Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your keys are supposed to look like the ones in the photo then they are Thule. Is there a code on the cylinder?

Thanks wallyo, no code on the cylinder. I wouldn't be asking if there was one. I've no idea how the key should look like, I can only deduct that from photos found. If someone has the rack and can check the key, we'd get the answer.

Regards,

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
With out a key code you will need to try pick your self, drill out, or have a lock smith pick it. I passed up 3 sets of cross bars for a ml at the pick apart because no keys. They had codes but were locked to the car, by the time I order a key and had it sent the car could of been crushed.

I take it you thought you were getting keys?

·
Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
665 Posts
Evening folks. Funny this topic should come up just a few days after I ordered a set of cross bars off of Amazon about a week ago. The ones I ordered are from an outfit called Cargoloc and the pair set me back $49.24 with free shipping via Amazon.
So , you've got to ask yourself ....are these cross bars any good ? Well the 4.5 stars from 654 previous purchasers made me feel pretty good about the quality and the price was phenomenal. Received them a few days ago and I am impressed !
Don't have a trip planned anytime soon, but I wanted to familiarize myself with them before I used them. Right out of the box they seem to be of excellent quality and construction. Good directions and warnings regarding the type of roof bars these are designed for and capacity limits.
So installation was straight-forward and took about fifteen minutes. Been driving with them for a few days and yes, they do create some wind noise but that was to be expected. Sunroof opens/closes with no issues and these babies appear to be rock solid. There are easy to install and are supplied with two keys and an allen hex key to adjust and tighten properly.
Now to find an appropriate box to mount on the crossbars. I'll be looking for something probably from Thule or Yakima.

Here are a few pictures of them mounted :

View attachment 2620221 View attachment 2620222 View attachment 2620221 View attachment 2620222 View attachment 2620223
Nice looking bars,.. and for 50 bucks.. if you don't like them.. toss them..

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
....So, for now I hope you guys here might know whether these are indeed Thule made and might be able to say the right replacement key number or at least confirm the OEM key does look identical to the ones from photo and if so be able to post the code from the OEM Key (which from the photos to me looks like 198)
Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,
OEM keys below for MB crossbars, but the numbers are going to be different.

IMG_9708.JPG

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,559 Posts
Yep, my bad !! 3946 happy campers !! I don't think it would be difficult to install a Yakima ski rack to them, but you would probably want to check with Yakima.
I'm afraid my snow skiing days are over...right knee replacement I I would be using one of the low profile containers for other items.. To me, the wind noise is really not that noticeable , particularly with the sunroof closed.

For the money, these puppies are hard to beat !!

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,189 Posts
Thanks khomer2, are these for the W163 or W164 crossbars? Can you confirm the part number B67812140 from the sticker on bars? If so, what is the code on the keys? I'd just order a Thule replacement key with that code.

Regards,
w163 oem
I'll have to check the crossbars in the morning. My son borrowed the suv this evening.
code = 085

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,292 Posts
If so, what is the code on the keys? I'd just order a Thule replacement key with that code.
Locksmith is your best bet. Around here you can take a lock like this and get 2 keys for $15-$30. Big price range, so shop around if saving $10 is important to you.

All keys are different, so a copy of khomer2’s key is very unlikely to unlock your bars. My code is 033.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
66 Posts
With out a key code you will need to try pick your self, drill out, or have a lock smith pick it. I passed up 3 sets of cross bars for a ml at the pick apart because no keys. They had codes but were locked to the car, by the time I order a key and had it sent the car could of been crushed.

I take it you thought you were getting keys?
One word: hacksaw. My local self-service yard charges by sub-assembly. If you want to buy a whole roof rack for $20 but only cut part of it off of the roof, they don’t care. I got a Thule rack off of a Ford Expedition that way - cut the factory rails on either side of each lock assembly. Once the parts were home I could order the keys at my leisure.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,559 Posts
One word: hacksaw. My local self-service yard charges by sub-assembly. If you want to buy a whole roof rack for $20 but only cut part of it off of the roof, they don’t care. I got a Thule rack off of a Ford Expedition that way - cut the factory rails on either side of each lock assembly. Once the parts were home I could order the keys at my leisure.
BRAVO !! Now that's being creative and a pretty good upper arm workout !!

And from what I understand to remove these factory bars as a whole assembly is next to impossible !

Hope it goes well getting your keys .....

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
984 Posts
Evening folks. Funny this topic should come up just a few days after I ordered a set of cross bars off of Amazon about a week ago. The ones I ordered are from an outfit called Cargoloc and the pair set me back $49.24 with free shipping via Amazon.
So , you've got to ask yourself ....are these cross bars any good ? Well the 4.5 stars from 654 previous purchasers made me feel pretty good about the quality and the price was phenomenal. Received them a few days ago and I am impressed !
Don't have a trip planned anytime soon, but I wanted to familiarize myself with them before I used them. Right out of the box they seem to be of excellent quality and construction. Good directions and warnings regarding the type of roof bars these are designed for and capacity limits.
So installation was straight-forward and took about fifteen minutes. Been driving with them for a few days and yes, they do create some wind noise but that was to be expected. Sunroof opens/closes with no issues and these babies appear to be rock solid. There are easy to install and are supplied with two keys and an allen hex key to adjust and tighten properly.
Now to find an appropriate box to mount on the crossbars. I'll be looking for something probably from Thule or Yakima.

Here are a few pictures of them mounted :

View attachment 2620221 View attachment 2620222 View attachment 2620221 View attachment 2620222 View attachment 2620223
Springer,

Glad you discovered the CargoLoc crossrails - they're pretty nice units.

I reviewed them around 2 years ago - here & on the Amazon listing - the several photos on that listing of the ML is ours.

Ours work well. I leave them mounted on our ubiquitous Sears 20 CU FT Cargo Car Top Carrier, so everything is aligned & ready to attach.

I can even put that Cargo Carrier / CargoLoc rail assembly on either ML or E-Wagon interchangably.

When the whole Fam loads 'er up it probably weighs near 200#.

I try to make 80mph my 'speed limit' when set up & travelling.

So, they're strong units.

Dont know how they'd do with lumber, ladders or surfboards though...

Cheers - David

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Sam I usually do not like going to a yard destroying one part to get to the other. I don't know how many door panels I have seen ripped apart to get to a window regulator for example leaving nothing for the guy that needs the panel.

But here you got an good idea here and exception to my rule. For all the ML's I have visited in the yards I never saw one where the roof rack was pulled. I have an DeWalt 20 volt Cordless reciprocating saw too boot easy peezy. If I had to guess if you need a roof rack you need a new truck because you rolled it! Too bad I did not get your advice sooner!

I don't get why auto manufactures put rails on but the cross bars are never included in purchase. Last vehicle I had that came with was my Jeep Grand Wagoneer and yes it had faux wood grain on the sides. Talk of bad gas mileage (8) and leaking oil.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Springer,

Glad you discovered the CargoLoc crossrails - they're pretty nice units.

I reviewed them around 2 years ago - here & on the Amazon listing - the several photos on that listing of the ML is ours.

Ours work well. I leave them mounted on our ubiquitous Sears 20 CU FT Cargo Car Top Carrier, so everything is aligned & ready to attach.

I can even put that Cargo Carrier / CargoLoc rail assembly on either ML or E-Wagon interchangably.

When the whole Fam loads 'er up it probably weighs near 200#.

I try to make 80mph my 'speed limit' when set up & travelling.

So, they're strong units.

Dont know how they'd do with lumber, ladders or surfboards though...

Cheers - David
David it's been a while since you have gone surfing I take it? (sorry I could not resist).

Boards these day are pretty light do to Foam core shaping. Anyone ever pick up a solid wood long board? Its called muscle beach for a reason? My newer downhill snow skis weigh 30% less then my old. Was in a shop last week lifted a pair of skis wide enough to surf on that cost a grand they weight was next to nothing.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Thanks khomer2, are these for the W163 or W164 crossbars? Can you confirm the part number B67812140 from the sticker on bars? If so, what is the code on the keys? I'd just order a Thule replacement key with that code.

Regards,
No part # stickers or ID markings on the crossbars. Only the 200lb warning.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Perhaps you can drill out the lock on these?
And then replace the lock portion.
Front and back view. There is a part # on the end pieces.
The front end lock assemblies have a metal safety strap that attaches to the crossbar - the rear ones do not.

Photo 2020-02-11, 9 52 47 AM.jpg Photo 2020-02-11, 10 07 39 AM.jpg Photo 2020-02-11, 10 08 10 AM.jpg Photo 2020-02-11, 10 08 53 AM.jpg Photo 2020-02-11, 10 09 36 AM.jpg

EDIT:
more info

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
984 Posts
Ostracuseme:

Our locksmith charged us just $10 to break into a locked security box.
Cheap because we set it on his counter.

He asked: want in only or need keys made too ?
$25 extra to make 2 keys.

So, perhaps a local locksmith can help you....

David in Texas

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
224 Posts
Mercedes used Thule lock cores in the OEM racks, but unlike Thule the locks do not have the key number on them, either on the outside or on the inside. I think a locksmith is expensive, but I have not gotten an estimate. When I come across these racks and they are locked, I stick a large flat head screw driver in the lock and turn it. Voila, unlocked. To remove the core, you then need to have the Thule change key, which is essentially a key without teeth. While this is inside the cylinder, you need to use a small screwdriver on the back of the cylinder to close one of the teeth in the back. To access, you may have to disassemble the black piece on the back that inserts into the metal cross bar. I've done this about 15 times and it's still kind of a hassle, so you may want to check with a lock smith. If you need a set of Thule locks, there are Volvo resellers that sell the Volvo roof locks, which are made by Thule and exactly the same. You actually get six cores for $17, which is a lot cheaper than anywhere else. 2005-2019 Volvo Lock Kit 6-keyed alike locks 31330898 | Volvo Wholesale Parts
If you plan on trying to remove the cores I can shoot a video of how to do it and post it on youtube, so let me know if this would help.

·
Registered
1998 ML320
66 Posts
Sam I usually do not like going to a yard destroying one part to get to the other. I don't know how many door panels I have seen ripped apart to get to a window regulator for example leaving nothing for the guy that needs the panel.

But here you got an good idea here and exception to my rule. For all the ML's I have visited in the yards I never saw one where the roof rack was pulled. I have an DeWalt 20 volt Cordless reciprocating saw too boot easy peezy. If I had to guess if you need a roof rack you need a new truck because you rolled it! Too bad I did not get your advice sooner!

I don't get why auto manufactures put rails on but the cross bars are never included in purchase. Last vehicle I had that came with was my Jeep Grand Wagoneer and yes it had faux wood grain on the sides. Talk of bad gas mileage (8) and leaking oil.
I usually try to avoid destroying parts to get other parts off unless it’s necessary, but if I’m going to pay for the whole thing either way, I really don’t care too much. Trying to figure out how to unbolt roof rails that I don’t need seems like a big waste of time. Same with the seats that I picked up for parts recently. A couple of the bolts were rounded off, and I didn’t need the frames, so I just cut the legs.

I know what you mean about door panels. I have three really nice 2000+ grey panels to upgrade my ‘98. Still need the driver door panel. I’ve seen two that were destroyed, one came into the yard that way, judging by the tape holding it together.

My favorite local yard doesn’t allow powered saws, so the ol’ hacksaw gets the job.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
I know what you mean about door panels. I have three really nice 2000+ grey panels to upgrade my ‘98. Still need the driver door panel. I’ve seen two that were destroyed, one came into the yard that way, judging by the tape holding it together.
In the exact same boat with my GMC extended cab, I have three panels except drivers doors. You have to be there the day they put the truck out if not it is either gone or torn up. I got 2 of the three that way he set the truck in the yard as I was standing there, but that truck was hit on the drivers door and the panel was destroyed. I would order it from GM at this point but they discontinued it.

Is the grey driver door you need the same as a 99?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts