Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents-
1999 C280, replacing the PS pump. Want to use the right fluid because I know the MB pump is finicky.

On line search of my normal parts suppliers (Partsgeek, etc.) lists the Febi Bilstein No. 08972 (yellow) as the correct fluid.

Elsewhere I see "use only" Pentosin CHF 11S.

I called the stealership and their MB branded fluid is marked Pentosin CHF 11S, so it seems obvious that is what I'll use, although I'll get it from my local indy parts guy since stealership wants $30 of 1L!!!:eek:

But my real question is: how can the on-line guys be selling us the Febi Bilstein No. 08972 as equivalent. The viscosity specs are hugely different:

Febi Bilstein No. 08972
Viscosity at 40C = 35.7mm2/s
Viscosity at 100C = 7.5mm2/s
Density at 15C = 0.882g/ml

Pentosin CHF 11S
Viscosity at 40C = 18.7mm2/s
Viscosity at 100C = 6.0mm2/s
Density at 15C = 0.825g/ml

What say you experts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi,

well, im not an expert, but i am looking into the same stuff right this moment, and FB 08972 is ATF for my 722.4 a/t... so i dont really know if it would be ok for yours, it seem to be a newer, smaller a/t...
better safe then sorry, i would suggest you find a roughly same viscosity values on those temps., i think FEBI has those also?

if somebody knows better info, please share, i need it too :D

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
MB recommends ATF in the old style recirculating ball steering systems, including the W202, W210, W208 and anything older. But in the newer rack and pinion setups, they recommend chf11s.

I'm running chf11s in my W202. I did a two liter flush through the lines, to get as much of the old fluid out as possible, followed by a pump change. You can't mix the fluids, and MB never recommends a top-off with chf11s in a w202. But after a complete flush my steering is great, quiet and smooth.

I am now doing a "turkey baster" refresh with every oil change.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I stumbled on a YouTube video from Mercedessource and they recommend for the older W126 to switch from ATF Dextron III to the Febi 08972. So wanting to flush and replace my PS fluid I am searching for the product and I am finding 2 different looking bottles of the Febi Bilstein 08972. One is the white bottle the with the red lower stripe on it marked 08972 and the other appears to be a blueish grey bottle with the 08972. Anyone know the difference in the bottles/ (is one older package than the other or....) Additionally, I am finding that some sellers are selling the white bottle and others the grey one, thoughts, experiences........??

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gents-
1999 C280, replacing the PS pump. Want to use the right fluid because I know the MB pump is finicky.

On line search of my normal parts suppliers (Partsgeek, etc.) lists the Febi Bilstein No. 08972 (yellow) as the correct fluid.

Elsewhere I see "use only" Pentosin CHF 11S.

I called the stealership and their MB branded fluid is marked Pentosin CHF 11S, so it seems obvious that is what I'll use, although I'll get it from my local indy parts guy since stealership wants $30 of 1L!!!:eek:

But my real question is: how can the on-line guys be selling us the Febi Bilstein No. 08972 as equivalent. The viscosity specs are hugely different:

Febi Bilstein No. 08972
Viscosity at 40C = 35.7mm2/s
Viscosity at 100C = 7.5mm2/s
Density at 15C = 0.882g/ml

Pentosin CHF 11S
Viscosity at 40C = 18.7mm2/s
Viscosity at 100C = 6.0mm2/s
Density at 15C = 0.825g/ml

What say you experts?
I know this is an old thread however, the difference is that the Pentosin CHF 11S is a synthetic fluid while the Febi Bilstein 08972 is not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts