Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1192 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,121
Fabulous! Did he have to make the parts or did they have some on the shelf?

Mike
They were "off the shelf" items but he did have to do some digging.

An interesting note worth mentioning is, I hadn't realized that Hartmut Feyhl was the author of the official AMG Installation Instruction M117 4V manual for AMG. The German language version had been floating around for years but it was the English version (also translate by Mr Feyhl) that was far less common.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,123

·
Registered
1991 AMG C126
28 Posts
After 2 weeks, finally made it through this build thread...and it is really amazing, on all fronts.(quality of work, teamwork, time, ect) :thumbsup:
My hats off to 48hp and all those who helped in this project.:bowdown:
Stunning.. just stunning!

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,126
AMG DOHC M117 4V Engine Rebuild - Motor Works National City, California

Thank you.

During the past year, since taking possession of the AMG DOHC 4V heads and engine, I have spent a considerable amount of time on research.

This particular example was pulled and disassembled over a decade ago. At the time, the heads were sent out for machining but were never completed and many of the valve train bits went missing.

Assuming that the DOHC 4V heads would check out to be sound, I continued to search far and wide for the missing bits and additional reference materials. One gentleman in Germany, Jorg, reached out and provided me with samples and reference materials for each of the missing bits, which could be used to reproduce the bits if needed. I chose to hold out, as I was still confident that the originals could be located that of which included intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, cups and retainers.

There was one potential resource that I had overlooked here, stateside, Mr. Hartmut Fehyl at Renntech. For those not familiar, he was the lead tech/engineer at AMG North America prior to AMG merging with Mercedes Benz and was responsible for all of the authorized DOHC 4V installations in the U.S. during that time. He later formed Renntech and completed a number of AMG DOHC installation there and continues to produce and engineer products for contemporary Mercedes Benz models today.

As a pleasant surprise, not only did he provide the missing pieces, but Mr. Fehyl also took the time to share his invaluable experience with the DOHC engines. The bits arrived last month and work could begin on the heads and block.

The AMG 4V was now back on track…

Everything was sent off to Motor Works near San Diego, CA, where Sergio Bartolino, who had work with these back in the day, began taking inventory, disassembling, cleaning and inspecting. The short block was stripped and proved to be reflective of the low mileage claimed by the previous owner. There was some scoring in one of the cylinders, but everything else in/on the short block passed inspection.

One of the valve seats was suspect and was replaced. Also, the valve guides installed previously were not only incorrect but not properly installed, thus they were removed and replaced.

More progress to follow...
Another quick progress note, photos from awhile back. Mr Bartolini has completed the short block build and the 4V heads nearly there. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
This is going to be a work of art. Looks like you were able to get all bits you where looking for. Is it going to be a 5.4 or 5.6?

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,128
This is going to be a work of art. Looks like you were able to get all bits you where looking for. Is it going to be a 5.4 or 5.6?

Mike
No, no...five point O. :)

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
8,509 Posts
5.0 is the magic number ;)

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I was just thinking about this project the other day.Awesome that progress is being made. I love seeing an engine that clean! This thing is going to be even more of a showstopper at the end.

·
Registered
'85 500SEL Euro (UAE spec) w/ ECE 560
396 Posts
Out of curiosity, why are you not increasing displacement?

Also regardless of size this and the solid lifter AMG motor from the widebody would be an amazing pair!

Are you going to be putting either of them into the car soon?

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132
Interesting difference in the AMG modified Gen I output progression...

SOHC 5.0=276hp
SOHC 5.4=310hp

Stating the obvious but that's a 34hp increase with merely a displacement bump.

DOHC 5.0=340hp
DOHC 5.4=350hp

Yet, only a 10hp difference with DOHC installed.

Hmmm.

Then consider the AMG modified Gen II outputs,

SOHC 5.6=285hp
SOHC 6.0=330hp

Also an increase of .4L but shows an even greater gain of 45hp.

DOHC 5.6=360hp
DOHC 6.0=375hp

Again, a much smaller gain (15hp) in DOHC form, considering the gains found with SOHC displacement increase.

Each of the above are based on euro blocks with CR ratings of 9.2/9.4, more than NA CR but less than standard Euro CR.

So, to bring a 5.0 to 6.0, one must stop off at the 560 parts bin and pick up a crank. Then custom slugs/rings must be produced and the block bored.

The 5.4 becomes obsolete once the 560 was introduced.

To bring a NA spec 5.6 to AMG 5.6 spec, euro pistons must be added to the mix.

And to bring a 5.6 to 6.0, same as with the 5.0, sans the crank.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1324677-amg-5-0-32v-just-opened-12.html#post4995086

The numbers simply don't add up. (HP/TQ/$$$)

Also, more importantly/appropriately, it's about preservation, not a #'s race.

No definitive timeline on the install.

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
I agree, the 10hp difference is negligible at that point, but I assume there's a bigger torque difference between the 2 (5.0 and 5.4)? I don't have the specs infront of me to confirm.

48hp, what numbers do the heads show? a 5.0 or 5.4? If it were me, I'd just stick with what the heads were on originally... but the AMG fan in me wants to see a 6.0 32V :) Good job on the work so far... you've got a lot on your plate with various cars, but good to see things progressing! One brick at a time...

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,134
Just to clarify, I secured the entire AMG DOHC 5.0L long block from FD to the oil pan, from heads to the DOHC specific headers.

Displacement shows more prominent TQ increases but again, its always been "as delivered" for me.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
Just to clarify, I secured the entire AMG DOHC 5.0L long block from FD to the oil pan, from heads to the DOHC specific headers.

Displacement shows more prominent TQ increases but again, its always been "as delivered" for me.
Another one of the 48HP resurrected treasures!

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,137
AMG Penta / Tru Wheel - North Hollywood, CA

The search for the elusive, period correct set of wheels is over. I want to thank each of the enthusiasts that aided in the effort during my search. Thank you.

Tru Wheel of North Hollywood performed another fine wheel restoration of theses AMG Wide Body Five Spokers...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1980 450SL; 1984 500SEC Euro; 1991 560 SEC
345 Posts
Awesome!!! So happy for you. Persistence and patience paid off. Absolutely the best wheels for the wide body IMHO. Some day maybe.
Following with great appreciation and respect.

1121 - 1140 of 1192 Posts