Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Sold .....1987 U1250 Unimog
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my clutch out as it has been slipping, Im wondering if the play on the input shaft of my PTO box is normal? I also have a slight what seems to be grinding noise when I rotate the PTO portion of the input.

IS this Normal?
how much play should there be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,371 Posts
Hello Dave, I seem to recall having a similar amount of play on mine. My setup has less than 6000hrs. So I suspect it is normal, but others will no doubt have mre certain info. My thrust (release) bearings and pilot bearing was also fine.
Found a suitable clutch ?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Dave...Since the oil isn't splashing up on the bearings/bushings ect....it will probably have some noise...as far as play there should be a spec for lateral movement....

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
The play is normal, as the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft is what supports the outside end of the shaft. The grinding sounds like the splines dragging on the collar around the input shaft, to know if it is an issue or not, you need to have the input shafts held in such a way as to have them in alignment as if it were installed in the truck. If you have the noise with the pilot bearing surface supported in alignment, then you have an issue, if there is no noise then, you are ok.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The play is normal, as the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft is what supports the outside end of the shaft. The grinding sounds like the splines dragging on the collar around the input shaft, to know if it is an issue or not, you need to have the input shafts held in such a way as to have them in alignment as if it were installed in the truck. If you have the noise with the pilot bearing surface supported in alignment, then you have an issue, if there is no noise then, you are ok.

Cheers,
Ben
That make a lot of sense actually, that pilot bearing would take all that play out, I suspect if I align it I will be good.

Would anyone change a seal or bearing on this pto, or is it advisable to leave it alone if it isn't leaking?

·
Registered
a couple round ones
1,334 Posts
imjustdave
I cant comment on your clutch issues buuuuuuuuut..
by the number/frequency and depth of your recent posts it looks like you are getting into some of the fun parts of a Mog.
So this is a pat on the back and a 'good on you'!!
G Vavra

I almost forgot..... Try not to get stressed as most of the answers are as near as your keyboard.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imjustdave
I cant comment on your clutch issues buuuuuuuuut..
by the number/frequency and depth of your recent posts it looks like you are getting into some of the fun parts of a Mog.
So this is a pat on the back and a 'good on you'!!
G Vavra

I almost forgot..... Try not to get stressed as most of the answers are as near as your keyboard.
Thanks... I honestly would rather drive and enjoy it but pretty soon I will know way to much about Unimogs... well I already do but .. I have to admit some of my Q are related to saving money, as I hate spending X for something latter to find out I could have saved 50% by doing y My wife is flexible with my hobby but pretty soon shes going to pull out the calculator and go postal. Her sewing machine costs are well chump change to my spending habits LOL.

In return I hope what I learn in tearing apart everything can help the next person.

Again thank you to everyone for your help :)

In case anyone is curious the clutch weights in at 38 KG or 81 lbs.. Plus flywheel .. WOW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts