Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used something other then the OEM PTO hydraulic pump or air compressors? If so which one?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that your hydraulic pump?
Do you know how does the stock air system work, does it run off the PTO or directly off the engine...my truck has a tank and lines but no compressor.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ok thats strange you got a 416 with no compressor? The brakes on all 406/416's (I seen) are air over hydralic, Lots have 4x4 actuaters and diff locks, and even window wipers that run on air.

The compressor should be on the pasanger side of the engine behind the Injection pump it runs off the cam shaft. Theres a steel line that feeds the air tank, and a ruber hose comeing from the valve cover. Theres another type of air pump that runs off a V belt a front.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for that picture, I'll go check it right now.
I didnt notice any air lines going to the wheels for the brakes...just hydraulic.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Wow that did help....did a couple of searches and nothing as good as that came up.

Now if I can find a hydraulic ram cylinder for the dump bead
Fair point, probably more accurate to say search can be a hot little number: Great when she feels like playing along and a real PIA the rest of the time.

C.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I didnt notice any air lines going to the wheels for the brakes...just hydraulic.
The air lines don't go to the brakes, they go to the brake booster. It's on the firewall right behind your master cylinder.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The air lines don't go to the brakes, they go to the brake booster. It's on the firewall right behind your master cylinder.
Okay, I have no idea how it works then.
Whats the point of it then? Does it just assist the hydraulic system? Would that explain why the brakes are really poor?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The 406-416 does not have air brakes, but are air over hydraulic. Or better to say air assist. The stock hydraulic pump on your truck is belt driven off of the motor. That is if your truck has the hydraulic system installed. If it has it you will have a hydraulic tank on the pass. side under the hood. If not, it is not a big deal to add the factory system. I have them for sale used, and install them all the time in customers trucks.

·
Unimog Moderator
13,046 Posts
The air over hydraulic is like vehicles that use vacuum boosters, its simply to help boost the pressure, on a 416, if you loose air pressure, you still have "some" brakes, perhaps your truck isn't building pressure or there's a major leak, hence why the brakes suck.

I can tell you on my old 416, standing on the brake pedal in an emergancy braking situation would throw you though the windshield if you weren't strapped in, the brakes on these trucks are typically very good.

EDIT: didn't see VON's post, so...+1!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did locate the compressor, now that I know what I was looking for...lol
I don't see a hydraulic pump....and def no hydraulic tank on the passenger side.
Would it be better to go with the stock setup or one that runs off the PTO?

My truck is strange....it has a tipper bead and the pins to have it switch from left, right. and rear....and the two balls on the frame to mount the ram cylinder....but nothing else that I notice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The air over hydraulic is like vehicles that use vacuum boosters, its simply to help boost the pressure, on a 416, if you loose air pressure, you still have "some" brakes, perhaps your truck isn't building pressure or there's a major leak, hence why the brakes suck.

I can tell you on my old 416, standing on the brake pedal in an emergancy braking situation would throw you though the windshield if you weren't strapped in, the brakes on these trucks are typically very good.

EDIT: didn't see VON's post, so...+1!
I agree, there must be a issue with the air system then.

·
Unimog Moderator
13,046 Posts
I did locate the compressor, now that I know what I was looking for...lol
I don't see a hydraulic pump....and def no hydraulic tank on the passenger side.
Would it be better to go with the stock setup or one that runs off the PTO?

My truck is strange....it has a tipper bead and the pins to have it switch from left, right. and rear....and the two balls on the frame to mount the ram cylinder....but nothing else that I notice.
That's not strange, LOTS of trucks came with the tipper bed and or removable 3pt board, but no hydro/ram/tank etc

With Unimogs, almost nothing is strange ;) or, everything is strange

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Funny you mentioned that,...since the cab is almost a complete rust bucket, and I'm desperately in need of more room in the cab. And I know how hard it is to get a four door cab. Has any one done a cab swap that's not a per-say unimog cab that looks good?

I really don't know why they had a long wheelbase frame with a short bead...or a two door cab...unless they had something in the middle with no hydraulic options.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts