Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I bought an 88 300E a couple of months ago, as a second/commuter car - I drive 60 miles one way to work 4 times a week. I've always had a thing for the 124's, the styling is coming back as the new cars are starting to trend back to the more chiseled look, less the rounded look.

This far down the road, the 300E still turns heads, I've already gotten a few comments from people saying they like my car! I was looking for something comfortable as a highway cruiser, reliable and safe. I came across this car at my mechanic and instantly knew - this is the one.

White with blue MB Tex, 208K. Before selling it, he had already taken care of the brakes, water pump, plugs, thermostat, new exhaust, belt, heater motor, differential fluid, all the rear suspension bushings and flex discs. $3500 and I drove it away, I'm totally pleased. It's like driving a barcalounger down the highway hahaha!!

I've got a few things that are cropping up 4K since the purchase, I figured I'd start a thread and maybe help the community with some diagnosis and solutions.

So far, I've had a rough idle that I've been chasing. Tried a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, helped but nope. Replaced the O2 sensor, minor improvement but still no. Ordered a pair of motor mounts and those are going in next week and I' m hoping that will take care of it.

It's got a diesel kind of noise when it's running, probably a collapsed or failing lifter. I've found some 20W-50 keeps it a little quieter.

Goes through 2-3 quarts every 3K miles. It's not smoky or anything when it's running but the oil is going somewhere. Bad seals or guides probably. Okay for now, but not a priority. Yet.

The frames holding the rear nets on the seatbacks were hanging off on the top screws, I took the panels off the backs and screwed them back in.

Minor burning oil smell, replaced the valve cover gasket, problem solved.

2K after purchase, I started smelling hydraulic fluid. Started leaking shortly thereafter (2-3 days?) one of the seals had given way, fixed by my mechanic, no charge.

Jumpy speedometer, cable needs replacing but who cares.

Finicky gas gauge, when it gets around a 1/2 tank, it tends to stick there. Just within either side of half. I've even had it tell me it's just below half but the reserve light goes on, and it took like 16 something gallons to fill the car. Probably the sender but I think the tank needs to be dropped to replace it so I'll deal with it for now.

Bushings on the belt tensioner were shot, so it was rattling at idle and low RPM's so I took the bolt out and out some washers in there on either side and clamped it back down. Solved the problem temporarily, I ordered another tensioner and that will go in when I'm doing the motor mounts.

A/C needs a pound or two of R12. Strange thing is though, I've notice that running the A/C (second button, top/bottom) it seems to stall randomly coming to a stop. It doesn't do this on the economy setting. Like it doesn't shift from 3rd to 2nd when you come to a stop when the A/C is turned on? Not sure what is going on there but I'm going to try a charge on the A/C and see if that makes a difference.

When I'm on the highway, after the car has warmed up, if I let my foot of the gas, just a little, I get a chirping noise. Sort of sounds like a cricket, and it is a very small area. Let your foot off just a little more or step on the gas a little more, and it goes away. Haven't been able to determine where it is coming from, either a wheel bearing, rearend or at worst clutch bands? Not sure but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Rear doors creak when they open. I have to take the panels off and see of the door bands are loose or maybe they just need replacing.

Sunroof was closing on the wind deflector. I was having to pull it down then hit the switch again to get it to close properly. After looking at it, one of the little arms that fold the deflector down that come disconnected. Snapped it back into place, problem solved.

That's all for now, I'll update as I get things fixed. Great forum guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update time. A/C wasn't working (warm weather is here!) and the system was empty of R12. Got the fittings switched over to R134 and charged the system with some dye. I think the stalling problem is solved, haven't had any problems since we charged it. A/C blows cold now, we'll see how long it lasts.

Front pump on the tranny went, got that replaced - didn't see that coming! LOL... Replaced the entire pump instead of rebuilding. Oddly enough I'm still smelling a hydraulic fluid-y kinda smell. The motor mounts are going in next Wednesday (okay, I know.. I'm lazy!) and when I've got it up on the lift I'm going to take a closer look.

Passenger side rear window switch stopped working this afternoon. I'm going to try the switch at the door and see if that works but likely the console switch needs to be replaced. Should be an easy fix.

Still getting that warbling, cricket kind of sound when I'm on the highway and let off the throttle just a little. It's a bit after I've been driving and the car is well warmed up, like 20 mins or so. It goes away if I take my foot completely off the pedal or give it a little more gas. It is a very small window, but it's definately there. You can turn it on and off just by the slightest foot movement. Has anyone had any problems like this....

Weather was nice last night so I got out the brush touch and went to work. Those little chips drive me nuts when I'm looking at the car pumping gas...

Thats all for now, I'll let you know the outcome of the motor mount install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another update. Got the motor mounts changed out, took about 30 mins on the lift. Exhaust side was a breeze, intake side was a little more difficult, had to get creative taking the top bolt out but it really wasn't that bad. One of the mounts was making a rattling noise when you shook it, the other you could hear the fluid sloshing around inside! With the new mounts in, the engine sits about an inch higher so they were definately collapsed.

Vibration at idle problem is just about completely solved, there is still a skip once in a while that I can feel so I'm going to keep hunting that one down. For the most part though, what a difference - the car feels more solid and stable now accelerating and coming to a stop. Cool!

Replaced the wiper with a blade refill, much easier because of the plastic frame on the blade - no need to mess with the metal strips in the old blade. All in one, just slide it in and put the cap on.

Also replaced the benz emblem on the grill, the old one was pretty beat and faded and it was only an $8 part. : D

Taking off the plastic shield under the motor revealed that there was some tranny fluid leaking - red fluid drips on the bellhousing so that explains the hydraulic fluid smell - it's going back to the mechanic to get that taken care of this week, something's not right after replacing the front pump if it's leaking.

True to form however, as soon as something is fixed, something else breaks! There is a squeaking noise while turning now that developed thing morning. *sigh* probably ball joints or tie rod ends, I'll have it checked out when it goes to the mechanic for the tranny leak fix.

That's all for now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts