Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
G's, ML's, SL, 124's, 114, 203
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
... don't think the ones I got are legitimately W163 cross bars.

Here's the link to the ebay auction - I got 'em for about $50 less than shown:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mercedes-Basic-Carrier-Roof-Rack-ML-W163-1998-2005-/181134515181?viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&item=181134515181&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=dOJeMf0DmzXr0lfofWutrJsAGuE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I received them today, pulled them out of the box, and the first thing I noticed is that one cross bar is about 3.5" (according to the measuring tape) shorter than the other.

Is that correct? Should one side be shorter than the other....?

Also, looking at the ends, they appear to pinch/grab the roof railings, instead of having a rubber tape/ribbon that straps them down onto the roof railings.

So what exactly did I get? Doesn't seem correct...

I haven't received my ML yet (it's being shipped) so I can't throw 'em up on the railings to try them out.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,939 Posts
I fixed your link as it was not clickable.

Those look correct for 98-05. You will know soon enough. If you want to know before your ML arrives just call a local dealer. They may still have the old accessory part number listings for them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed your link as it was not clickable.

Those look correct for 98-05. You will know soon enough. If you want to know before your ML arrives just call a local dealer. They may still have the old accessory part number listings for them.

Oh, thanks!

So what about the fact that one cross bar is shorter than the other by 3.5 inches...? Is that correct?

·
Purple Moderator
21,939 Posts
The roof tapers from wide to narrow.

The roof is wider at the front than at the back. I never measured it, but it is at least 3".

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,292 Posts
I have a pair of genuine MB roof bars, and I can tell you these aren't the same. My bars are held on by the rubber strap. However:

• They will fit your ML. The distance between the roof rails is shorter at the rear compared with the front.
  • The key shape indicates they are made by Thule, who make the genuine MB ones. Technically they are bars produced by the OEM company, as the first eBay seller may have described them.
  • It is possible that MBUSA approved these bars, and sold them through MB dealers. Has anyone else bought OEM roof bars in the US?
This is what the genuine ones look like: dachgepäckträger | eBay

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
21,939 Posts
Those were the official bars BahnStorm posted that the US dealers sold from 98-2000.
There are little labels on the end with an MB Logo and a number that is in the old accessory catalog. I had a set on a 98 320 and remember that tightening tool well.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,292 Posts
Thanks Noodles, I can see the embossed MB logo in the last photo. So these are genuine as well.

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
21,939 Posts
You are welcome. BahnStorm should have no problems getting those on.

I did measure the ML this morning and the width decreases over 3" from front to back on the roof line.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks DrX and Noodles! Good stuff.

So since we're all ML Dorks here, why did they change the cross bars for '01 onwards?

Are the '01+ bars the ones with the straps? Are these better or worse?

My ML (ETA one week!) is an '05. Did the roof railings change too? Same profile as the pre-'01 railings?

·
Registered
98 ML320, 01 S500, 15 GL350
585 Posts
I have the OEM bar for the 1st year 98, they are same length. The locks are joke that you can hand break loose them!

Maybe the new model fixed that problem.

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz R 320CDI
23 Posts
Well how did they work out for you? Did they fit? I have some bars that look just like them. They came with an MB cargo carrier I bought. The seer thought they fit an e or c class but a little digging ruled that out. More digging leads me to believe they are ML bars. Hopefully you can confirm?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well how did they work out for you? Did they fit? I have some bars that look just like them. They came with an MB cargo carrier I bought. The seer thought they fit an e or c class but a little digging ruled that out. More digging leads me to believe they are ML bars. Hopefully you can confirm?
Yep, the bars I got are the correct ones, and they are great quality, I like them a lot.

·
Premium Member
'07 ML350, '05 ML350SE, '04 ML350, '01 ML55, '05 SLK350, '04 SLK200, '76 280SL
2,123 Posts
Thanks DrX and Noodles! Good stuff.

So since we're all ML Dorks here, why did they change the cross bars for '01 onwards?

Are the '01+ bars the ones with the straps? Are these better or worse?

My ML (ETA one week!) is an '05. Did the roof railings change too? Same profile as the pre-'01 railings?
I have a 2005 ML350 and a 2004 ML350 in the driveway, and until a month ago I had a 2000 ML320 also. I have a set of Thule roof bars (not MB branded, but which look exactly the same as the MB branded) which were fitted by the UK MB dealer to the ML320 in 2000 when I took new delivery. The bars are the same length as each other, and fit all 3 cars (the car roof rails are the same profile and same spacing).

The locks are plenty strong enough - have lasted me 13 years.

The bar mounting brackets slide in the roof bars when the locks are slack to accommodate the rails tapering from front to rear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Noodles, I can see the embossed MB logo in the last photo. So these are genuine as well.
I have a pair of genuine MB roof bars, and I can tell you these aren't the same. My bars are held on by the rubber strap. However:

• They will fit your ML. The distance between the roof rails is shorter at the rear compared with the front.
  • The key shape indicates they are made by Thule, who make the genuine MB ones. Technically they are bars produced by the OEM company, as the first eBay seller may have described them.
  • It is possible that MBUSA approved these bars, and sold them through MB dealers. Has anyone else bought OEM roof bars in the US?
Hello, I just got these used with no key. Could anyone help with finding a replacement key. There is no code on the lock, though I guess one can order Thule replacement key for these. Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,559 Posts
Evening folks. Funny this topic should come up just a few days after I ordered a set of cross bars off of Amazon about a week ago. The ones I ordered are from an outfit called Cargoloc and the pair set me back $49.24 with free shipping via Amazon.
So , you've got to ask yourself ....are these cross bars any good ? Well the 4.5 stars from 654 previous purchasers made me feel pretty good about the quality and the price was phenomenal. Received them a few days ago and I am impressed !
Don't have a trip planned anytime soon, but I wanted to familiarize myself with them before I used them. Right out of the box they seem to be of excellent quality and construction. Good directions and warnings regarding the type of roof bars these are designed for and capacity limits.
So installation was straight-forward and took about fifteen minutes. Been driving with them for a few days and yes, they do create some wind noise but that was to be expected. Sunroof opens/closes with no issues and these babies appear to be rock solid. There are easy to install and are supplied with two keys and an allen hex key to adjust and tighten properly.
Now to find an appropriate box to mount on the crossbars. I'll be looking for something probably from Thule or Yakima.

Here are a few pictures of them mounted :

rfHim+p+Rjq62CtcXuHJRw.jpg
DgG00V80Ql6tZ5XJXygmvg.jpg
rfHim+p+Rjq62CtcXuHJRw.jpg
DgG00V80Ql6tZ5XJXygmvg.jpg
B05pI6fjT%qWXbtv5yNqgA.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Huh? Welcome but we have no idea what you got used?
Thanks for welcoming me, wallyo.

I'll clarify. Two days ago I bought the OEM MB cross bars pictured in #6 and #8 (I guess they are the same). As I've found out, two part numbers are associated with these,
OE # B67812140 and OE # B67812120. Some online part stores also show AM-1125534078.

I found a listing with photos, see included. My problem is that the cross bars I bought are locked and don't have keys.
I tried to contact local Dealer Parts Dept, their reply was 'I looked up the rack and keys are not listed , only new tumblers with new keys were listed. Unfortunately i also saw that neither of the 2 part numbers were available. You might want to try a good locksmith, most have a large selection of blanks for all types of situations but if not you'd have to search around EBay i guess, sorry. Parts Dept MB. '
So I asked to provide the part numbers for 'tumblers with new keys' and the reply was '6-6-84-8552 & 6-6-84-8551 are the part numbers, i think one kit is 2 locks & the other is one lock. They are OEM for the racks , so if the rack is Thule then the lock is as well. They were fairly cheap too, about $15-30 back when they were available. They just look like a simple tumbler with keys. '.
Etrailer reply was 'I would love to help out but your best option would be to reach out to Thule at 1 (800) 238-2388. They would be able to tell you if you have a Thule product and whether not they have a key for you. The Thule OEM side is a bit different than the aftermarket side which is what we deal in primarily. '

I do have options like drilling the locks out and replacing them or going to locksmith and/or trying to pick them, but these are the last I'd try.
So, for now I hope you guys here might know whether these are indeed Thule made and might be able to say the right replacement key number or at least confirm the OEM key does look identical to the ones from photo and if so be able to post the code from the OEM Key (which from the photos to me looks like 198)
Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
931 Posts
Evening folks. Funny this topic should come up just a few days after I ordered a set of cross bars off of Amazon about a week ago. The ones I ordered are from an outfit called Cargoloc and the pair set me back $49.24 with free shipping via Amazon.
So , you've got to ask yourself ....are these cross bars any good ? Well the 4.5 stars from 654 previous purchasers...
Springer you got it backwards actual it is 3946 reviewers! I looked at these a while back and have them in my Amazon list. Let us know if you get any excessive wind noise at highway speed on the ml? Every model of car is different when it comes to that. Was also wondering if I can adapt a Yakima ski rack to them?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts