Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After I replaced the driver door lock actuator, while connecting the hoses at the PSE, I was surprised to find that FT (Front Passenger Door) is holding the pressure and that BFT (Front Driver Door) is still showing leak. (All my 4 doors are leaking before the repair, so far, I only repaired Driver door.)

My initial thought was, OK, I must have made a mistake when I labeled the air hoses. So I connected FT (passenger door) air hose to BFT (driver door) port on PSE. The driver door now locks and unlocks (but soft close does not work.)

I then saw this thread: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2750546-need-expert-help-regards-softclose-pse.html

In post 1, it says “When manually testing the pump-connections for leaks I found out that the drivers door and front passenger door seemed to be wrongly connected to the pump. When putting pressure in the BFT (should be drivers door) I would hear it in the passenger door, and vice versa. “

I could have made a mistake when I labeled the air hoses, but I doubt that is the case.

I'm baffled.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Soft close issue solved. It turned out that w220.ee has a documentation error. BFT and FT are reversed in the documentation. FT is the driver door. However, it depends on what is right and what is left. w220.ee is using the word "left" and "right", it does not use the word "driver" and "passenger". Conventionally, left is driver side. right is passenger side.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good catch!

I think the problem with the documentation could be related to the fact that Ricebubbles who reverse-engineered the designation of ports is from Australia and has right-hand-drive W220 and hence the designation should indeed use the terms driver and passenger instead.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, left and right terminology is to avoid confusion. Driver and passenger terminology will cause confusion.

It all depends how you determine which is left and which is right. It is viewed from the occupants view.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, and from occupants view left is left and right is right no matter in which side you have the steering wheel.

I think that to not make two different PSE pumps one for LHD and another for RHD vehicles, the port FT indeed designates driver's door no matter on which side of the car it is.

P.S. The designation has been clarified in wiki. Thank you for bringing up this issue!

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Yes, and from occupants view left is left and right is right no matter in which side you have the steering wheel....
P.S. The designation has been clarified in wiki.
Hi Pokseva,
That is very interesting and thanks for fixing the confusion. I tried to make the wiki independent of whether the vehicle was LHD or RHD. There are still a couple of PSE circuit diagrams which refer to left and right and will need fixing when I get time. They are in the Section "Internal Pneumatic Schematic".
It's about time United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, India, Japan, South Africa, Caribbean, Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Pakistan, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Malaysia et alia changed to drive on the same side of the road as North America, China and Europe et alia and we wouldn't have this issue. Or perhaps you guys should change!! I know which side has the most population.
Regards,
Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing