Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am planning to purcahse a 99 S420 with 125,000KM on it. However, there are couple problems on the car, any recommendations would be helpful!

1.The AC is not working, no heat or AC comes out from the vents. The rear one doesn't work as well! However, the climate control LCD is working fine. Would this be related to the AC Blower Regulator?

2.There is a winey noise from the engine, would this be the serpentine belt or bad belt tensioner?

3.The bushing is worn out on the car, there is noise from the front left suspension.

4.The brakes are not that strong, as the car haven't been driven for 6 months. How much would a whole brake job cost (pads and rotor)?

Otherwise, the car is in mint condition. How much do you guys think it will cost to repair all the above items, as I am going to bargain with the dealership. Do you guys think I am better of with fixing it myself, so I can bargain the price more. Or should I make the dealership to fix it all, but this is not a benz dealership. Any advices would help, thanks alot!
 

·
Registered
85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
I have an 95 with the same mileage,I would be scared to touch a 140 where the air isn't working,also belt tensioer isn't a cheap repair either.
Let the dealer fix it all and then buy a extented warranty.
Just curious, how much is he asking for?
 

·
Registered
1997 S-600 Sedan
Joined
·
53 Posts
I am selling my 1994 S420 , am in Florida. In local paper for $8949.00 and is great price. Is a great car and excellent condition. NO Rust, never wrecked... low miles at 135K. Has been in my family since 1996. Beautiful solid black and grey interior, LWB. Gunner
 

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
Joined
·
3,205 Posts
ballun said:
Hey guys, I am planning to purcahse a 99 S420 with 125,000KM on it. However, there are couple problems on the car, any recommendations would be helpful!

1.The AC is not working, no heat or AC comes out from the vents. The rear one doesn't work as well! However, the climate control LCD is working fine. Would this be related to the AC Blower Regulator?

2.There is a winey noise from the engine, would this be the serpentine belt or bad belt tensioner?

3.The bushing is worn out on the car, there is noise from the front left suspension.

4.The brakes are not that strong, as the car haven't been driven for 6 months. How much would a whole brake job cost (pads and rotor)?

Otherwise, the car is in mint condition. How much do you guys think it will cost to repair all the above items, as I am going to bargain with the dealership. Do you guys think I am better of with fixing it myself, so I can bargain the price more. Or should I make the dealership to fix it all, but this is not a benz dealership. Any advices would help, thanks alot!
This car should cost no more than $8000 USD if you decide to buy AS-IS.
 

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
Fixing it yourself is a silly idea, go find another! The bushings are expensive and need a special tool. If the blower were bad something would come out of the vents.
You are trying to convince yourself that you need that car , find a good one. The noise could be a steering/level pump, alternator, air injection or a trans front pump
 

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
Joined
·
7,218 Posts
lnguyenh said:
This car should cost no more than $8000 USD if you decide to buy AS-IS.
But it only has about 70,000miles on it notice the listing is in KM, it's worth a bit more than that.
 

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
Joined
·
3,205 Posts
NZ Benz said:
But it only has about 70,000miles on it notice the listing is in KM, it's worth a bit more than that.
Did you see the 4 things he listed (I did notice the Km)? Cars are also much cheaper here in US. If the seller fixes all those things, I'd pay $12K for it.
 

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
Joined
·
7,218 Posts
lnguyenh said:
Did you see the 4 things he listed (I did notice the Km)? Cars are also much cheaper here in US. If the seller fixes all those things, I'd pay $12K for it.
The AC is the only thing I would really worry about, but I don't think it's the core in this case, the brakes can be as simple as a fluid change which you should do anyway, as the car does not wear down pads by sitting still for 6 months, the wine from the engine could be the belt and the car will need a general lube service, thing is it's a bit premature for myself or anyone to talk value before a PPI, there may be mroe latent defects in the car.
 

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
Joined
·
3,205 Posts
you're right ... although the AC itself could cost more than $4K to fix! My S420 is also 99 with everything in working order including AC and auto door closer ... (well, except the left headlight wiper) and it cost less than $12K (75K miles)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Well, I was in the same situation as you. I got an 1992 400SE from my uncle who was planning on selling it. It costed me $4000 but he was almost giving it to me. He replaced the brakes and tires etc. (The car has hardly been driven and left out).
AC jobs are really expensive and there was AC evaporator problem in mine where the dealer would charge $6000 for repear cause they had to rip the dash off to get to it. However was this one mechanic that made me a deal for $300 + Labor **IF IT WORKED**.
As for the heat, I don't know whats wrong, so you may be right and there is a blower problem.
If you are pumped to buying ask around places for a freelance mechanic. But there are always more benz's out there don't trouble yourself with this.
 

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
Joined
·
7,218 Posts
lnguyenh said:
you're right ... although the AC itself could cost more than $4K to fix! My S420 is also 99 with everything in working order including AC and auto door closer ... (well, except the left headlight wiper) and it cost less than $12K (75K miles)
You got a bargan then.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top