Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I am planning to buy a G55 or G500 on ebay, if there was ever a right time to do it, this it (a potential buy):
Mercedes-Benz : G-Class - eBay (item 280621851759 end time Feb-03-11 10:33:51 PST)

... change it to LPG (runs same mileage with about 15% less fuel)

... and since that isn't enough saving for me, i have a question about the V8 engine: can i easily turn the V8 into a V6? Is it possible to exclude a few cylinders?

Thanks for any help! I would appreciate your opinion...

All the best,
SofiaM

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean? The ebay auction or my questions?:D

Nevermind, i already know it is possible, and can even do it back here in my country...

All i was asking was if it would be possible to shut down a couple of cylinders, and i thought you guys could enlighten me a bit!

Probably Inefficient low throttle maneuvering and so on and so forth, but possible!

Thanks for asking, any feedback would be appreciated!

All the best
S

·
Registered
06 H2,04 Rang rover HSE,05 Rang Rover HSE,03 G500,03 G55,07 G55,09 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
40 Posts
All i was asking was if it would be possible to shut down a couple of cylinders... I dont think so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is an article i found about it:
Firing on Half-Cylinders: Scientific American

Firing on Half-Cylinders
Turning V-8s into V-4s may yield the fastest fuel savings

Despite rising fuel prices and fears of an oil crunch, Americans' lust for big vehicles with gas-gulping V-8 engines is unlikely to abate anytime soon. Ironically, the typical driver rarely uses much of the horsepower under the hood. Sedans today can produce upward of 300 hp, yet as little as 30 hp is enough to maintain a highway cruise. So unless a full-size car or truck is passing at speed, climbing a hill or towing a trailer, its eight-cylinder engine runs only half-heartedly--and inefficiently: operating at less than full load lowers fuel economy.

Power-train engineers at DaimlerChrysler and General Motors have perfected an affordable way to smoothly morph V-8 gas guzzlers into V-4 fuel misers and back again as required. Laying off the accelerator pedal shuts down unneeded engine cylinders, which allows the remaining ones to operate at higher thermal and mechanical efficiencies. The result is 6 to 20 percent better fuel economy, depending on how the vehicles are driven.
Sorry if i mixed up LPG conversion and shutting down cylinders. It is just that they both have a relation to consumption in the end. I am interested in saving as much as possible by converting fuel/LPG (already a power loss) and then shutting down as many cylinders as possible (even less power), safeguarding the vehicle's usability. Why run a 5.500 cc engine when you can do it just as well with only 2.900 cc ? :surrender:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts