Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am in a bit of predicament right so I own a S500 2000 Model, I was stationed overseas and will be back home in a few weeks. I have been gone for almost 4 years, the person I designated to take care of my car lost the key so it has not been started in almost 2 years. It was converter to Coils about 5 years ago now and it was maintained pretty well for the most part. So with me going back home what all will I need to do as far as getting her back up and running? I know I will have to get a new key some how, and probably change all the fluids and flush the lines but is there anything else I need to do?

Also once she is up and running I wanted to give her a facelift and update, do you guys know where I could find if its even possible new carpets, new leather seats. I also wanted to re-convert her back to the AIRMATIC system do you guys know where i could get decent priced parts? I used to use "AUTOHAUS AZ" Car parts and they sell genuine MB Parts but I don't know if there are better places to get parts.

Thanks in advance.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,583 Posts
Is the car in the USA ? You’ll need to have a Mercedes dealer order you a key and you’ll probably need to take your title /registration with you to order it . Some dealers even make you tow the car in .

it may be cost prohibitive to convert back to airmatic depending how the system was cut out . If connections were just cut it maycost more than the value of the car

when you return put in a brand new battery and 5 gallons of fresh fuel and hopefully with the new key it will start up . Don’t just try a jump starter and old gas .

if it runs you’ll need all new fluids, most likely will need new tires , and should change the belt and tensioner . Fcpeuro is better than autohausAZ as they give a lifetime warranty on all parts and free shipping over $49 orders

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the car in the USA ? You’ll need to have a Mercedes dealer order you a key and you’ll probably need to take your title /registration with you to order it . Some dealers even make you tow the car in .

it may be cost prohibitive to convert back to airmatic depending how the system was cut out . If connections were just cut it maycost more than the value of the car

when you return put in a brand new battery and 5 gallons of fresh fuel and hopefully with the new key it will start up . Don’t just try a jump starter and old gas .

if it runs you’ll need all new fluids, most likely will need new tires , and should change the belt and tensioner . Fcpeuro is better than autohausAZ as they give a lifetime warranty on all parts and free shipping over $49 orders

Yes, the car is in the USA. I usually do most the work myself but the AIRMATIC issue was handled by a what was a local MBCertfied Indie work shop so I'm hoping it wasn't just cut out.

Thanks for your other info, ill have to keep in mind the belt and tensioner as well.

·
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
5,839 Posts
It appears from the pictures that the car may be somewhere in the Southwest US, possibly the greater Los Angeles area, due to the palm trees, the US-spec "STOP" sign, and the generally nice weather. This could also apply to Florida, though.

Well, for "facelift", I would suggest the actual facelift look. Externally, that means a new pair of Depo projector headlights with the HID option. I would also suggest getting the post-facelift tail lights.

For new seats, you're looking at going to a salvage yard and getting seats out of a post-facelift car. That's actually a good thing to do because the new design is, in my view, better because the plastic trim around the bottom of the seat is protected better.

If you just want new leather, then I'd go to Lseat.com and have a look at their options. I did it to my wife's 2000 S500, and she likes the results.

Your wheels, I wouldn't change those. They look sweet.

As has been previously noted, all fluids will need changing.

As for the AIRmatic question, it depends. Do you like how the car rides now? If so, then leave it as is.

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears from the pictures that the car may be somewhere in the Southwest US, possibly the greater Los Angeles area, due to the palm trees, the US-spec "STOP" sign, and the generally nice weather. This could also apply to Florida, though.

Well, for "facelift", I would suggest the actual facelift look. Externally, that means a new pair of Depo projector headlights with the HID option. I would also suggest getting the post-facelift tail lights.

For new seats, you're looking at going to a salvage yard and getting seats out of a post-facelift car. That's actually a good thing to do because the new design is, in my view, better because the plastic trim around the bottom of the seat is protected better.

If you just want new leather, then I'd go to Lseat.com and have a look at their options. I did it to my wife's 2000 S500, and she likes the results.

Your wheels, I wouldn't change those. They look sweet.

As has been previously noted, all fluids will need changing.

As for the AIRmatic question, it depends. Do you like how the car rides now? If so, then leave it as is.
Yeah, no I absolutely hate myself for converting it to coils but that was almost 10 years ago when I was not able to come up with the money for the airmatic repairs since 3 out of the 4 struts needed to be replaced. I'll check out the leather site you refered to, how about carpet replacement?

But yes you are correct, at that time the car was in Florida, and yes I got lucky a friend had a CL55 AMG and got aftermarket rims so I bought that set of 4 off him for $500.👍

·
5,839 Posts
There are a few things you'll need to look at to convert back to AIRmatic.

1.) Are all the other AIRmatic bits (hoses, pump, valve block, storage tank, air fittings to the struts, etc.) still present?

2.) With a lot of kits, there's a little computer-chip box that, when installed, fools the car into thinking that AIRmatic is still present. This gets rid of the ugly red dashboard message. Is that there?

3.) Do you really want to do it, i. e. do you not like the ride as it is now? Or is it just a matter of wanting to put the car back to stock just 'cause you can (not a bad reason, I might add)?

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't have the red AIRMATIC message on the dash, and I would have to check when I get back as far as the storage tank, pump, etc.

My over all goal here is to convert her back to stock as much as possible and then make a few upgrades such as the facelift that I think should have came with the car stock, then go into replacing like the carpet, headliners I am planning on completely stripping her when I get back home. I purchased a salvaged S600 and I'm going to take most of the interior from there but I am planning on replacing the door panels, dash, center console all to that nicer leather wrapped appearance.

So yeah AIRMATIC is one of my biggest concerns because I personally don't think that the coils come close as far as ride comfort to the AIRMATIC and I want to achieve the smoothest ride possible.

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,583 Posts
You would’ve be much better off just getting it running and selling it . You can probably get $1500-2500 once it’s running

Then start with buying a different car that doesn’t need an interior swap and suspension swap . These cars are so cheap it makes more sense to just buy a nicer example as junky ones sell for $1500 but nice ones sell for $3-4000

·
5,839 Posts
Looks like he wants to do what Tavarish did with his pre-facelift S500 about seven years ago, detailed here.

It can be done. I've come pretty close to doing that just working on the wife's 2000 S500. It's a lot of work, but you sure learn a lot about the car in the process. I sure did. :)

Reactions: Dave2302

·
Registered
2000 S500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, pretty much this car means alot to me.. It was a inheritance from someone who inherited it so it's been in my life for the last 15 years and would like to keep this piece living if that makes any sense.

I personally would love to get a S55 or S550 and just build off of that but this is what I have and what I am going to make work, so I'm just trying to pretty much make it better than when it was new although it isn't too old but I want to rebuild it and give it a few more things that I think should have came with it from the factory.

My only real issue remaining is Carpet, like the actual carpet on the floor of the car, does anyone know where I could have that ordered through?

I'm planning on removing the headliner, A/B/C pillars and either custom leather wrapping them or doing black alcantara, so everything on the inside is a nice black along with that leather wrapped S600 dash and door panels.

·
W220 Moderator
8,294 Posts
You really need to get a decent used Carpet from a wrecker car, it isn't just a Carpet per se, it has seriously thick moulded on Foam "pre-shaped Backing" that fits the contours of Floor and Bulkhead under it ..............

So definitely not easily replaceable with regular automotive Carpet except with a decent original W220 item ;)

HTH :)

Reactions: MikeKerr

·
5,839 Posts
You're in a similar situation that I'm in with our 2000 S430. I inherited that car from my Dad, so I'll keep it for as long as I can. That's Dad's car.

If I were you, since you bought an S600 to use as a donor car, I'd just use the carpet from that car. Once you get it out, give it a good scrub-a-dub with some soapy water. I used regular dishwasher detergent and a scrub brush with somewhat stiff bristles. Scrub it well, then rinse it with your garden hose. Then, hang it on a 6-ft (2 metre) step ladder and let it dry for several days. It helps speed things up if you squeeze the foam sound insulation underneath, kinda like milking a cow, at least once a day. You want that carpet to be fully dry before reinstallation.

Note that if you do this, these carpets clean up quite nicely. They're also sturdily built.

Reactions: Dave2302
1 - 13 of 13 Posts