Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to purchase a smart key for my C Class off of Ebay, how would I program it?

·
Registered
C230 SC KOMPRESSOR
33 Posts
I think thats something the dealer has to do.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
You can't and neither can the dealer. The keys are matched to a particular car.

·
Registered
C320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why are these people seeling keys on Ebay that cant be programmed.... there must be something...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called a MB dealer and they told me that if the blank smart key you got from ebay hasn't been programed, it CAN be program at the dealer, but they cannot be RE-programed. is this correct?
thanks

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
21,789 Posts
I do not believe that is correct. The keys come pre-programmed from MBZ. The only thing the dealer can do is re-sync the RCL (Remote Control Locking) function. If the key doesn't work in the ignition, then it's toast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not believe that is correct. The keys come pre-programmed from MBZ. The only thing the dealer can do is re-sync the RCL (Remote Control Locking) function. If the key doesn't work in the ignition, then it's toast.
And exactly how much is a key at the dealer?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
21,789 Posts
It depends. I think the going rate is around $250. A coworker told me she got one for her CLK for $98 last month, but that was after spending over $3K in other services. There is no dealer programming necessary; they key comes ready to go from the factory, so you might have better luck "negotiating" with the guy at the parts counter - he's not on commission like the service advisors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts