Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 300SL

I found a large puddle of clear odorless liquid (slightly viscous) near the front passenger side of the engine compartment a few days ago. Wiper fluid indicator has been on. Today, low coolant indicator came on although I just flushed the engine and put in new coolant in March. Could this puddle be leaking coolant even though it has no smell? Suggestions for the cause of the leak?

Thanks.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
Check your coolant level to start with, as your car is telling you it is missing some.

When coolant leaks, it usually leaves a traces, therefor check your radiator and hoses above the puddle.

Don't rely on odor.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts
If the fluid tastes sweet, it's coolant. If it tastes like soap/water, it's washer fluid. Each requires a different remedy to repair.

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
1991 300SL

I found a large puddle of clear odorless liquid (slightly viscous) near the front passenger side of the engine compartment a few days ago. Wiper fluid indicator has been on. Today, low coolant indicator came on although I just flushed the engine and put in new coolant in March. Could this puddle be leaking coolant even though it has no smell? Suggestions for the cause of the leak?

Thanks.
Hmmm, this probably should be classed as 'not recommended' but assuming you have anti-freeze in the coolant it will taste very sweet if you put a tiny drop on your tongue. I did it last week and I'm still alive. This is not recommended however if you own a pussy cat ;).
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
Leaking hydraulic fluid

When cars are parked downhill, and the front lock hydraulic cylinders for the soft top are leaking, the hydraulic fluid can travel down inside the A-pillars, forward through the frame, and come out in front of the front tires... (That's the fortunate case where it doesn't drip on your seats! ;))

I realize this is likely not it, because you probably would have mentioned if the fluid was oily. Also, old top hydraulic fluid is usually grey from oxidized metals and gaskets in the system.

I'm posting this just for completeness, for people who are coming across this thread while searching the forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts