Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 4MATIC, 1994 E320, 2000 Ducati M750
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the course of working on the E320 today I pulled off the rotted rusty passenger fender, which came off even easier than the writeups on here say.

I removed the parking light, held in by a clip, then removed the bolts on the top where the fender meets the hood, the 3 near the parking light, then snuck a 10mm wrench behind the bumper and undid that one. After that, I opened the door, removed 3 13 mm bolts there, removed the lower body cladding and removed the last 3 screws. A

All told, it was off in 20 min, including dealing with rusty screws and bolts and the cold weather. The aftermarket fender was complete swiss cheese, though I was happy to see underneth everything was in really good condition. I'm still waiting on a few members to get back to me on fenders they have for sale, so in the mean time I'll be working on other things with it.

In other news, I sanded down the hood edge, which was a ugly mess of rusty paint chips and corrosion, and primed it afterwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 E350 sedan, 2013 E350 cab, 1993 400E sold,1999 ML320
2,436 Posts
Ya blame those salty roads and that overflow tank. My passenger side fender was the same way years ago, then i got hit on the drivers side. When I went to the junkyard to my surprise was a 93 400E just like mine but late model year that was the same color. I got both fenders and the marker lights for 75 buck. I giggled all the way home.

·
Registered
2005 E320 4MATIC, 1994 E320, 2000 Ducati M750
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, My car was hit before at some point, I'm thinking around 2003 or so, but the only things replaced were the hood, passenger fender, headlight and parking light. Inner fender was untouched, and radiator suppport was bent back into shape. The hood is in good shape, but the paint on the leading edge was trashed. I knew when I bought the car it had a reconstructed title, which means for Massachusetts that at some point it was totaled NOT for serious damage, but simply cost exceeding 50% of value, so I'm guessing with that light of damage it had to have happened late in the car's life, as that is some pretty light damage.

For the fender, it was a cheap aftermarket deal, and was never painted all that well on the back side, so it just rotted away. Literally there were gaping holes in the wheel arch section, at the bottom under the cladding, and near the parking light. You could put your whole hand through! I was just really suprised at how easy the fender came off, I didn't even need to screw with the bumper at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts