Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first ever Mercedes. This is not going to be driven every day....it is simply a pleasure vehicle because a friend knew I was missing my convertible horribly. My concern is, it has 259,000 miles on it. It's a beautiful car and I'm getting it for $1,000 bucks. My thinking, if I get 2 good summers out of it, I'm a happy girl.

Please, straight up, honest advice. I lost my husband 5 years ago so really dont have a mechanic type person, (especially Mercedes wise) and I have very little if any, other than what I've learned along the roads, mechanical knowledge, but not stupid by any means. (guess I find out for sure right now, lol)

I am just really concerned if I'm making a really bad choice or one i can live with. I would really like to have the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
i'd only consider this if you have the willingness to learn how to d.i.y. if so, you've found an excellent resource in this forum.

any car with that many miles, no matter how well maintained (you don't mention that) will need some attention from time to time. on the plus side, these are durable cars and can go hundreds of thousands of miles if maintained. my e430's up to about 265,000 miles and still going strong!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Welcome MsSuzAllen, :)

Ditto to pt_700s comments.

I would also like to add - if you know how to google search, use the search button, top right corner, you will find a wealth of information to serve your own needs. The community here is very helpful so long as you are willing to help yourself and learn to.

2 summers?, meh! I think more.
I would think you would have checked on or will be checking on the present running condition and function of the peripheral parts including the convertible top?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, I've gone through the car (probably bought as many cars as I am old, I'm maybe a few less). Just never a Mercedes. I have heard they last for a long time. I thoroughly trust (as much as one can) the friend I am getting it from. Nonetheless I am aware that 260,000 miles is getting up there! I figured it I got back any extreme responsez, "DON'T BOTHER". "YOU'RE ASKING FOR TROUBLE" and the like, I would pass. But, it seems it I do my part, which I will, I might get a couple years enjoyment out of it. Can't ask for much more for $1,000 bucks (well I could, but I stay safe)

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It might be worth it to take it to a reputable Mercedes shop and pay to have a pre purchase inspection done. That way you can be informed and know what may need to be done now and in the future.
The hydraulic cylinders for operation of the top are known to leak and can be rather expensive to have replaced. But for $1000 you could plan for things like that and wind up with a good car.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I am looking to buy my first ever Mercedes. This is not going to be driven every day....it is simply a pleasure vehicle because a friend knew I was missing my convertible horribly. My concern is, it has 259,000 miles on it. It's a beautiful car and I'm getting it for $1,000 bucks. My thinking, if I get 2 good summers out of it, I'm a happy girl.

Please, straight up, honest advice. I lost my husband 5 years ago so really dont have a mechanic type person, (especially Mercedes wise) and I have very little if any, other than what I've learned along the roads, mechanical knowledge, but not stupid by any means. (guess I find out for sure right now, lol)

I am just really concerned if I'm making a really bad choice or one i can live with. I would really like to have the car.
So, you're looking for a convertible, not a DD, for pleasure use since you miss your old one.
You've never had a MB, and found a 2003 CLK 320 with 259,000 miles for $1,000.
You want straight up, honest advice.

Here's my thoughts:
The car is 16 years old which is not a deal breaker.
The mileage could be a concern, however without records.
Do you know any of the car's history, or have access to any maintenance records?
The price might be a result of the high mileage, but might also indicate the car isn't worth too much.
I am concerned about lack of access to mechanical person or GOOD INDY in case you should need some help?
At the very least, and because of the mileage which could easily become an issue, I'd strongly suggest a PPI by a qualified person.

Finally, here's a link to a list of similar cars within 300 miles of your ZIP to use for comparison before purchase: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Convertible/Mercedes-Benz/CLK+320/Manteca+CA-95336?makeCodeList=MB&searchRadius=300&modelCodeList=CLK320&zip=95336&startYear=2000&endYear=2006&marketExtension=true&vehicleStyleCodes=CONVERT&sortBy=relevance&numRecords=25&firstRecord=0

I'm sorry for your loss. Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for, MB or other.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If you are just buying it for $1,000 to just put the top back and beat around in it on a weekend for a couple years that is a pretty low entry cost. So best thing is not worry about the details. Get a PPI. Make sure it runs and it is safe to drive. Then go from there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you driven it yet? Does it run well? Any warning lights on? Puddles under car? What does the owner say about what is wrong with it? If they say nothing is wrong with it, they better have a pile of receipts to prove it.

Get a good independent mechanic that specializes Mercedes to check it out. On these cars you can be looking at $1000 for simple repairs.

·
Registered
35,664 Posts
When this is 1 of the best drivetrains MB ever offer, at this age you will need new Motor Mounts, idler pulley and probably tensioner.
Also convertible roofs are high-maintenance items, so check for leaks there.
The picture shows paint in decent condition, but is it real?
MB with peeling clear coat will always look bad and there is no way you can restore for another $1000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Kajtek1
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing