Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1192 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,279 Posts
The pics were lost with the forum upgrades as were a lot of other pics in various threads posted over the years. Particularly when not directly uploaded to the forum but instead hosted off site and linked in.

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
To add to the discussion of DOT Federalization of the added reinforcement in bumpers, DOT also added the reinforcements into the doors of Euro grey market cars. US-spec cars have the reinforcement added in factory while Euro ones do not have the horizontal crash bar placed inside.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,674 Posts
Well, perhaps when 48hp aka Henrik has a bit more time? It would be nice to see the thread restored.
We ran into each other after my initial post and I asked about the missing pictures.
He agreed to help to complete the threads again.
He had a few week down time window, but I didn't, and from what I understand has since been extremely busy overseas and here with the show he is working on.
I'll check with him whether we can re instate and copy the pics from his classics site.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,164
Long time BW! I hope everyone is healthy and safe.

Thought to travel down memory lane recently and checked in on this thread. Realized, some photos were still missing.

I had gone through this entire thread a few years back to identify which photos were missing, log them and then try to locate those missing photos in my archives. It was quiet time consuming as you can imagine.

Fortunately, I successfully located all but one! I passed my log and a link to all the missing photos hosted online to our BW moderators years ago but it appears the photos never made it back into this thread.

So, in an effort to restore the thread and to put my past efforts to good use, I've upload those missing photos to my BenzWorld photo gallery. (link below) Unfortunately, I am unable to insert the photos in their appropriate posts as the editing function is disabled. But, what I have done is name each photo by the post number to which it belongs. This should make it possible for a moderators to move them into their appropriate posts.

Enjoy!

48hp

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,925 Posts
What a beautiful car . Everything was just done to perfection on this . Rarely do you see a recreation with such perfect upgrades, stance , interior etc

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,166
There, done. It would also be appropriate to post a quick update and conclusion to this build.

The 5 liter 32V engine rebuild was completed by Sergio Bartolini at Motorworks in National City, CA. Only through his experience, craft and dedication to the engine build was it possible to put an incomplete box of rare and limited engine bits back together.

Hartmut Feyhl of Renntech provided all the missing valve train, technical assistance and assembly manuals needed to push the engine build across the finishing line.

The completed motor did sit for quiet some time as Mr. Bartolini, in his passion for his craft, would not let the engine go until he’d run it on the bench. This was the level of his dedication to assuring he delivered a running, properly functioning work or art.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,167
The smile on Mr. Bartolini’s face says it all.

Then, came time to shoe horn the throbbing 4 valve per cylinder beast into the coupe’s engine cavity. That, took it’s own toll on the patience department.

Bish, bam, boom. Firewall hammered, a half dozen adjustments and the lump was in the hole.

She now purrs a kitten and with a lap of some pedal milk, she roars.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,168
Once again, I would like to take a moment to thank all those involved and to all those that supported this project from day one. This wonderfully challenging build only came together through serious dedication and a community of passionate individuals.

Thank you all for your support.

All the best. Stay healthy and safe.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
Oh brilliant, thanks for the effort, i bet it took ages.

We can see about getting them inserted.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,170
Oh, one final cherry on top...

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,171

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,194 Posts
This was a fantastic journey to follow in real time.

You were way ahead of the curve in realizing how special the pre-merger AMG cars were and that they should be valued accordingly.

Also grateful for the work you did in making it possible for others benefit. I've got the SEC interior wood from Madera thanks to you funding the first set from them. I also have the AMG floor mats from In Stitches that you spearheaded.

Of course, who can forget the AMG widebody episode on Wheeler Dealer that you produced. It really put the AMG cars on the map for car enthusiasts.

Thanks and all the best.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,173
What a beautiful car . Everything was just done to perfection on this . Rarely do you see a recreation with such perfect upgrades, stance , interior etc
Thank you. Much appreciated.

All the best.

Stay safe. Stay healthy.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,336 Posts
Always nice to see a true OG of BW come back....hows it going Henric

now can you work on getting Edd china a new tv show....missing him from the telly

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,468 Posts
Love, love, love this. Met you, your wife and your car at the Monterey Historics one year. I'll never forget the impression your car made. When I looked inside and up and saw the Alcantara headliner, I was almost speechless. What a great experience.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,925 Posts
Love, love, love this. Met you, your wife and your car at the Monterey Historics one year. I'll never forget the impression your car made. When I looked inside and up and saw the Alcantara headliner, I was almost speechless. What a great experience.
Except it’s not an alcantara headliner, Regular mercedes have those these days. Too common for this car .

on 48hp car it’s French stitched Smooth leather , Like a Bentley .

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,468 Posts
Except it’s not an alcantara headliner, Regular mercedes have those these days. Too common for this car .

on 48hp car it’s French stitched Smooth leather , Like a Bentley .
Well, I'll let Henric correct me but I could swear that's what he told me that year in Monterey. I could have been too stunned to be paying attention to what anyone was saying...

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
596 Posts
Welcome back 48hp, and thank you for the restoration of your epic restoration thread!

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,179
This was a fantastic journey to follow in real time.

You were way ahead of the curve in realizing how special the pre-merger AMG cars were and that they should be valued accordingly.

Also grateful for the work you did in making it possible for others benefit. I've got the SEC interior wood from Madera thanks to you funding the first set from them. I also have the AMG floor mats from In Stitches that you spearheaded.

Of course, who can forget the AMG widebody episode on Wheeler Dealer that you produced. It really put the AMG cars on the map for car enthusiasts.

Thanks and all the best.
Much appreciated.

The pricing of the 126 wide body has absurdly soared in recent years, insane really! Long gone are the $30k Kyle Widebodies.

The reproduction process for many of the parts was trying at times but ultimately the project progressed and hopefully others continue to benefit. Glad to hear Madera and In Stitches are still offering product.

Understanding the inner workings of the AMG modified engine was one of the more gratifying discoveries of this journey.

All the best.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,180
Always nice to see a true OG of BW come back....hows it going Henric

now can you work on getting Edd china a new tv show....missing him from the telly
Healthy and safe, thanks!

1161 - 1180 of 1192 Posts