of the river and 2 miles upstream to the bridge. But no and yes.

My yard does not state condition but I can check inventory online. I have seen something listed in inventory to get their and only find a frame (GMC pickup). But that is usually when I don't pay attention to what the inventory is at the yards further away. The local yards though have regulars that make a living pulling parts and reselling. A new ML was dropped I got over right before closing second day. A regular (I have seen many times) had a wheel barrow of unrelated parts, but the most sellable radio, headlights tail lights, etc. But I have never seen an ml stripped down as bad as you state, my yard usually crushes them too soon!

I think your yard is phishing for customers don't rely on their emails check on line or call, sounds like they are sending out emails only before crush time to see if they can get a few move $$ out on last ditch effort.
Lol, you lucky charm. Sounds like you can now act as a mediary for members. :p
That'll be a FT enterprise on it's own.
We just had a pickn pull yard close up this month. (RE prices make it too lucrative for these landowners to continue their boneyards). Lost my closest source to pick.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
RE prices make it too lucrative for these landowners to continue their boneyards
Lucky the closest Is still in business, It has been a yard for over 50 years. The previous owner was the king of recycled parts in the state (full service). Then they sold off all the yards and this young guy purchased them all slowly (pick a part). They are surrounded by subdivisions and a golf course. The way house prices are shooting up, I am surprised he has not sold. He has cars coming in faster then places to put them though some stay only a month or two. We sold our Windstar to him I think it was there 3 weeks.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Good nest egg for a young fellow and his family I would think.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Good nest egg for a young fellow and his family I would think.
The land has gotten so valuable there was talk of taking the golf course and turning it from 18 holes to 9 and building on the other 9 fairways.

But we have digressed back to roof rack cross bars.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Sorry guys, my bad. Resuming back to the topic of oem crossbars...

·
Registered
1998 ML320
66 Posts
In the exact same boat with my GMC extended cab, I have three panels except drivers doors. You have to be there the day they put the truck out if not it is either gone or torn up. I got 2 of the three that way he set the truck in the yard as I was standing there, but that truck was hit on the drivers door and the panel was destroyed. I would order it from GM at this point but they discontinued it.

Is the grey driver door you need the same as a 99?
The last 2000+ that came into the yard had a grey interior, but the driver door panel was held together with painter’s tape.

98-99 had the plasticky interiors that got a lot of complaints. 2000-2005 (and I think possibly the 99 ML55) had the much nicer redesigned interior with padding on the console and dash, better quality seat leather, and nicer padded door panels.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,292 Posts
Mercedes used Thule lock cores in the OEM racks ...
Minor correction: Merc don’t make roof racks. They contract Thule to make them, then Merc package them and mark them up 100-200% compared to the Thule equivalent.

There are no Thule markings of any kind on the bars, box or documentation. We only know they are Thule because the keys match, and the elliptical bar profile is patent protected. (That, and we read it somewhere on the internet.)

Where did the OP go? To his locksmith, I hope.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
984 Posts
Minor correction: Merc don’t make roof racks. They contract Thule to make them, then Merc package them and mark them up 100-200% compared to the Thule equivalent.

There are no Thule markings of any kind on the bars, box or documentation. We only know they are Thule because the keys match, and the elliptical bar profile is patent protected. (That, and we read it somewhere on the internet.)

Where did the OP go? To his locksmith, I hope.
I know, right ?

Its either Locksmith to make key OR
disvover that quality aftermarket options like the aforementioned CargoLoc Crossrails exist for a mere $50, not much more than making keys...

WTTW: Locked MB OE crossrails w/o keys aren't much use....

Also, MB OE crossrails can be model specific: our e320 OE rails cannot fit w163 roof rails, wrong profile.

Cheers - David

41 - 51 of 51 Posts