Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed that my interior light would pulsate (dim then back to normal) when the door was opened and the engine running on my 2004 CLK 500. Now being aware of this phenomenon I've noticed the back up lights and the high beams are also acting the same way. The car has the Xenon low beam lights and they don't seem to be affected. The car has 95K miles and the battery is one year old and stays charged.
Any insight would be appreciated before I throw myself on the mercy of the dealer.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,833 Posts
It definitely sounds like a voltage regulation problem. You HID low beams would not be affected because they are powered by a step-up transformer (or ballast) that would inherently smooth out small low voltage fluctuations. I'd put an analog voltmeter on the car to see what the voltage regulator is doing. Check your ground wires - a loose ground can cause problems like this. It may end up being the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would you recommend checking the voltage at the regulator? Would it be prudent to just replace the voltage regulator to see if it eliminates the problem?
If so where on the car is the voltage regulator located?

Also I have disco on the 8 track.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
873 Posts
Voltage regulator is part of the alternator. My wife's CLK doesn't have an 8 track, but it and my SL500 have cassette and CD players - yours has an option I missed out on ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I need.

Also about the 8 track option I might have been thinking about my '68 VW.

Jeff

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,833 Posts
I prefer an old fashioned analog voltmeter to check "pulsating" or variable voltages. often, digital meters (like that built into the car's electronics) are "dampened" to help smooth out the variations. Sometimes, just like disco, old fashioned analog just can't be beat. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts