Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my first try at an oil change didn't go so well. Seconds after starting the engine afterwards oil spewed out around the bottom of the plastic filter-can soaking the front of the engine and serpentine belt as well as the floor. I would estimate about a quart escaped in an impressive lubricant fountain focused in the direction of the cooler.
The O-ring did appear to be pushed out there although I only installed it hand tight.
Using the Mann filter I replaced all three of the O-rings, placing the largest top ring on the top indention touching the sealing rim of the filter-can.
There is a second indention lower down inside the housing, maybe I should have used that one? or possibly both with an extra ring?

·
Registered
951 Posts
It sounds like you didn't get one of the O-rings seated properly when putting it back together. I forget how many O-rings there are, but I think there were three smaller ones that go in slots before you slide the filter on, and then there's the large one that needs to seat properly as you thread it back into the housing. I put a thin film of oil on all of them so that they don't get bound up as you're tightening it.

If you can see part of an O-ring sticking out that would certainly be a sign that it didn't seat properly. You'll need to take it back apart, make sure all the O-rings are seated correctly in place and then tighten to the proper spec - 20 or 25 Newton-meters I think, but it should be written on the top of the oil filter housing. And yes, you'll have to clean up that oily mess as well as you can.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i don't have a 6 cyl. but in using these types of paper filters on my c230 and other german cars the big o ring does not go at the very edge of the cap which sounds like how you did it. it goes in a slot that is not at the edge of the cap but rather some small distance from the edge of the cap. the slot is the exact right size for the o ring. too late now but look at the old rings when you remove and put new ones in same place. and as the other post said lube them with fresh oil when installing.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,709 Posts
Here's a photo I found that shows the proper location of the oil filter cap o-ring:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, moving the ring to it's proper location did fix the problem. I'm using the Adam defense on this because it did notice where it was originally but my wife (the woman God have me) was able to convince me that it should go elsewhere. So I've used a roll of paper towels and a bag of oil-dry trying to clean everything up. Thankfully the serpentine belt is not squealing or slipping, that I notice.
I did also add a brass washer around the drain plug. (13mm btw). There was not one on it but I felt it might need one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was odd, the part recommended for this engine at Advance auto parts was a package of five washers and they were all of different designs and materials. The one I chose appeared to be the best fit because the OD was smaller and because the shape of the oil pan starts to curve around slightly very close to the plug itself I thought it would be least likely to have interference. I'm not sure it's Brass, it is some type of copper colored metal but it does not seem to have the crush feature formed into it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here's a photo I found that shows the proper location of the oil filter cap o-ring:

Rodney,
On the C240, the MANN oil filter comes with five O-rings, there are two that are the same size, about 1". Is one of these extra? In the past I only used one of those but this time I put both on (they fit in grooves that are about 1/4 inch apart below the filter element. Is this the right way or should I just use one of the 1" o-rings?

Also does it matter which end the filter element is inserted into the cap? (is there an up and down?)

Thanks.

·
18,709 Posts
I seem to always have two O-rings leftover from my Mann filter kits. I use four of them - the smallest on the bottom of the shaft, two of the same size on the shaft, and the largest on the cap. I found a photo showing the assembly and location of o-rings (see below). As for direction of the filter, no there is no up/down orientation. However, do make sure the filter is pressed all the way onto the shaft. They used to put marks on the filter that needed to be inside the cap. The last few I've had dis not have those marks, though.

·
18,709 Posts
Nope - only one o-ring there. It goes in the middle of the two "shoulders".

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The filter comes with five o rings because it's for multiple applications. It fits the 112/113 engines initially but also used again for the 272/273 engines. The former uses only one of each ring (four in total) and discards the duplicate, while the latter only uses the large ring and twin medium ones (three in total), discarding the two smaller ones.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The filter comes with five o rings because it's for multiple applications. It fits the 112/113 engines initially but also used again for the 272/273 engines. The former uses only one of each ring (four in total) and discards the duplicate, while the latter only uses the large ring and twin medium ones (three in total), discarding the two smaller ones.
Thanks John for the excellent explanation.
There is always a reason.
I would suggest novices should take extra care when replacing their o rings to ensure they get the right ones in the right places.
Maybe take a photo before removal,and just do one at a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
Benzyle
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing