Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
W140 1998 S320
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear every one

First i want to thank all members in the wonderful forum whom make me do lots of things in my MB

yestrday i manged to run the PSE pump after i fixed the burned pump
every thing now work fine except few strange things

1- trunk handle comes up when i close the trunk not when i open it
2- door lock hardly goes down and want to close but it dosen't
3- today i went out to try the A/C before that there was no air from center vents witch works now, when i acclrate it cuts out and come back again and when it cuts out the center air goes to the windshield ... Strange haa

please help me out with this

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
Polarity reversed? Are the locks backwards too? The PSE pump aso acts as a reserve for the dash ducts when engine vacuum is low...maybe it's backwards too?

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEC 1989
196 Posts
Dear every one

First i want to thank all members in the wonderful forum whom make me do lots of things in my MB

yestrday i manged to run the PSE pump after i fixed the burned pump
every thing now work fine except few strange things

1- trunk handle comes up when i close the trunk not when i open it
2- door lock hardly goes down and want to close but it dosen't
3- today i went out to try the A/C before that there was no air from center vents witch works now, when i acclrate it cuts out and come back again and when it cuts out the center air goes to the windshield ... Strange haa

please help me out with this
How did you fix the burned out PSE pump? By buying a new PSE pump, or buying a new motor and replacing that in the original PSE pump housing? Because many of the DC motors you can get to replace the orginal motor, have reverse polarity of the original one (plus and minus). That will explain why everytime it should create a vacuum, it will create pressure instead (i.e. the trunk handle that comes up when it should retract).

Good luck!

·
Registered
W140 1998 S320
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you paul

I replaced the burned motor with used one from an older MB 190 i think and it act in very strang way, do you think if i reverse the motor wire could make it work

waitting for you

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEC 1989
196 Posts
There are many threads here in the forums describing how you can rebuild the PSE pump, if you look for them you will see that they report having to reverse the polarity on the motor.

So yes, if you want your central locking to work, I'd try reversing the wires on the motor. But I'm not guaranteeing anything!! :)

·
Registered
W140 1998 S320
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PSE pump

There are many threads here in the forums describing how you can rebuild the PSE pump, if you look for them you will see that they report having to reverse the polarity on the motor.

So yes, if you want your central locking to work, I'd try reversing the wires on the motor. But I'm not guaranteeing anything!! :)
I saw many threads in the subject matter but none of the threads help me out in the wires issue I'll check again hope find something and in the meantime please how much the oem motor cost

·
Registered
694 Posts
Mercedes doesn't offer the motor separately, and the pump assembly is upwards of $1000.

·
Registered
W140 1998 S320
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Polarity reversed? Are the locks backwards too? The PSE pump aso acts as a reserve for the dash ducts when engine vacuum is low...maybe it's backwards too?
Thanks alot I have to try reversing the poles to find out the problem

·
Registered
W140 1998 S320
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pse pump

Thanks alot I have to try reversing the poles to find out the problem

·
Registered
W140 1998 S320
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mercedes doesn't offer the motor separately, and the pump assembly is upwards of $1000.
I mange to have it from a local dealer for less than 15$ disassexmbleed from used pse pump and for my pse I removed the old burned motor myself and set the new one but as you said and Paul its a matter of polarity reverse

Waite for me to check it some time soon :bowdown:Q

·
Registered
W140 1998 S320
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Good News

yesterday i removed the rear seat, take out the PSE pump open it and reverse the poles set all back again and get it in the car and here are the results....

1- A/C work fine Air does not cut any more with driving the car.
2- Trunk latch works as it should but hardly get in when closing (Pipe cinecter to the PSE for sure).
3- Still no Door Locking nothing moves up or dawn ????

ok for the PSE pump it work as it should still need help with
1- front seat bags
2- door locks
3- trunk (does not open when i press the button in the console

by the way my PSE plastic conecters does not locked in to the PSE and Air comes out and i hear the Air hissss!!!

how you people can help me out with this

·
Premium Member
1998 140.070 CL500, 1966 406.121 U65
1,463 Posts
by the way my PSE plastic conecters does not locked in to the PSE and Air comes out and i hear the Air hissss!!!
Well, do you see any connection between operating of the equipment (doors, or seat
bag), and hiss from the connectors? If so, wouldn't it be pretty obvious what to fix?

br,
syljua

·
Registered
694 Posts
The elbow at the end of the hoses have the tabs to lock the connectors onto the pump. Are they damaged? Perhaps you can try holding the hoses down against the pump while someone actuates the locks? The nipple for the door locks should be marked ZV on the pump and the hose should be yellow, and the one to the trunk should be marked SFG and the hose black. The nipple for the lumbar bags in the seats is marked P+ and the hose should be gray.

·
Registered
Mercedes 420 SEC 1989
196 Posts
Good News

yesterday i removed the rear seat, take out the PSE pump open it and reverse the poles set all back again and get it in the car and here are the results....

1- A/C work fine Air does not cut any more with driving the car.
2- Trunk latch works as it should but hardly get in when closing (Pipe cinecter to the PSE for sure).
3- Still no Door Locking nothing moves up or dawn ????

ok for the PSE pump it work as it should still need help with
1- front seat bags
2- door locks
3- trunk (does not open when i press the button in the console

how you people can help me out with this
You should also be aware that the w140 came with a different type of PSE manifold after 1995, maybe someone has bought a new pump and that pump doesn't fit the older style manifold, or viseversa.

An older post I made:

Check that the manifold (the thing with all the rubber hoses connected to it) sits securly on the pump, if not, it might not be the correct one for your pse pump.

If it's not that, you can try suctioning/blowing in each of the pipes, to see if there is a leakage... :p

·
Registered
'06 S430
83 Posts
I just replace the pump motor itself and I found that two connections/nipples off from the pump were broke in the right angle connectors during reassembly. My two that broke went to the manifolds so I removed those hoses completely and replaced with regular rubber vacuum hose. Worked good. The pump motor replacement I used a motor off from one of those 12V air compressors. The brush cap was identical to the OEM but the armature on the original was destroyed as I put in on a lathe to true it up but was to thin and worn. The air compressor motor was shorter and the output shaft wasn't notched like the original so I replaced the compressors armature shaft with the original shaft. Yes it was a project but actually turned out well. Locks, trunk and rear headrests all working again. Now I think I have seat bladders that need replacing.

·
Registered
'06 S430
83 Posts
Just an update. Below is the motor I used to replace the OE motor. Almost identical besides the shaft. Ground a flat in the shaft and now all set.

PSE Pump Motor Vacuum Hobby

1 - 20 of 20 Posts