Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· R.I.P. but not forgotten
'02 UNIMOG® UGN. until its deleted or passes scrutineering.
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nj 3500 prompted a question l haven't seen asked before.

What is the pull rating of the front mount plate on your Mog ?

In case you want to pull someone or something out backwards. Do you have it somewhere in your spec sheets ?

1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
U500

150,000 pounds unmodified.

l had to find it, couldn't remember where it was.

I found this vid that shows a tremendous force put at both ends when the Mog was stuck.
It didn't even budge.
It can make you wonder when it comes to off roading, how big of winch should l buy, what do l anchor to, because it shows the Mog is pretty stout to handle the force from either end.

We know they pull down trees, stump and all. The buddy system is called into play here.

· Registered
Dodge Ram 3500 - eventually a UNIMOG!!
122 Posts
U500

150,000 pounds unmodified.

l had to find it, couldn't remember where it was.

I found this vid that shows a tremendous force put at both ends when the Mog was stuck.
It didn't even budge.
It can make you wonder when it comes to off roading, how big of winch should l buy, what do l anchor to, because it shows the Mog is pretty stout to handle the force from either end.

We know they pull down trees, stump and all. The buddy system is called into play here.

Unimog steckt fest - YouTube
Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

According to this guide which is supposed to be a good one and assuming the mog was stuck up to its frame, it would have taken around 3 times the loaded weight of the vehicle to pull it out. Assuming that 1300 was around 4,500kg (according to AK Voss) that would mean 13,500 kg or roughly 30,000 pounds. Anything short of a massive winch would have had to have broken out the snatch blocks lol.

1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to this guide which is supposed to be a good one and assuming the mog was stuck up to its frame, it would have taken around 3 times the loaded weight of the vehicle to pull it out. Assuming that 1300 was around 4,500kg (according to AK Voss) that would mean 13,500 kg or roughly 30,000 pounds. Anything short of a massive winch would have had to have broken out the snatch blocks lol.
What a coincidence lol

Im that heavy not fully loaded :)

Did l mention mine is modified ? The front plate is connected (reinforced) to the rear where the backhoe is mounted (called a super structure for the front end loader) and connected to other implement mounting points along the frame ? And that is also cross braced ?

It may be over kill, but it was designed to last l suppose without adding extra.

But your question is a good one.

· Unimog Moderator
13,992 Posts
I checked on those, The few companies I called wouldn't rate them for that kind of pull, not the forces, but for winching recovery, I guess in the sea it's not going to come apart and through your windshield, though I'm sure they would have done just fine. Pull pal now makes a decent sized unit, and they have a gang system that you can hook two together, but the price...Well you wanna play you gotta pay, but it wasn't in the cards at the time. Plus, I got to meet the neighbors, hard to put a price on that ;)

Oh, M37Charlie has a Pull-pal (or two?) for his U500

· Unimog Moderator
13,992 Posts
I carry two NOS military straps. 89000lbs test load.

NYLON WEBBING, 1.750 IN. WD. O/A, 8 PLY, 4 LOOPS PER PIN, 89000 POUNDS TEST LOAD, 11 FT. FINISHED LENGTH
Has pulled out everything I've attached it too. Not very long but make great tree straps as well. Oh, and $49.99 on ebay ;)

Part number 68F217-59

Attachments

1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Speaking on recovery tools, l heard south of you on # 1 around Brooks was mirror deep in snow.
Now, l know they weren't talking about your mirrors, but the weather was nasty. Would have been a good place to knock some of that snow around with your plow, and rescue others.

Did you get some of that storm ?

· Unimog Moderator
13,992 Posts
South got it worse than we did. I stayed off the highways, awesome Unimog or not :) No sense in putting me and my wife (she wouldn't let me go on an adventure like that alone!) in danger when trained emergency crews were on their way. Heavy thick fog didn't help. I have to figure something out. The high mount implement lights are awesome for seeing OVER the plow, but they sure light up fog and fluffy snow something fierce, even on dim. I tried aiming them further down towards the road, but then they light up the plow when it's raised and same thing, you can't see SFA. I'm reviewing the "blue light for visibility" thread.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.