Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pumpkin swap surprises?

684 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  pjfoltz
Well, with premium about $3.15 here in Richmond, I am going to swap out the 3.27 differential on my 1989 300TE for the 3.07 I picked up on eBay last year (mine was noisy on the acceleration side anyway....but I love the git up and go!) With a tune up and new (Mustang O2 sensor-$36) I have picked up the mileage into the 20 mpg range, from about 15 mpg before, now that I am over the "damn this car is fast" stage; and I'm looking for a few more mpgs, a few less revs on the highway, and a little bit more of the quiet ride.

Are there any big surprises I should know about? It looks fairly straight forward, but it never hurts to ask the collective wisdom.............well?
1 - 2 of 3 Posts
Thanks! No to the shims, I'll do some measuring and get as close as possible. What ratio did you have before and what kind of rpm drop did you get?

I almost had my wife pmail you a few weeks ago when I lost my alternator bearing one Sunday morning at about exit 5 on the Jersey turnpike...I remembered your locale from your posts and I was getting desperate (with my 5 and 2 year olds in the back seat)! I ended up picking up a battery from advance and loosening the belt as much as I dared with a two month old head gasket job and limped it to the Rutgers area!

Thanks, Patrick
1 - 2 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.