Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300E 1991 300E 2000 S430 2006 SLK55 AMG
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is in great shape and only has 18,000 miles. Battery is dead, car is on the ground and I cant open the trunk with the metal key. Where would you guys start? It should be towed to me on Monday and I would like to hear what the guys with experience with this car think I should do first.
Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 1999 ML 320
92 Posts
Sounds like you found a nice car. I think the first thing you should do is fill out the rest of your profile. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your car.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you found a nice car. I think the first thing you should do is fill out the rest of your profile. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your car.
Thanks. I have my fingers crossed. Worried about the condition of the gas though.

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,728 Posts
From my experience with classic cars I would not think you have too much trouble on your hands. I would plop a new battery into it and add two or or three Stabils to the gas tank and give her a crank. Listen carefully to the engine and make sure the oil sounds like it is circulating. If you are not sure what to listen for then get a mechanic on it. Frankly, three years on a late model car isn't that long to sit. Different story on an old one though. Fill it up with new gas immediately and change the oil soon enough.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From my experience with classic cars I would not think you have too much trouble on your hands. I would plop a new battery into it and add two or or three Stabils to the gas tank and give her a crank. Listen carefully to the engine and make sure the oil sounds like it is circulating. If you are not sure what to listen for then get a mechanic on it. Frankly, three years on a late model car isn't that long to sit. Different story on an old one though. Fill it up with new gas immediately and change the oil soon enough.
Thanks Shane. Love your avatar. I will know more on Monday. Don't know why I can't get the trunk open though?

·
Registered
2001 CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
611 Posts
" can't get the trunk open" .....The operation with the metal key is quite something..
You have to push it up and turn it to the left - I believe - very tricky...I used a pair of pliers to work it..

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Connect jump leads to the power connector in the passengers footwell and start the engine, then you will be able to open the boot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Connect jump leads to the power connector in the passengers footwell and start the engine, then you will be able to open the boot.
Thanks Eric. Will it be obvious where the jumper location is? Is it labled or hidden?

Thanks
Paul

·
52,804 Posts
Thanks Eric. Will it be obvious where the jumper location is? Is it labled or hidden?

Thanks
Paul
Pull the carpets out of the way and look for the large red wire and that is your live. Then find a suitable ground.

·
Registered
163 Posts
yes, I agree with Eric. behind passenger side carpeting, there is a metal plate held in place by a few 10mm nuts. remove the plate and you will see the positive battery lead terminal, just connect the booster pack positive to it and connect the negative to any bare ground within reach and you are golden.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
You might also take a look at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1523434-firing-up-hopefully-not-literally-non.html in the R107 forum. Keep in mind it is written for a much older car, and it continues to address problems you may not have. But it does deal with cars that were improperly stored for a long time. There are other posts on the topic there as well.

Many on the R107 forum recommend using a product called Sea Foam in the gas tank when fuel has been improperly stored for a long time. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c107-sl-slc-class/1538455-sea-foam-heard-thoughts.html

·
52,804 Posts
^He said earlier in the thread that he was having problems with the mechanical key.

·
Registered
163 Posts
actually, some locks will not open when there is no power. I have this same issue with my 02 S500, the lock works without a hiccup as long as there is power going to it, once the power is cut off, the lock will not open with the key blade, no matter what. And yes, I do know how to open the trunk with the key :)

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,667 Posts
get to the power cable under the footwell and just try to open it from there. dont start, you dont know yet the situation of the engine. change the oil,battery, check all the fuse after that,check fuel condition,all electronics if you have a engine diagnostics. happened to my friends 2007 range rover that was stored for almost 2.5 years in the middle east. when he decided to ship it. we had to do this there before loading in the container.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Pull the carpets out of the way and look for the large red wire and that is your live. Then find a suitable ground.
It is now in my garage. Wow, is it almost imposiable to tow with the air empty!
Is there a way to inflate the shocks without the engin running?

I found the loation for the jump as you said. thank you!

I now have the trunk open.

I think the gas is bad. it has a foul smell.

What is the best source for a service manual for this car?

and thanks for all the help thus far.

Paul

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
You're new to the W220 - you may find the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia helpful. It's a sticky at the top of the W220 forum. In it, you will find information on how to get downloadable versions of your owner's manual, the COMAND manual, Service Manual, Recommended Fluids, and the Voice Control manual.

Personally, I'd siphon that old gas out, put in some new, and a good fuel system cleaner such as Techron or Sea Foam, before cranking it.

If you're lucky, the car will rise once you start the engine (or when you replace the battery). If not, see the Encyclopedia links under Airmatic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just a follow up FYI.
Gas was very bad - smelled like paint thinner and gunk in the bottom. I have a new tank coming.
Pulled the airmatic relay - Simons not hella. Manually checked it and it works.
Pulled the fuel pump relay and replaced the battery.
Put the key in and turned it all the way but not to start position.
Air system did not run in this position so I removed the relay and jumped the socket and the pump ran. It didn't raise the car. There was no leak at the top of the front struts (soap test).
The plastic bellow dust covers are broken and mostly missing on the front struts.

I will keep you posted on my progress in case anyone has any comments or advice. It may help someone in the future with a similar situation.

Thanks
Paul

1 - 20 of 129 Posts