Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys... I came home from work, parked the car & behold.............Saw a drop of PS fluid on the left side. Opened the hood & it was the lower PS hose. I could move the hose in & out with my hand. (I should mention the day I got the car I did tighten the same clamp). I tried tightening it again but the clamp was faulty........Besides the fact that the clamp was bad, the end of the hose was all softish & looked eaten up at the clamp area.
My options are:
1. To cut maybe 1,5 - 2 cm of the end of the hose & use a new clamp.
2. Cut the hose & extend it with a piece of new pipe +connector.
If I use the connector option, can the connector by plastic or it must be metal? How hot does the PS fluid get?

Has anyone tried cutting the pipe(option1) without extending it? Does it work?I mean wont it be pulled out due to being shorter?
I am talking about hose 123 in the pic

Attachments

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,597 Posts
Art, this hose was subject of two campaigns. First, they replaced the clamp but it did not fix. Second campaign replaced the hose and fixed the problem, at least in my car. Do you have a MB dealer around that you can call and find out if the PS hose was replaced?

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Merz, thanks for the reply. My car came into the country in 2007 from UK. I don't think my dealer will know anything about it. Also the clamp was a slotted one which tells me the previous owner didn't bother about any recalls.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy who bought my 320 had the same issue. What he did was he removed the complete hose & had the complete rubber part of the hose replaced. There is a place here were they fuse the banjo part of the hose to new rubber hose.......
What do you think about that?
I know......you would say order a new MB part from the dealer........

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,597 Posts
The guy who bought my 320 had the same issue. What he did was he removed the complete hose & had the complete rubber part of the hose replaced. There is a place here were they fuse the banjo part of the hose to new rubber hose.......
What do you think about that?
I know......you would say order a new MB part from the dealer........
If you are so against getting a new part, I would replace the rubber hose. I am guessing problem is the rubber hose gives up over time and increases in diameter. Cutting 2 cm and reattaching is not going to be a long term solution.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am very pro original parts. Its the dealer prices I am against. Its RHD hose so I cant get it from amazon.....I will post later the price. My EPC says its Euro 183-00 in Germany, I can only imagine the price here........

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,742 Posts
I would replace just the rubber hose art. See if you can get some hi temp oil hose as it will get as hot as the radiator temp if not more. Shortening it will fix it for a bit until you get some new hose.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,000 Posts
art, there are a few things to consider:

1. can you afford the downtime of the truck while they fabricate the hose and will it be done properly including all the bends?

2. getting the correct clamp 000 995 83 10.

3. does the present nipple at the radiator have a flare at the end of it? If it doesn't, then I would consider replacing it with one that does. The flare prevents the hose from flying off under pressure (known issue).

4. what's the price difference between the fabrication and new?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Matt & Jim for the reply . I will remember to get hi temp Matt.
Jim, I have already removed the pipe & got the correct clamp. I will check the nipple( didn't think of it). The "fabrication" will take like 45 minutes while I wait. I choose the rubber hose low/high pressure etc etc.....Then they remove the existing rubber hose from the existing metal tubing. Then the new rubber hose goes in & they use the same original clamps to reclamp the old metal part to the new rubber.
I have posted some pics of the damage.
I got the price from the dealer. PLEASE SIT DOWN........$ 478-00..... just imagine. I will have it fabricated for less then $50-00 & most probably better quality. I am thinking I will get high pressure, high temp pipe. There are no sudden twists on the rubber part & it is straight, so if the new rubber will be a bit less flexible it wont matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 ML500,Sport; 2014 ML550; 2009 ACURA TSX
868 Posts
I try to seat down and buckle up, however the price tag was so high, I fell off my chair.
Return hose is about $100 U.S. or less. Why so much at your location.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked the flare is there, in good condition. Most probably the rubber is so soft & deformed as you can see in the pic that the clip has become to big............

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,597 Posts
Just checked the flare is there, in good condition. Most probably the rubber is so soft & deformed as you can see in the pic that the clip has become to big............
Art, the current hose looks like it was finished long time ago. Take your time to find a high grade hose that can be used in automobiles. Prices are sky high in Africa but at least you are lucky to be able find shops that can do repairs of used parts. In the US, I would have to search online, make several calls, and ship it to somewhere else, wait for the return, etc etc. There is also liability issues when doing any type of business. You get the point.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hopefully tomorrow I will find time & run away from teeth & have the hose fixed. Will post close-ups.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,311 Posts
I am very pro original parts. Its the dealer prices I am against. Its RHD hose so I cant get it from amazon ...
Forget Amazon, buy from a US MB dealer like I do. They discount and export directly, so it's all win. --> http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1782978-newbies-guide-freight-forwarding-non-us-2.html#post10235953

They can order in RHD parts. US$206 plus shipping.

http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=7479172&ukey_assembly=1093077
http://www.mymercedesparts.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=1634605524&make=Mercedes-Benz&action=oePartSearch&siteid=215326

I try to seat down and buckle up, however the price tag was so high, I fell off my chair.
Return hose is about $100 U.S. or less. Why so much at your location.
Our steering rack is on the other side of the engine bay, so the return hose has to be twice as long to reach it. Then all RHD are export markets, so you can double the US price and add tax.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok guys job done. I checked all the specs of each & every hose they had & chose one. I am sure the owner thought what's wrong with this guy.......Let the pics speak for themselves.
Pic 1 completed job.
Pic2 the hose I chose. Temp range -40 upto +150. You can see the pressure ratings on the picture.
Pic 3 cross-section of the pipe. Note the metal in between rubber layers.
Pic 4 the new clamps used to attach rubber to metal.
Pic 5 the press used to squeeze the clamps.
I changed the rubber hose on both sides.
Total cost exactly $48-50

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help.
I will fit it tomorrow after work............Uncomfortable to drive a sedan after years of SUV's..... Its so low, like sitting on the asphalt..........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts