Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 93' 190E 2.6 over the weekend for 1000$ from a junkyard. I guess the gentleman who owned it got a DUI and the car was impounded. Since he no longer had a license he couldn't get the car out of impound and after a waiting period they released it to the junkyard once the storage fees were paid.

All the guy's stuff was still in the car including all the more recent service records. He had a tune-up in November of last year which included new spark plugs, oil change, fuel injection cleaner.. Minor stuff.

The car has 224,000 miles on it and is in pretty decent shape. It doesn't seem to be burning any oil, the auto tranny seems solid. I spent 60 bucks over the weekend on some cosmetic things. (sealed broken sunroof with black silicone, cosmetic stuff on the 2 front doors, replaced all the bulbs in the lights, removed stickers, ect.)

So this is my first post.. I've enjoyed trolling this site and have found some very useful information so far!

My question to you, the people is: Do you have any suggestions for maintenance or worth while mods to make this baby last??

If she dies soon I may keep it as a project car because I love this body style and engine! Pic below..

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Very nice find, looks really clean!

One thing to make it look alot better/ give it better light output would be to get european headlights. You can get depo ones on ebay for less than $200.

I'd change all the fluids and filters just to be sure. It will make it last longer and run better.

·
Registered
2001 ML320; 1993 190 2.6 Limited Edition
107 Posts
Dang that's incredibly clean-looking. I bet the PO is PO'd that he lost his ride due to a DUI! Looks like it's missing the lower cladding on the RR quarter panel (should be easy to find a replacement) and the front and rear bumpers appear to have been painted. Debadged rear. Clear corners. Nice wheels too. Nice score!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes ChrisR that rear quarter panel is missing.. I gotta find one. zephyrueffer, thats a great idea! I think I'll paint it this weekend! Euro lights would be great too but, since it has so many miles I think I'll save for major repairs. I think the whole car was painted black. The bottom of the door jambs is like a gun metal grey. Honestly those pics I took are very flattering. The body needs some help. I may put a nice clean body kit on it in the future and have it repainted again. I think I've gotta flush the transmission fluid first thing. It's kinda clunks into 2nd at low speeds.. Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,967 Posts
For 1993 W201 the transmission will start in 1st all the times.

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,234 Posts
For 1993 W201 the transmission will start in 1st all the times.
Who tell you that with 220K trans ? 722.3 & 4 last some where in the neighborhood of 140K then maintenance starts some time even serious rebuild..I bet this car from unadventurer at least previous DUI guy has rebuild all ready other wise.Any way nice ride consider from JY want it make last : treat her well..:D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
buy headgaskets and valve cover gaskets in the spring. while you're doing those two jobs inspect the timing chain, it likely needs to be replaced. if it does order chain,tensioner,guides,rails...you could also order a water pump and rad hoses to be safe.
I spent like $220 on all those items excluding the waterpump

you do those and the 190e engine shouldn't fail for a LONG time...

I'm suspicious of the maintenance records, i would check the spark plugs...who keeps the maintenance records lying around in their car? sounds fishy since its from a junkyard too.

welcome, and good luck

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Am I the only one who noticed that this may be a Sportline? Its hard to see, but look at the seat through the windshield. So it's a debadged, 93 2.6 with sportline seats. This guy may have gotten an even better deal than we thought

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
nice very clean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
buy headgaskets and valve cover gaskets in the spring. while you're doing those two jobs inspect the timing chain, it likely needs to be replaced. if it does order chain,tensioner,guides,rails...you could also order a water pump and rad hoses to be safe.
I spent like $220 on all those items excluding the waterpump
I will definitely consider this! At this point I want to spend more on the engine so this is exactly what I wanted to hear.. It may be a sportline! The interior is all black leather with red piping. The PO put carbon fiber film all over the panels in the console and dash too. Looks really sporty inside!

I was thinking it has probably been rebuilt because of the miles.. I have a good Mercedes mechanic nearby that I know through a friend. I'm going to have him look it over and give me a fair assessment of things.

Rock on guys! Thanks for the input! :bowdown:

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
Interior looks like this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes sir! I don't think that red in the middle of the seat is there.. Everything else is exactly the same. Even the shift knob is the same. And I thought that was something the PO just threw on there.

Is there any extra engine mods or suspension that comes with that package?

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
While I would check the condition of the timing chain tensioner and the plastic chain guides when liftingthe valve cover, I don't believe replacing the twin row timing chain is necessary. I can't remember when I have ever heard of significant chain stretch or failure of a twin row chain.

The Sportline option package is code 952. Check the data plate that is tacked onto the radiator support, or have the dealer run your VIN and get a copy of the data card for the car.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
the carbon fiber film was put on by mercedes for the sportline option, not by the PO. i think they should have used burlwood like in the 2.3 LE's but oh well

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,967 Posts
Who tell you that with 220K trans ? 722.3 & 4 last some where in the neighborhood of 140K then maintenance starts some time even serious rebuild..I bet this car from unadventurer at least previous DUI guy has rebuild all ready other wise.Any way nice ride consider from JY want it make last : treat her well..:D:thumbsup:
Mine is 1993 2.3 with 722.4 transmission and 279,xxx miles on the original transmission without rebuilds.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
the carbon fiber film was put on by mercedes for the sportline option, not by the PO. i think they should have used burlwood like in the 2.3 LE's but oh well
The faux CF was in the 2.6L Limited Editions, just as the burl walnut was in the 2.3L Limited Editions, not part of the Sportline option package.

·
Registered
92 190e 2.6 Sportline
55 Posts
the sportlines, had a few differences to them, different suspension, close ratio steering box, bigger sway bar and supports, bucket seats in the rear, i may be missing some others, but thats what i remember.

·
Registered
1993- 190E
98 Posts
Hi All

That is one great find. I may start hitting all the junk yards in town may be I could get lucky as well. LOL

Very Nice MB. Good luck with her.

Pokergod

1 - 20 of 20 Posts