Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pulling to the right...

1286 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  blazin190
I have a 1993 190E 2.3 - 108,000 miles. Very nice auto.

I recently replaced the struts and shocks with new Billstein.

I had the front end alined - twice. The aliment fellow noted that it still pulled to the right, and that it was due to a seperated belt in the right front tire. He could not show me any evidence of this disease.

Anyway, I was reading the MB Club magazine The Star about the W124 MB autos having front end problems, which often manifest themselves as pulling right or left. The current tires were on the car when I bought it five years ago, and are not Michlins, but some clone from Japan. They still have 80% tread, but if they are the problem I would happily get rid of them since a Mercedes is not a Mercedes with make believe tires on the wheels.

Anyone else have these symtoms? What is the life span of front-end parts - this car has never been wrecked nor abused, and has all highway miles. I know the orignial owner. Very clean 190.

I suspose that I could switch the right front tire to the other side or to the rear to see what happens. Logical?

Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
The W201 suspension has numerous jointed contact points, both front and rear, metal, plast...

The W201 suspension has numerous jointed contact points, both front and rear, metal, plastic and rubber. At your present mileage, you could expect that the ball joints in the front, the tie rod and possibly the sway bar/control arm links could all be worn and in need of replacement. In addition, checking the front end alignment and geometry should be done. Don't forget to have the rear 5-link suspension, the subframe mount and the differential mounts taken a look at too.

· Registered
300gd canvas top
56 Posts
re:pulling to the right

hi thomas, this is a common cause of people spending loads of money for no reason. the fact is all m/b"s pull one way or another depending on where in the world they are being driven, over here they pull to the left, this is so that should the driver fall asleep at the wheel the car will steer it"s self away from oncoming traffic and in to the nearside kerb.i know of lots of folks who have spent fortunes trying to lose a fault that dose not exist, as you have found out the dealer can not find a fault with your car , this is because there isnt one. my g wagen also pulls to the left though not as quickly,but you will know why that is!

· Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, a slight pull to the "off-road" safe zone is a good idea, and I am sure part of the consideration when adjusting the steering. However, as suspected, the tires (tyres) were the problem. I had a set of Asian tires on the car that suffered small and unseen belt seperation on the front right tire. This lead to on and off "pulling to the right". For a while I suspected the political climate of pulling to the right, but that was not the cause. A new set of four Michelins fixed the problem. Thanks for your thoughts.

· Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Pulling to the right...Just for the record...

I replaced all four tires. I installed new Michelins 185 65 14" - and the pulling to right has completely been eliminated.

I have since making this change in tires, driven on all road types, at differing speeds, and have experienced no pull whatsoever.

I examined the old tires - Japan. TYROs, or something like that, had 80% tread remaining, but had undetectable belt seperation.

These tires are no comparable to Michelins for build quality. Strange too, the Michelins were less money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.