Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1997 SL320 Silver w/ Blue Interior
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I found a shop in NC that can rebuild the diff in my 97 SL320 for a reasonable price. I searched for a DIY on pulling the diff but didn't have any luck. Has anyone done this? Anywhere I could look for step-by-step instructions (besides a shop manual)?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
11,008 Posts
Hello,

I found a shop in NC that can rebuild the diff in my 97 SL320 for a reasonable price. I searched for a DIY on pulling the diff but didn't have any luck. Has anyone done this? Anywhere I could look for step-by-step instructions (besides a shop manual)?

Thanks!
Hi mkaman, I'd have to agree with aam that John Roncallo would be the man to consult with in this department. Check out some of his recent posts.

I am unaware of any DIY articles pertaining to the 129.063 (1994-97 SL320) rear differential removal. However, here is an excellent in depth write-up of the 124.032 (1994 E320) rear differential R&R which should be very similar in concept.

DIY: W124 Differential Replacement - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

BTW, could you post any information on the shop in NC that is rebuilding your rear diff? On behalf of more than a dozen of us NC R129 members here on the forum, this would be good to know for future reference.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

· Registered
1997 SL320 Silver w/ Blue Interior
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help. I will check out these posts.

As for the shop in NC, I found it by looking for used differentials on eBay. They didn't have one for an R129 but I noticed that they were selling some reconditioned units for other cars. The shop is in Gastonia and their email address is [email protected]. That is all I know, but they are responsive to e-mail so I'm sure you can find out more. Hope this helps.

· Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
14,978 Posts
Its about as easy a task as it gets.

1) Drain oil
2) Remove 12 axle shaft bolts
3) If you car is equipt with ASR sensors remove them.
4) Remove three nuts and bolts at drive shaft rear coupling and dislodge flex from diff flange by placing a drift in the flex side of each hole and wiggling free.
5) Support diff with jack.
6) Remove 2 aft mounting bolts.
7) Remove forward mounting bolt.

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for your help. I will check out these posts.

As for the shop in NC, I found it by looking for used differentials on eBay. They didn't have one for an R129 but I noticed that they were selling some reconditioned units for other cars. The shop is in Gastonia and their email address is [email protected]. That is all I know, but they are responsive to e-mail so I'm sure you can find out more. Hope this helps.
I would NOT use them. I ordered a bumper off ebay from them in Oct. 09 and I have NOT received it. They wont respond to emails and number they listed is invalid. :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.