Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I just joined the forum, and am looking at purchasing an 04 or 05 C230 Sport sedan. Just looking for recommendations or things to look out for when looking at a C230. Any thoughts you all can share would be appreciated.

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
There are 2 common engine problems with this motor that you may want to be aware of. At about 50-60K miles, the 2 cam sensors will start leaking through the wire. The oil works it's way down the harness to it's lowest point and kills the O2 sensor (your first sign that all is wrong). From what I've heard, dealers are charging about $2K to replace the harness, O2 sensor and 2 cam sensors. You can avoid this by replacing the cam sensors earlier than that and they have a harness extension that blocks the flow of oil from the cam sensor into the rest of the harness. There is a TSB for the harness extension but for some reason it only applies to 2003 so the dealer won't do it for free but you can buy them pretty cheap, $11 or so. Also, the second problem is there's a small vacuum tube under the intake that's difficult to get to and eventually rots in the same trimeframe as problem #1. The tube is also about $11 but is not easy to replace and may require special tools to reach under the intake. It's made of cheap rubber that just corrodes.

Other than that, they are relatively problem free for an MB. Some people have had MAF issues but that's easy enough to either clean or replace.

As for choice, the 2004 had two models, 2004 and 2004.5. The 2004.5 is more desirable because of the 5 spoke wheels, AMG style brakes and more. The 2005 is the facelift model that has different bumpers and interior trim, dashboard, center console, etc. The 2005 does have a ride that's firmer than the 2004 or 2006 and may or may not be to your liking. Other than that, they will both be the same for performance, handling, fuel mileage, etc. I like my 2004.5 and had the choice of getting the 2005 but I wanted the 4 years free maintenance that came in 2001-2004. Maintenance on any car these days can get so expensive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Buellwinkle,

I'm relatively new to MB. could you describe or provide a picture of the location of the cam sensors? The 230 is under the factory warranty for another 2K miles and I'd like to inspect them before the warranty is up. If they look like they're going south, I wonder if the dealer would fix them before the warranty period is up. If not, using the harness extension solves the problem? Is there a site on the net where I could purchase them? thanks.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
You should do more than inspect, you should put a dab of oil on the wires and run the engine with them disconnected, that way they will change them under warranty, haha. Then poke the top of the vacuum hose with a stick, that's where they break, very brittle, it will break then you get a new one that will last 4 years. Some people say it's cheating the warranty, I say MB is cheating us with stuff that should break in 4 years.

They are in the very front, round buggers with a wire coming out the bottom. Just picture where the overhead cams would be and these are in front of them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
wow thanks guys. the car went into the dealer yesterday for a CE light. she just got a call saying it was ready and what was wrong and what was performed:

-Bad/stuck thermostat not letting engine reach operating temp

-Cracked vent hose (vaccum hose perhaps?)

-replaced turn signal in mirror since the old one fogged up when wet.

If the cam sensors are starting their oil-leak-of-death thing, is it visibly apparent at a quick glance or do i need to remove any components to inspect?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All,

Thanks for the info. I am definantly looking at the 04.5 or 05, but leaning toward the 05. Any idea of a fair price for something with between 20-35K miles??

Thanks,

don

·
Registered
56 Posts
All,

Thanks for the info. I am definantly looking at the 04.5 or 05, but leaning toward the 05. Any idea of a fair price for something with between 20-35K miles??

Thanks,

don
the 05 230K we purchased last week had 47000 miles and was purchased for 21500. similar cars in our area were selling for 23000+ but had fewer miles. location can have an impact on value as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don,

here's some general stuff:
- tirewear (new set of tires can cost you $450-1000 on top of what you're already paying for the car.

- From my research value for one around 50k seems to be the best.

- 2005 has the AMG body kit and is the last 4 cylinder MB ever made (and may ever make...ever). Good gas mileage.

- The plastic chrome paint on the rim of the cupholder tends to chip off. Check that for condition of the interior.

- Be sure the headlamp sprayer works if your version has it.

- Grab the VIN and check with any mercedes dealer by phone to get a record of service that was done to the car. It'll give you an idea of what was done and what wasn't. If there's a long list maybe there's been lots of problems. If there's nothing, either the owner is living with the problems or there aren't any.

- Brocken windshield doesn't cost $250. It's $500-800 depending on where you go. I should know. I called more than 10 places for quotes.

- The Kompressor comes with a staggered wheel setup (rear is wider than front). With peformance directional tires (tires meant to spin fast only in one direction), you won't be able to rotate tires....at all. Just something you should know.

- um...what else?...oh yeah, the sports versions have a modified arm rest....with a cool tray to put stuff. the arm rest also comes up to become more parallel to the ground (rather than angled) to hold your arm up better. You'll know what i mean when you see it.

- Not all versions have back seats that fold down. I wish I had that. Arg...

- HIDs are niiice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
can anyone pLease tell me what type of special tools use to remove the supercharger and replace the partial load vent hose for crankcase ventilation and where can i get them ? I have 2003 mercedes C230 kompressor sedan. I am getting an error for first cylinder misfire and manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit high input. Is the first cylinder locates toward the windshield or toward the front of the vehicle? Is it necessary to replace the ignition coil or what should i do from here? I just replace all 4 spark plugs, new air filter, 2 new O2 sensors, the up and down stream and a new mass air flow meter.
Thanks in advance for any advices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts