Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PSE vacuum pump illustrated in this picture has broken due to water damage. As you can see, it has a part number of 1708000548 and it has one white connector. My local MB dealer's parts department sold me a 1708000848 which is the latest one in the revision series; however, this part has an extra black connector next to the white connector. Will this 1708000848 part work with my '99 SLK230?

Picture:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 200K
52 Posts
I also replace my old PSE with only one connector with a new version with the extra black connector.
Like cacecef mentioned you can disregard the extra connector.

The only problem that I found is when I open manually the trunk (with the key) the PSE starts to click and never stops until I use the remote.
Can you confirm this behavior?

I return to the dealer, and they try to "program it", they say that tried every thing and is the way it is, they can't do anything more.

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,407 Posts
I also replace my old PSE with only one connector with a new version with the extra black connector.
Like cacecef mentioned you can disregard the extra connector.

The only problem that I found is when I open manually the trunk (with the key) the PSE starts to click and never stops until I use the remote.
Can you confirm this behavior?
Fitragem, can you recall the part numbers? What was in there and what you replaced it with?

The 1708000848 is the replacement for the 1708000448
1708000548 is a different model - but if it works...lucky you!

·
Registered
1999 SLK 200K
52 Posts
My old PSE is an 1708000548 however it was already broken when I bought the car, so I don't know if was the original.

The problem with my old PSE is the pump motor, the motor brushes were over used and didn't make contact.
I tried to search for a replacement motor but is seems that no one knows a valid substitute.
I remember that you did some work on this matter but also didn't find a replacement.

My new PSE is an 1708000848 (this is the part number on the receipt).
The first I get didn't produce enough vacuum (the dealer didn't believe me but I tested it with a syringe) and after they check it they replace it.
I didn't confirmed the part number of the PSE present on my car.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks
Yes you are correct, I did do some research on a replacement motor.
Found one, tried it - but no success, motor still didnt fire - making me think that in addition to the burnt out motor, it was something else on the PCB/control.

I got a hold of 2 more used PSE's (condition unknown ex Germany for EU200 landed in Oz), the 548 and the 748, with only the 2 plugs similar to the one photographed above but even minus the left hand front plug!. On closer inspection (opened up) - both had failed white plugs, one even had a pin corroded off. I attempted to drill, repin, solder, but the solder wont take to the sodler pads and the solder pads around the pins came away leading to a more significiant problem - reattaching the tiny solder pads to the circuit board traces. I'll need to find a capable electronics engineer to achieve that.
Needless to say, I pulled the motor (and pummp drive) from the 748 and put it in my 448. Set it in the car and as per my first trial with the alternate motor - no fire.
So now I gotta scruitinise the wiring diagrams and test incoming power to the PSE.

Note: The 548 and the 748 were very similar in design internally and very very much simpler (refined) than the 448. Seems that after successfull operation of the 448, MB consolidated the electronics into bulk chips and cut down on PCB costs. Funny, when you see the amount of electronics on one of these, a guy told me that a run of only even a 1000 of these would set only you back about UD$40 per board (minus the engineering involved). More than 1000 and you get them for less of course.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I got a replacement motor from here....
12V 6,500 RPM DC Electric Motor - Jaycar Electronics.

however I'm sure you can pickup any similar model defunct MB PSE for other MB models (3 or 5 door) cheaply and dismantle for the motor.
search ebay.de for ..... lung* pump* there's stacks

I noted previously that I had a couple of "spare" PSE's with suspect pin connectors. I swapped the motor I purchased (the one above) with one of "my spare" ones but didnt have any success. I now need to work out if I'm getting 12V to the unit (pinouts). Fuse is okay. So I'm hopping I can query WIS for a circuit diagram. Unfortunately I have to reload WIS as I deleted it off the computer I installed it on. very large 5GB I recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the black plug on my facelift sedan. I believe this is to the trunk or alarm. My circuit board got defect due to water and moist damage over several years i believe. When disconnecting the black plug, the alarm is engaged if the car is in locked state if i remember correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.