Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, and 2006 S500 4Matic
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is in response to a request from this thread.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2881401-installing-v8-2001-2002-s600.html

Hi T,

Can you elaborate on this, perhaps in a different thread ????

I've swapped dozens of Driver Side DCM's and never had a problem, also swapped EIS Shifter Key ECU, (Theft Relevant), Combo on my own car, so now that shows Donor VIN in SDS but it all works fine............

The only thing I had to do was Re Code EIS from Coupe to Sedan, (C to W in Coding), in order to get my Rear Door Soft Close, Rear Interior Lights, C/L and Rear Windows etc to work :confused:

This was because the "Theft Relevant" set of parts came from a C215 CL 500 and went into a W220 S500 :wink

Cheers Dave
Sure, here are some more details. The car is my best friend's 2000 S500, my former project car. As an additional "nice thing to do", I decided to get all the rust removed and have the car repainted. With silver metallic, you've pretty much got to do the whole car for it to look right. Problem: the bottoms of the doors were really rusty. The body shop and I opted to just swap the doors due to all the rust, so I ordered some matching silver metallic (color code 744) doors in good shape from California. Unfortunately, it seems this body shop didn't have a lot of experience with M-B S-classes. When they swapped over the doors, they didn't swap over the electronic components. Furthermore, due to an internal miscommunication, they scrapped the original doors before the car was done. Oops. That meant the original electronics got tossed with said doors.

The window switches, mirror controls, and trunk switch wouldn't work. They tried using their own programming tool to code the car's VIN into the front left door control module. It worked...until you shut the car down and restarted it. The modules original programming would reassert itself, i. e. the changes didn't get saved. They even called "The Scan Man" who got the same results. Not so good.

So, the body shop called the local M-B dealer and bought a virgin door module, had The Scan Man program it to the car, and now everything works again.

Well, now they have experience working on W220 S-classes. And they did make the car look good. But it was a lesson for all of us.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, and 2006 S500 4Matic
7,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, both were model year 2000 cars. Matter of fact, I understand the donor car was also an S500. I hadn't expected this to ben an issue, but apparently with some cars, it is. It sure was this time.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
W220 Moderator
9,084 Posts
Hi T,

Wow, I've never come across that, and like I said, I've swapped loads of DCM's mostly on W220 and C215 's because they are always going bad.

Yeah, I know they are Code-able, but usually if they are off the same Model, with all the right buttons it's not necessary :wink

When I get back on my S Class Project, (any day soon now :grin) , I'll have a delve when I get it on SDS :devil

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
2009 E350 4M Avant Garde, My Mistress 2002 S600, Wife 2014 C300 4M Avant Garde with AMG
1,151 Posts
I have changed driver side DCM with one that has the "E" easy entry mode switch.
It works just fine in my car without that feature. I could connect the original switch set to it , but what for.

If the easy entry feature is programmable I don't know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.