Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, thanks for the input earlier on my European mercedes inquiry. I bought the w123 1982 220e mercedes from my neighbor today. $300. No rust that I can see. 190 engine. 2nd owner purchased in Germany in 1984. 123000 miles. No key, which may be a blessing to keep me from prematurely trying to start her. Going to drain the fuel and start the rehab since it's been sitting for 10 years. Have pics but can't upload since I only have an iPhone. Giddy as a schoolgirl. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thx. Jeff

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
220E, there is no such thing. You have a 230E, no worries.

Take your proof of ownership to the dealer and order a new key.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
all you need is driver license and proof of ownership

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I saw 220 on the vin and assumed it was a 220. Appreciate the info. Will plan on getting a key ordered asap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any suggestions about buying window crank handles? No donor cars of this sort in this area. Also, preferred proceedure for bringing the engine back to life?

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Do you need the small colored inserts?

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
One thing I do know about starting up an engine that's been sitting is to unhook the FI stuff and crank the engine over after putting a little bit of oil in the cylinders. Just enough to lubricate it. Start off by hand cranking it, then use the starter. Wouldn't hurt to do a compression test just to see what condition the engine is in.

Also, change the oil and the fuel hoses. No need for a car fire. The oil just gets old so it should just be changed so it lubricates the engine properly. In general, replace the fluids and filters and any rubber things that have aged, particularly tires (don't want to have a high speed blow-out) and fuel hoses.

·
Registered
1979 450SEL (On The way), 1980 240D, 1985 300D Turbo, 1989 300E 24v, 2004 C230 Kompressor
54 Posts
If you're wondering how you're gonna have to get the key write down the Vin number, and give it to them and they can do the key business. Or, if you want you can use a Screw Driver like I had to when I bought my 240D with NO key.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts