Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 250k+ miles, the transmission on my trusty Toyota commuter car is now dust. I'm looking at an upgrade and found numerous MB options including a craigslist ad for a 2002 SLK 32 AMG hard top with 80k miles. Since this will be my first MB, I wanted to know the tradeoffs in performance, comfort, and most important, reliability. SLK gurus, if the money is all the same, would it be just as well to get something like a C320 or a coupe? I'd like something decent on gas mileage since I commute approximately 80miles round-trip per day as well as a fun car for the weekend. Thanks for the time.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230 249,xxx Miles
7,707 Posts
pros about the 32 AMG
349HP, hard top convertible with easy mods to get nearly 400 hp.
if the car has been serviced regularly, its worth it!
Cons
if its been neglected you may end up paying $$$$ more.
there are links here to problems and fixes that will save you big $$$, check out the tech tips section.
is this the car? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2084605100.html
if it is there are loads of questions to ask.
others will chime in with more info

ps the c320 has 215 hp

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is the one! I figure putting aside the damage which caused the salvage title, the focus can be on the car performance and maintenance. I saw the other articles with regards to the pulley and although it seems routine, I want to go into this with the right expectations.

How's the real-life MPG and ease of upgrade for things like the radio or navigation?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG 1965 Mustang V-8 Convertible
146 Posts
I love my SLK32 and I think the pricing now on used SLK32s makes them a huge performance bargain. And having a hardtop convertible is a huge plus to me.

The price on the salvage title SLK32 you are looking at is very low. I would have it checked out by an MB mechanic before purchasing. You want to make sure it doesn't have alignment issue from damage to the unibody and definitely don't want to have alignment issues that prevent the top from going up and down smoothly.

I had to replace my intercooler pump, but other than that it has been 100% mechanically reliable. I also have the standard R170 issues of peeling interior paint and little bit of the autodimming rear view mirror issue (I have a small spot top and center with no autodimming electrolyte). There are great DIY posts on correcting both, but I haven't done more than a little touch up on the interior paint. I added a single din Clarion headunit with a slide out 7inch LCD screen to get nav, ipod connectivity and blue tooth. Very happy with the function and sound of the Clarion.

Most fun car I have owned, including a 2000 vette, and a 93 RX-7 turbo, plus numerous other sport coupes. The SLK32 AMG seats are very comfortable to me even after 4 hours or more in the car. Leg room and head room are great (I am 6ft even). The trunk has plenty of luggage space for 2 people on a week long trip.

My MPG is about 25 mpg on the freeway at 70-75, about 14-15 mpg around town, but I live near the beach with many stop signs and stop lights and no speed limits over 35 for miles each direction. I get about 11 mpg when running hard in 2nd and 3rd gear on the mountain and canyon roads of socal.

I can't tell you whether to get something else that seats 4 and give up the fun of a hard charging roadster. You know what you need from a car better than anyone else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts