Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm really interested in buying my first vintage Mercedes project car. I found a really low-cost 190D just recently, but of course it has some defaults that would need fixing.

1) The "shifting column linkage" is broken, needs replacement. He says he has a replacement already, but it's a two man project and he just doesn't have the energy.

2.) It's pretty much been sitting for two years, not-running regularly. I've heard that these engines are best when kept running, almost the more the better so as to avoid internal corrosion and such. How long is too long?

3.) A front fender is munched. He also has a spare replacement. Is this an easy bolt-off, bolt-on operation to replace one, or are we talkin' major welding and body-shop work here?

4.) There's some "rust in the frame"... how deadly can this be beyond a certain point. Is "some" a repairable and stoppable project?

I'm ready and willing to put quite a lot of time into fixing a project Mercedes if that's what it takes. I already have another car that is my major daily-driver. Those I guess are the main things/worries that I can think of. Thanks much for any advice any of you can give me.

·
Registered
220 D "1970"
43 Posts
I think you could handle It.
Sounds like you know all the parts and what they do.
If he has all those parts for It nad the asking price wasn't too high,I think you would end up with something to be proud of!
Altho...That linkage might be a bear,I've never done It...but heard it took some time to get It "just right".
Ah,You also mentioned you have the "time" to devote to It (That's all It takes).Persistance Is key they tell me.[8)]
By the way...what Is the asking price...can you tell us?

Enquiring minds want to know [:p]

Take care

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other questions came up:

How can I figure out what W # it is? That whole alternate numbering system confuses me quite a lot.

Also... how can I figure out what engine is most likely in it?

Does anybody know of a specific site or sites specializing in this particular model range?

·
Registered
220 D "1970"
43 Posts
I'm a first time owner too,just did a years worth of work on mine.
Some of these guys should be able to help you (no problem)
I guess you do realize that the "D" means diesel?

·
Registered
500 Posts
If it is a 190Dc, it is the W110 body. When looking at one of these models, check for rust around the fender wheel wells, rocker panels, above the headlights, and in the floorboards. This body style tended to rust out if not properly cleaned. I wouldn't worry about sitting for just 2 years, though you may have brake or hydraulic clutch problems.

If you want a project, go for it. Many chassis parts are the same as other models, and most mechanical components are still available. $300 sounds cheap enough, but be prepared to put a few more dollars into it.

·
Registered
1980 300sd, 1998 e320
73 Posts
I bought my 65 190dc for 300$ also. the body was straight and rust free. It had been sitting for about ten years. It runs just fine. The charging system needs repair. Probably the generator. These are great cars. Simple motor. I'd buy the car. Let me know if you need parts, engine or body. there are a couple good resources here in salt lake city. Let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts