Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one these systems but they are quite expensive.

Anybody bought one of these kits and will it works?

Getting a replacement key fob from MB costs £200 now.:D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
flip key or smart key

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
flip key or smart key
Both if you can.

I have seen an NEC interface that program the key/fob with the ECU number of the car, is this same thing as the VIN of the car?

Not sure how you read the ECU number of a car.

To buy a blank key alone costs £166, it looks like it not worths getting an MB key programmer at £500 vs getting it done by a Merc dealer at £200.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard that Merc Dealers can't do it and that it has to be done in Germany? Lies I suppose? LOL or HOPE! ;)
Don't know where you hear that. Dealers said it takes 5 days, the programmed key came back earlier, it definitely not done in Germany but at the dealer.

All keys requested in US sent to Germany? That porky.

They don't make much anyway, about £20. The blank key is expensive, I believe it comes from NEC so is the programming logic. Not only that I thought my car is safe, all they need is the VIN, printed on the windscreen.:eek:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
When everyone was upgrading their w202 keys to the new chrome version for $65 a year ago or so, I think they figured out/were told the keys came from a central programming facility in Texas even though that particular dealer was in in Roanoke, VA.

·
Registered
373 Posts
where u get them for 65$ here in canada its 230 for just the fob and the metal key is extra 60$ where u get them let me know i have all three keys for my mb but i do like the chrome one my bros got, thanks

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
There was a dealer who had an online store under another name that sold MB parts and services for great prices. Many got the the lowest price although the price was raised within a day or two to somewhere around $100 and then shot up to normal price within a few more days. I know the poor guy who did online sales was going crazy with the flood of orders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ah okay, it was just on an old 2006 thread here I think. I wonder if here in the UK do the dealers just send them over to Germany?

I'm going to ring up my local stealer today and find out costs etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just rang up my local Mercedes Dealer and yes they are made in Germany if you live in the UK. They take about a week and cost £145 + VAT. I don't think that's too bad. Just need registration and driving licence details. Nice and easy so i'll pop in tomorrow :) It's so annoying not having central locking so it'll be exciting really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts