Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320W 4Matic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just got a 1998 E320 wagon for 1800. In what I would think pretty decent condition wound be. The sunroof isn’t operating(it was tilted does a bit and stuck so I taped it with flex tape to stop leaks) the passenger side inner brake light is not working(still tryfigure it out. ) sometimes the 5th door doesn’t wanna open. the bumper strip needs to be replaced and the clear coat on the top is pealing other than that no real issues.

I’ve had it for about a month. So far I’ve gotten the oil changed, transmission flushed, new tires and a general look over. I’ve put 1100 miles on it since then and it’s driving great.

just looking for any insight or tips in general also please share pics of your wagon if you have one.

also any help on editing my profile. I’m using my phone no maybe that’s why I can’t find the edit button?

cheers

·
Registered
1998 E320 wagon
1,142 Posts
Welcome!

How many miles?

On my phone I click on my avatar beside the 3 dots on the topmost toolbar then choose account settings.

Check the wires for the third brake light. The insulation is terrible in some circuits like within the headlights and sedan third brake lights. This is the first I read of wagon third brake light problems. Are you sure it isn’t just the bulb?

Keep going with fluid service. Brake fluid, diff lube, SLS fluid... SLS fluid is specific to this car. I don’t think any other US MB uses this fluid. Some Saabs might but when’s the last time you saw a Saab?

Did you change the connector/pilot bushing when you serviced the transmission? Don’t wait for problems!

Check the cabin air filters and activated charcoal filters.

Leather treatment (I like Leatherique) while the summer heat can help.

Check alignment of the lower radiator support. It should be a uniform distance from the forward crossmember and the radiator should be flat and vertical. The lower radiator support takes the brunt when you hit a parking barrier. Displacement stresses the radiator then the plastic end tanks crack. I pulled mine back into place by sight so I can’t offer my car as a reference.

Take time to familiarize yourself with the stickies on this sub-forum.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,026 Posts
It is $1800 Mercedes Benz.
For sunroof, check wagon tool kit for small crank, what will allow manual operation. Once you get it flat with the roof, you can pull the fuse and forget about it.
Have fun

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,177 Posts
There is no inner brake lights. That spot is reserved for a rear fog light on right hand side drive vehicles.

The one on the left will come on when you have your headlights on and the light switch pulled out to the second detent.

Reactions: Turbocrunch

·
Registered
1998 E320W 4Matic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome!

How many miles?

On my phone I click on my avatar beside the 3 dots on the topmost toolbar then choose account settings.

Check the wires for the third brake light. The insulation is terrible in some circuits like within the headlights and sedan third brake lights. This is the first I read of wagon third brake light problems. Are you sure it isn’t just the bulb?

Keep going with fluid service. Brake fluid, diff lube, SLS fluid... SLS fluid is specific to this car. I don’t think any other US MB uses this fluid. Some Saabs might but when’s the last time you saw a Saab?

Did you change the connector/pilot bushing when you serviced the transmission? Don’t wait for problems!

Check the cabin air filters and activated charcoal filters.

Leather treatment (I like Leatherique) while the summer heat can help.

Check alignment of the lower radiator support. It should be a uniform distance from the forward crossmember and the radiator should be flat and vertical. The lower radiator support takes the brunt when you hit a parking barrier. Displacement stresses the radiator then the plastic end tanks crack. I pulled mine back into place by sight so I can’t offer my car as a reference.

Take time to familiarize yourself with the stickies on this sub-forum.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

Thanks definitely gonna check all of those things. 104k on the dash and I dont think he changed the bushing

·
Registered
1998 E320W 4Matic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is $1800 Mercedes Benz.
For sunroof, check wagon tool kit for small crank, what will allow manual operation. Once you get it flat with the roof, you can pull the fuse and forget about it.
Have fun
I toyed around with the motor and found out the plastic gear in the inside was stripped out.I’ll post a post and order a replacement.

·
Registered
1998 E320W 4Matic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no inner brake lights. That spot is reserved for a rear fog light on right hand side drive vehicles.

The one on the left will come on when you have your headlights on and the light switch pulled out to the second detent.
Ahh ok that was driving me crazy!
thanks I kept thinking I was going to get pulled over 😂

·
Registered
1998 E320 wagon
1,142 Posts
I thought you meant third/middle brake light.

With any RWD 210, check the front upper spring perches particularly if the car has seen road salt. It’s common for rust to form below the sealer and paint then the perch breaks off. It’s a cheap fix you can do yourself, as much as it scares me to think the weight of the car rests on a half dozen rivets.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
1998 E320W 4Matic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought you meant third/middle brake light.

With any RWD 210, check the front upper spring perches particularly if the car has seen road salt. It’s common for rust to form below the sealer and paint then the perch breaks off. It’s a cheap fix you can do yourself, as much as it scares me to think the weight of the car rests on a half dozen rivets.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
Oh yeah. Also when I got it checked out they told me it was 4matic with all the bells and whistles that 98 had to offer. I don’t know if that makes a difference with checking the spring perch or not.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2000 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
3,177 Posts
Oh yeah. Also when I got it checked out they told me it was 4matic with all the bells and whistles that 98 had to offer. I don’t know if that makes a difference with checking the spring perch or not.
If your front shock is inside the coil spring, you have a 4-matic. The RWD models have a different mount for the coil spring which is prone to failure if there is corrosion.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Here is a picture of my wagon which I bought last year after I detailed it and added AMG rims and window tint. Unfortunately, its been used and abused like a truck by a person whom I will not name 😭
585692881.jpg

·
Registered
3,177 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320W 4Matic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will look into it immediately thanks for the heads up. Luckily I’m still a couple days from being able to roll em down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts