Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had discovered that the alarm was not working on my car a while after I purchased it used under the Starmark program. The dealership replaced the PSE under warranty. Now, that was almost 5 years ago, but I had a failure again last year. That time, it was the connectors that had corroded, so badly that one of the pins stuck and pulled out of the circuit board. But, I was able to repair it.

Sunday I went to the car to retrieve an item from the trunk, and the alarm sounded as soon as I opened it. Turned out that the car was locked (and the alarm armed), but the trunk lock had not engaged. Well, at least the alarm was working. A little diagnosis revealed that the air/vacuum pump itself in the PSE was not working properly.

I disassembled the PSE and removed the pump and motor assembly. Testing on the bench revealed that the pump would sometimes run and sometimes not. The pump itself is a rotary vane type (What’s that? Here’s an animation I found: http://www.pumpschool.com/principles/vane_ani.htm ). I took it apart and noticed that the rotor holding the vanes would stick to the pump wall. I lubricated this with graphite power and reassembled it. I also cleaned the motor armature and brushes. After this, the pump started and ran reliably for several tries. I put the whole mess back together, and the system is working again. Not sure how long it will last. I would sure hate to have to pay for a complete PSE if only the electric motor proves to be bad.

This system seems way more complicated than it needs to be.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
That type of vacuum pump is common in aircraft, and is usually VERY reliable. The graphite should do the trick for as long as you own the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts