Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1192 Posts

·
Registered
66 250se coupe w111, 65 600 swb limo, 89 560sl 90k original miles fully documented, 96 e320 280k mil
209 Posts
KRH, hope im correct but when will you be showing some of your progress..

JR

What a great result for all you guys that participated and pleasing to see the W126's getting some recognition now. Well done

·
Registered
66 250se coupe w111, 65 600 swb limo, 89 560sl 90k original miles fully documented, 96 e320 280k mil
209 Posts
Alydon,

perhaps you dont know where the car was pieced together and painted.. :rolleyes:

Well deserved hardware, Henric. No shame in finishing 2nd to this magnificent coupe. The interior leather and aroma is sumptuous as is the black coat of 040. Beautiful fat fender coupe.

Al

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,279 Posts
KRH, hope im correct but when will you be showing some of your progress..

JR
Your WB Kit finally arrived by sea container last month.
Will post updates in my 560 thread (building a garage/workshop at home at present myself as really need more room first to spread out, so i can work properly on my coupes as i do most of the work myself)

·
Registered
209 Posts
KRH,

hope the kit arrived safe.. and glad you finally got one in your bare hands.. :D you deserve it.

keep me updated.. would like to see how the project comes along

jr

Your WB Kit finally arrived by sea container last month.
Will post updates in my 560 thread (building a garage/workshop at home at present myself as really need more room first to spread out, so i can work properly on my coupes as i do most of the work myself)

·
Registered
1990 MB 560SEC
11 Posts
I just spent the last three hours reading this whole thread.....all I can say is....what an utter work of art you've put together and I'm insanely jealous of you right now lol

Question; the wide body kit, the AMG speedo are those reproductions still around for sale or would I have to go eBay hunting again (my German is shit lol)

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
Moved to the amg for lol

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
This Christmas Eve I count myself very lucky to have found the Second AMG Widebody to come out of AZ. Mine is still in state. But was a an extraordinary find on Route 66 in Kingman. Mine, of course us in the "How about a Wide Body" thread. Both Hendrick and I were extremely lucky to grab these cars. My advice. Keep looking at every Mb you see and just maybe you'll find the Holy Trail. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,674 Posts
Hey! What's happened to a lot of the pics in this thread?
I believe a member found at least some of the missing (?) pics and restored them.
Maybe 48hp aka Henric could restore missing pics to his original thread?
Without complete pics this thread doesn't make much sense.
Cheers

·
40,674 Posts
Moved to the amg for lol
There has to be another explanation.
I have known 48hp aka Henric personally for several years, and feel he is is a bigger man than that.
No one begrudges Henrik the amg classic forum he started, or minds the little advertisement link in his sig.
To my mind, the continuing enjoyment of his great thread, complete with all the originally posted pictures, is one of the best recommendations his classic forum can get.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,029 Posts
well i only meant to say that I have seen them on his amg forum. maybe the original server holding his pics on here no longer exists? Not trying to begin a or suggest anything more than that.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I am sure that the pictures were not intentionally removed. A server or photo service change or even a new computer can cause this to happen.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Two threads, older ones, today have had missing pictures. This one and Nav-'s interior thread. Seems maybe this happened around the time of the format change of the forum. Another possibility.

·
40,674 Posts
Well, perhaps when 48hp aka Henrik has a bit more time? It would be nice to see the thread restored.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
1,781 Posts
Steel toe

both euro bumpers were federalized well, reinforced with 24mm solid steel rod spanning between each bumper mount and bolted on. so it made for a very easy de-federalization.

weight saving between the US and euro is approx 16-17 lbs per bumper.

to mount front euro bumper onto a US spec chassis it required lopping off the tacked on US spec tow hook and minor nibble off the frame rail mount.
In reading this am I understanding that the euro bumpers do "NOT" have the rolled steel inserted in them? Because that would help explain why my US and Euro rears weigh the same, the rear does have a rolled steel insert.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Euro Cars imported to the US had to be federalized and the DOT stations added steel beams inside the doors and steel inside the Euro bumpers. Original Euro bumpers do not have the steel inserts, just the fiberglass/plastic reinforcements and aluminum bumper mountings.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,279 Posts
Correct.
The Euro bumpers are much lighter as they do not contain that lump of steel.
The bumper inner structure (under the plastic outer that you see) is made of a high impact resin material (like carbon fibre) that was designed by MB to absorb impact and soften the blow as part of the front and rear crumple zones that were engineered into the W126.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
1,781 Posts
Well Aha then!

Euro Cars imported to the US had to be federalized and the DOT stations added steel beams inside the doors and steel inside the Euro bumpers. Original Euro bumpers do not have the steel inserts, just the fiberglass/plastic reinforcements and aluminum bumper mountings.
That makes sense then! The rear Euro I have come off of my 107026 which was clearly federalized in California. The inside of the (euro) bumpers does have the rolled steel.
One thing I can say is that the US Spec rear bumpers can take a blow. I backed into one of the parking lot light polls with the below-the-trunk-lid concrete stumps attached to it in my 450SLC. No damage at all but certainly awakening.
The 107026 has three converters on the exhaust and the down pipe from the tri-y is gone. In it's place are single pipes welded to the flange of the tri-y manifold. It's not only ugly but it's power robbing!

1141 - 1160 of 1192 Posts