Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to take a minute to tell you all about my findings this weekend.
I suspected i was having some mild compression issues and had read where several people had used marvel mystery oil to help.
I bought a jug of it and poured some in the fuel and about 20 ounces or so in the oil last week. I drove to work and back all week long, about 300 or so miles since i put it in the oil.
This weekend i was doing a piston soak with the marvel and thought i would go ahead and recheck my valve clearances. when i pulled off the valve cover, I was STUNNED!!!
the normal black "slime" that is normally on the springs, cam towers, etc... ALL GONE!! I still cant believe it. it was so clean that i could actually see that the valve seals were green in color. it was at least 80% like new.
I normally do not believe in alot of funky additives to solve problems, but this was proof postive for me that marvel is at a minimum, an excellent internal cleaner. Just wanted to share that with you all.

buck...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, it starts easier, doesnt take as much throttle to take off or go down the road, it even sounds different, it sounds more like my other benz now.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Excellent. I will keep that in mind. I use the additive in my Cummins when I'm only running D2. I'm able to buy it cheap here at a place called Big Lots! Like $2 a small bottle. A little insurance for the IP can't hurt!

Dave:)

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
On the various Mercedes Forums marvel mystery is not recommended for use to run in the Crankcase Oil.

However, I have I did use it directly in the Cylinders in my Volvo Diesel and let is soak for about a week and 3 days as I believe I had sticky Piston Rings.
For that it worked.
However, I drove the Car around the block and changed the Oil. I did not drive with the MM Oil mixed with the Crankcase Oil.

Did your compression reading go up?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cylinder pressures went up only about 15 psi, but more importantly, they became more equal. the engine even sounds different now, its louder, more like a diesel should sound.
power increase is as apparent as the cleanliness of the engine, throttle more responsive, less pedal needed than before.
On the marvel bottle it stated to run it at 20% mix at every oil change. i dont have quite that much in there now, but i am going to start running it in every engine i have.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I've also had nice results from Lucas oil products as well. I had a power steering seal leak on an 89 GMC van & it stopped it. Got rear axel seals to stop leaking on a 92 Jeep Cherokee. On my 98 3500 Dodge w a Cummins I got the Trans to stop slipping.

I did use the correct product for each application, put is all worked as intended. Also on my Wife's 98 Honda Passport I used the fuel additive to get her sending unit for the gas tank to work correctly. I was just using it, & it fixed the problem.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting! I wonder how much the turbo cleaned up.

I have used lucas products in my 7.3 ford for years and have always been happy with there products. Even started to use it in my 06 Jetta. Sea foam works well for me as well.

But marvel in the crankcase would be pumped into the turbo. Anyone ever look into there turbo after using Marvel? Might be a way to get the gunk out.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never taken the turbo apart, i didnt know that was a problem area for carbon/dooky. I did take the oil cap off the VC yesterday and noticed that even the sides of the VC are now almost like clean aluminum. just amazing to me...
It does prompt me though to change out the oil filter very soon. all that stuff that got cut loose had to go somewhere.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have never taken the turbo apart, i didnt know that was a problem area for carbon/dooky. I did take the oil cap off the VC yesterday and noticed that even the sides of the VC are now almost like clean aluminum. just amazing to me...
It does prompt me though to change out the oil filter very soon. all that stuff that got cut loose had to go somewhere.
Is it from coaking that makes 'em get gunked up or is it from running rich/overfueled? (Turbo)

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Being diesel I would think coaking. I am sure there is a real mechanic out there that knows the actual cause. I do know not properly cooling down your motor after driving can cause the turbo to look like the one I just acquired. Which I would call coaking.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Being diesel I would think coaking. I am sure there is a real mechanic out there that knows the actual cause. I do know not properly cooling down your motor after driving can cause the turbo to look like the one I just acquired. Which I would call coaking.
That is not like the old commercial for have a coak & a smile!:crybaby2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts