Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,579 Posts
Hi

I have a late 2003 ML270 CDI. The car drives fine and accelerates strongly from standing.

I have noticed however that at 70 mph cruising on the motorway if I accelerate gently I get a pulsing or surging acceleration. The rev counter echoes this pulsing by moving up and down.

This is not a violent pulse and up to that speed the car drives perfectly. I have changed the air filter thinking that may be causing it, and although extremely dirty the problem has not been fixed.

All thought appreciated.
I rarely work on diesels but since you said that your air filter was very dirty, I would remove the Mass Air Flow insert and spray clean it with CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner. Not knowing where you are from, I do not know its' availability, but try and get this product, it works very well. If not use an electronics spray cleaner.

Also, try hooking up a scanner to the truck and see if there are any codes stored.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,579 Posts
Were you able to spray the very thin wire on the insert? That is the important one. Remove the two screws (see phot #7) pull out the insert and spray the wire clean. If after doing this the truck runs remarkably different (worse) then you need a new MAF.

Note: The screws holding the insert need a #25 Torx Plus w/security socket, but don't waste your time finding one. Either use a vise grip or cut a groove in each screw so you can use a flat screwdriver.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts