Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bobby, nah I kinda seen that as well when I first bought it but that was just how it came, as long as the groves are there and there's some type of tooth does it matter ?

Cheers Guys

So your saying, "That belt isn't a full V grooved belt" and I'm not just seeing things... I'm not sure why your so trusting of someone that sold you a belt that doesn't fit and won't stay on.. And that person said it's the right belt "So it must be the right belt"...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So your saying, "That belt isn't a full V grooved belt" and I'm not just seeing things... I'm not sure why your so trusting of someone that sold you a belt that doesn't fit and won't stay on.. And that person said it's the right belt "So it must be the right belt"...
Im not 100% sure as I didn't think much of it but yeah it seemed like a flat belt.

I trusted the seller the same as you do going into Mercedes dealer etc the guy looked up the car the Vin and had stock of the belt, so I bought it, same as you would from any dealer.

The original belt I had was on it for say 6 months sure that belt was the same, why did that last so long and this didn't ? I don't think it is down to this but I shall check. it does fit just something is throwing it off.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Im not 100% sure as I didn't think much of it but yeah it seemed like a flat belt.

I trusted the seller the same as you do going into Mercedes dealer etc the guy looked up the car the Vin and had stock of the belt, so I bought it, same as you would from any dealer.

The original belt I had was on it for say 6 months sure that belt was the same, why did that last so long and this didn't ? I don't think it is down to this but I shall check. it does fit just something is throwing it off.
Belt part number is 014 997 04 92

I think you have angular misalignment of belt tensioner. There is something between mounting surface or pivot bushing is worn. Locked up alternator pulley one way clutch may have contributed to this problem.

Take a look at case 4. and 6.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
right, so im going to pick up a tensioner tonight then & maybe a new belt as well.

I will it and test again, and will let you know :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you have access to gates products you may want to check out their tensioner.
Carl Burr in ml parts photos just ordered a gates and it was a Liten which he thinks is the OEM to Benz.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I asked behind the counter to see I they had anything however no luck :(

Mind im in the UK :p looked up the gates tensioner but didn't want to wait the delivery time so I just got one from the local store.

Fitted and all seems well so far. Took it to the gf's last night and a stressful drive to work thinking it was going to breakdown but it didn't. Looked at it when I got home and then again in work and the belt is sitting where it should.

Going to keep on top of this just in the event this starts to go, how long should it last ?

Oh and I spoke to a mechanic who was looking at it and said its either the crank pully or the tensioner, thoughts on the crank pully comment ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Also some belts have more V tracks in them some with six and some with seven . fitting one with 7 on a 6 grove will throw off the pulley ether to the left or to the right .
Interesting, didn't know that, but guess it makes sense :p I did check the belt, it was a more flat V rib but still seated within the pulleys and was the correct amount of groves.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I asked behind the counter to see I they had anything however no luck :(

Mind im in the UK :p looked up the gates tensioner but didn't want to wait the delivery time so I just got one from the local store.

Fitted and all seems well so far. Took it to the gf's last night and a stressful drive to work thinking it was going to breakdown but it didn't. Looked at it when I got home and then again in work and the belt is sitting where it should.

Going to keep on top of this just in the event this starts to go, how long should it last ?

Oh and I spoke to a mechanic who was looking at it and said its either the crank pully or the tensioner, thoughts on the crank pully comment ?
So for now sounds like problem solved!
Did it take more effort to get the belt on?

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So for now sounds like problem solved!
Did it take more effort to get the belt on?

Hi Guys

Yup, drove it about the past few days, gave it back to my parents to drive down 180 miles to see my grandad and when they got back, looked at the belt and pully, still exactly where it was when they set off ! :D

looks like its sorted. not sure if it was the tensioner that had lost some of its tension or the pully that had too much play but replacing the tensioner has solved it.

Thanks for your help guys !

Wallyo, honestly just felt the same pulling this back to the other one. this is how im so confused by it currently.

Witek: They still do.....

Here is the webpage where you can request 2 free guages.

Cool idea, I'm ordering now.

2000 E ! thanks for the link ! taking a look just now :D

Just had a look :( only ships to the USA thanks anyway :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Whilst I still have you guys, just looking for a quick thought.

so feels like the turbo stops working halfway though a drive, turning the car off and back on then fixes is but as I don't have a boost gauge I cant really tell if it has stoped working etc however theres no woosh noise and its very sluggish.

Anyone came across this problem before ? not in limp mode, can rev past 2500 and turning the car off and back on solves it... going to be doing a smoke test soon for the woosh noise as I think theres a vacume leak somewhere along the intercooler tubing.

·
Registered
351 Posts

so feels like the turbo stops working halfway though a drive, turning the car off and back on then fixes is but as I don't have a boost gauge I cant really tell if it has stoped working etc however theres no woosh noise and its very sluggish.

Anyone came across this problem before ? not in limp mode, can rev past 2500 and turning the car off and back on solves it... going to be doing a smoke test soon for the woosh noise as I think theres a vacume leak somewhere along the intercooler tubing.
You may want to move the above over to Diesel Discussion you will probably get more guidance over there.
Seems that most 163 owners that post here are petrol owners.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok no worries thought it would be worth asking :p

Not surprised the 270 is quite … like my grandad slow ! hahaha
Thanks for your help guys ! :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ok no worries thought it would be worth asking :p

Not surprised the 270 is quite … like my grandad slow ! hahaha
Thanks for your help guys ! :D
Was reading your prior post and thought damn there was a turbo Petrol version when and which was that?

Then after hitting my forehead the light turned on an the inner voice entered saying "that's right he has a diesel and it has a turbo."

But if anyone on the w163 has an answer it would be Witek.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
hahaha we all have our moments :p

@Witek_M how come you know the W163 so much ? how many have you had etc, do you like them or just ? :p You always seem to be the one who comments on my w163 posts :p

·
Registered
6,617 Posts

Start new thread regarding this issue.

I will not able to help as my personal view of diesel engines is "they belong in locomotives"

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
6 Participants
abcdescott
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing