Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DONT BUY A CAR WITH A BROKEN SUNROOF!

DONT ATTEMPT TO FIX YOUR BROKEN SUNROOF!

DONT TAKE YOUR SUNROOF APART!

:confused::(:crybaby2::mad::surrender::eek:

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I did all three...

The S/R is a PITA, but it is fixable. I have done several DIY's on the subject. The "Timing" still eludes me. But the tracks are easy to fix.

What is wrong with yours?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my angles were broken. grabbed some from the jy. didn't document the disassembly.

thought i could set my panel in for a short trip without securing it. it blew out and got ruined. grabbed a new one from the jy.

put the new angles and new panel in but didn't do it quite right and didn't have any paste.

all was well as it was until i could fix it 100% but i kept fidgeting with the button because some air would seep in from time to time.

well all that fidgeting just cost me another angle because it broke.

seriously, i took this apart months ago and i am not organized nor do i have a memory of what i did and the service manual is useless.

so come visit the finger lakes wine country and fix my roof bc i am not awesome like you.

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
thought i could set my panel in for a short trip without securing it. it blew out and got ruined.

well all that fidgeting just cost me another angle because it broke.
I think I can imagine the curses and the @#$%^ thoughts going through your mind when all that happened and even now

:)

Cheers

·
Registered
1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
1,380 Posts
My guides broke a while ago, i replaced a whole bunch of parts, my mechanic did the work, its like new now.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My buddy just seriously offered me $1500 as is. Sunroof is broke, a small rust spot on each fender under the turn signals, passenger seat switch has a short somewhere. 14X,XXX miles...

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
My buddy just seriously offered me $1500 as is. Sunroof is broke, a small rust spot on each fender under the turn signals, passenger seat switch has a short somewhere. 14X,XXX miles...
Oh geez mike! All I have to say is that I'm glad my car doesn't have a sunroof. Considering selling? Sounds like you're fed up. Wish we would've gotten to that roof this summer, time flies. Best of luck bud! Shoot me an email/call if you need any help.

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,584 Posts
you wouldn't have all this trouble w/ a gen one car. no tilt, but far simpler mechanism. but still it's a PITA i aggree

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh geez mike! All I have to say is that I'm glad my car doesn't have a sunroof. Considering selling? Sounds like you're fed up. Wish we would've gotten to that roof this summer, time flies. Best of luck bud! Shoot me an email/call if you need any help.
Yeah I think I might sell it. It is a very nice car overall and wouldn't take muc to make it perfect but it's not a color combo that I am crazy about and I am just so frusterated with the whole thing.

I just placed an order yesterday morning for the 3 specialty tools to properly put the sunroof back together and then this happened. The tools were only $2 for the r/l alignment adjusters and $30 for some pliers :confused: but still annoying.

You will be getting an email from me as we need you to be our webmaster for the club :D

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,391 Posts
If the job is too complicated to do yourself, pay someone who knows what they're doing to fix it. There's no reason to get mad if you don't even know what you're doing

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
you wouldn't have all this trouble w/ a gen one car. no tilt, but far simpler mechanism. but still it's a PITA i aggree
Maybe that's why mine has never given me any trouble? Thank goodness for that because I use it all the time and can't live without it..lol. I did spray the tracks with some silicone lube just to help things along, since I don't have any of the official MB lube and it's a pain to get any.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts