Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power steering system is working fine. Did have one single instance of no power assist at all while backing down my long and fairly steep driveway, but it cleared quickly and has never recurred.

There's a low frequency growl from the PS at full lock, either side. Is this normal? There is no noise from the PS in any other situation, just at full lock and that's typically when parking. Normal, or needing some attention?

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I would suggest:

1) you check your power sterring fluid level, and if needed top off with MB power steering fluid only.

2) Since you are thinking steering, good time to taker your VIN and call your local dealer to confirm no outstanding recall campaigns, since there have been several for your ML on power steering hoses. Recalls are free, and can cover other power steering related stuff.

Keep the beat !

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Check your power steering fluid like fabbrisd1 said to be on the safe side but I think that the 'groan' you hear at FULL LOCK is normal on most cars and is not cause for concern.

Don't hold the steering in full lock for extended periods though - It can't be good for the hoses and system as a whole.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Check your power steering fluid like fabbrisd1 said to be on the safe side but I think that the 'groan' you hear at FULL LOCK is normal on most cars and is not cause for concern.
That's exactly what I thought. The system has to release pressure at full lock, so you'll get a groan or a whine from most cars. I wasn't 100% sure if the PS noises that were being discussed in numerous threads were at full lock or during normal driving range. Sounds like noises in normal driving range = badness. I have none of those. Fluid level is fine, and the fluid looks healthy. Might do a bleed exercise just as practice for when I really need it. Not if, but when...

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Far888 is right. All power steering systems make some sort of noise when turned all the way. If you hear noise all the time then it's time to do some repairs...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts