Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 E320-current, 94 E420, 65 220sb
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody connected Nitrous Oxide to a W124? Just for those precious moments at the red light, it would be nice to flip a switch and blow out the car next to you (even though you may without one). Just for giggles, it would be a "Kodak Moment" the look on their faces when you dust a E55.....

If you have, I'd like to know what you did.... Thanks!

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I have a "dry" Zex kit I bought a while back for my turbodiesel. I plan to install it in conjunction with my propane injection kit.

I'm hoping it helps with my turbo lag

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Purple tells folks you're serious about gittin' r' done

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
I have a "dry" Zex kit I bought a while back for my turbodiesel. I plan to install it in conjunction with my propane injection kit.

I'm hoping it helps with my turbo lag

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Torque, my friends...it is a pleasant sensation

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
My old 603 with propane was only 2 tenths of second slower from 0 to 60 than an E420. I'm prepping my new 606 with propane and N2O to carve well into 500E acceleration figures. With some improvements to the turbo and injection pump, it should easily put an 036 in the rear view mirror. Torque is where the diesel shines

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
My old 603 with propane was only 2 tenths of second slower from 0 to 60 than an E420. I'm prepping my new 606 with propane and N2O to carve well into 500E acceleration figures. With some improvements to the turbo and injection pump, it should easily put an 036 in the rear view mirror. Torque is where the diesel shines
hmm, so do you have propane running into the system all the time? or is it selectively activated a la Fast and Furious when you need the extra boost? same question for your nitrous system..? Also how quickly would you go through a propane tank like the one you have pictured? When you add the cost of the propane/n2o to the gas bill are you still ahead where you'd be with an E420 as far as running costs?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
The propane is boost sensitive, so when it's triggered, it runs progressively from about 5 psi on up. It only runs when I'm feeling frisky and flip the switch. The N2O setup will probably be activated by the factory WOT switch, or by a boost selective switch. I haven't fully dialed that part in yet. I'm not really sure how long it would realistically take to deplete the bottle. Theoretically it helps enhance the fuel burn of the diesel/biodiesel, so it might be a net mpg gain, or not. I typically just factor it as an additional cost. Even when I've been a maniac on the throttle, I've never gotten less than about 26mpg. Diesel engines aren't just for fuel economy anymore, but even when they're hopped up, they do it efficiently.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,709 Posts
I used to own 320cdi engine and was pretty exited about it. In E class it makes 0-60 in 6.9 seconds. I asked one member who had E320cdi and C430 in the family about the comparison and he admitted that with his FIL they drag raced both. His words were "they went head to head"
So why experiment and risk blowing up older engines, while you have newer one making the acceleration on the dealer lot? Making 40 mpg to boost.

·
Banned
1991 560sl / 1987 300TDT / 1995 E300D / 1994 S350D / 1993 300SD /Cummins Diesel PU /2 airplanes
861 Posts
The propane is boost sensitive, so when it's triggered, it runs progressively from about 5 psi on up. It only runs when I'm feeling frisky and flip the switch. The N2O setup will probably be activated by the factory WOT switch, or by a boost selective switch. I haven't fully dialed that part in yet. I'm not really sure how long it would realistically take to deplete the bottle. Theoretically it helps enhance the fuel burn of the diesel/biodiesel, so it might be a net mpg gain, or not. I typically just factor it as an additional cost. Even when I've been a maniac on the throttle, I've never gotten less than about 26mpg. Diesel engines aren't just for fuel economy anymore, but even when they're hopped up, they do it efficiently.
That is very cool! I have seen this done with Cummins diesels but haven't done this to mine. Hope this works very well. Any idea when you might get this done? I want to hear of the results.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Nope, I've never wondered about that.

Rudi, I've already run the propane system on my old 603, and it was good for a full second shaved off of my acceleration to 60.

Since I've hijacked this with a side discussion regarding diesel applications, it should be mentioned that while are no negatives associated with these engines, it can and will destroy a gas engine if misapplied. It needs to be carefully accompanied with the correct proportion of fuel, or it will create a dangerous lean burn situation that burns pistons or valves in a gasser, hence the desire to use a "wet" system as shown in the diagram above. I believe we have at least one member here who has installed nitrous on his M104, so hopefully he and others will chime in with their experiences.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,985 Posts
Hey Zeit,
Looks like you may have found the way to have that mythical E500 wagon, performance wise that is.
I always figured MFG's would never add secondary/tertiary systems because the average buyer would not want to have to fill their car up three different ways to get performance.
And not that they blow systems up, heck a bad turbo install can melt your pistons too.

Full Speed ahead!

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Hey Zeit,
Looks like you may have found the way to have that mythical E500 wagon, performance wise that is.
I always figured MFG's would never add secondary/tertiary systems because the average buyer would not want to have to fill their car up three different ways to get performance.
And not that they blow systems up, heck a bad turbo install can melt your pistons too.

Full Speed ahead!
Yeah, that's pretty much my goal of my project wagon, which is why I started with chassis and braking improvements to prepare for the increased engine performance.

We each find our own pathways to hell. I may choose to tack on cheesy stuff that MB opted to avoid, but given some of the other engine improvements I have in mind, there might not be a need for auxiliary fueling/oxidizers. It's nice to have options.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts