Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok pulled cluster.working on no center consul lights.found the little bastard fuse attached to back of cluster.yep its blown.so I soldered it with some thin copper strands.reassembled.hooked batt back fired up the engine,tested all systems .console lights working! yeah great.then turned on a/c good.then heater. lights started flashing (center console) then they went off. also fuse #9 blew. so I guess that small fuse I fixed must have blown again.must have dead short somewhere .what to do now? did not have stereo head in.whats a bad relay do?
Its weird console lights just start flashing on and off about 20 seconds then off?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Great now inst cluster lights are all out to.fuse # 5 that controls this is good?
you have to love electrical problems!:surrender:
tomorrow I will pull out cluster and inspect it.suspect rheostat .bypass it .inst lights worked fine before I pulled it

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Aaaahhhhh Grasshopper - this was sent to test you !

You've got me befuddled fuse #9 then #5 ?

I did discover that fuse after your last thread when I was replacing my cluster Bax Globes with LED's. Fiddly little bogger it is !

I suspect your troubles may lie deeper than simply the cluster mate. You seem to have problems coming from all directions.

This ain't one of them soya bean wiring harness cars is it ???

Not sure which of your cars we are talking about !

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
Might be the fuse that died again, or one of the main cables not plugged in properly, causing your dash to flicker.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking 2 separate problems 1 console lights= bad rheostat & mini fuse.lost inst lights after pulling cluster and reinstalling.after searching posts found 9 out of ten times it was a bad or broken connection at rheostat

2. fuse 9= aftermarket stereo and or automatic annt. in trunk.I'm going to disco the annt power at the trunk see if it helps with #9 fuse blowing
1992 300e
This is the ebay special my son bought in September .we really didn't drive it around due to blown head gasket which is now repaired.so I don't know the history of the car . only thing I can see that's been changed is the radio and there was moister in the trunk annt location.had cracked lens and missing mast allowing moister to form. I don't think I disturbed anything while doing the HG.the wiring harness seems good ,not brittle all connections on engine came off and went back on with no problems.only thing I did wrong was degrease the motor and engine bay cause it was filthy maybe water got into electrical component somewhere? I did fire up the engine after cleaning and warmed it up and blew all the water with compressed air.I've done this to my 300se with no problems at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts