Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1970 U900
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing a PTO Transfer Box from a 406 that I recently purchased. It was used to run a snowblower. It mounts on the rear and sends the PTO back forward via a subframe and shaft assembly. It also has a pump and plumbing to move the shoot and provide up and down for the blower unit. Does anybody know who made this? I can't find a data plate on it anywhere and I am not really sure what else it could be used for. What I do know is it is really really heavy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1976 406
509 Posts
My guess is that it was made by Schmidt. The challenge with that box, if someone wants to use it as a front PTO reverser, is that the input and the output are on the same side of the case.

BTW, do you have any photos of the steel bracket laying on the ground below your rear bumper, attached to the truck?

BWSwede

·
Registered
1970 U900
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't but I do now. The frame held a mid point block for the forward pointing shaft. It measures out to be 30'' wide by 44'' long at the base. It was mounted roughly half way up the frame with the forward mounts being just infront of the fuel tank. The shaft block was mounted under the square end.

Attachments

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
To help with clarity I *moved and changed this thread to using the term "invertor box" instead of reversal box. Reversal box usualy applies to a box that allows you to use the PTO in forward or reverse rotation direction and not a box that redirects a secont PTO shaft the inverse direction.

If anyone has a better term than "inverse" let me know and I'll change it in this thread.

*Moved from http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/1307041-pto-reversal-box.html

·
Registered
1983 U1200 (parted out), 1979 U1700L
891 Posts
I have always heard these refereed to as PTO transfer boxes.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
sdo said:
I have always heard these refereed to as PTO transfer boxes.
Noted and changed thank you. " Invertor Box" didnt seem right to me but I couldn't think of anything better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts