Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed the instructions in the manual, however it doesn't work. I followed the instructions with the garage door opener, but doesn't work either. I was able to get my gate remote programmed with no issues using the remote. I tried using the transmitter and the rolling code procedure, but no luck. Any help?

I have a chamberlain liftmaster garage door opener.

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,338 Posts
I followed the instructions in the manual, however it doesn't work. I followed the instructions with the garage door opener, but doesn't work either. I was able to get my gate remote programmed with no issues using the remote. I tried using the transmitter and the rolling code procedure, but no luck. Any help?

I have a chamberlain liftmaster garage door opener.
I have a Chamberlain Liftmaster and I was only able to program the center button on the car. No luck on the left and right buttons.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,590 Posts
I have a Chamberlain and have no trouble at all. Just bought the replacement opener two months ago.

It worked exactly as was described on the Homelink website.

HomeLink; Home automation,Wireless control system, universal transceiver, RF control, Home security, smart home, vehicle to home, home automation, remote control lighting and home control

You really do need to clear the memory first on the Benzo by holding down the two outer buttons for ~20 seconds, but not more than 30 seconds. The LED near the buttons will start to flash when the memory has been cleared.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,487 Posts
i had a Chamberlain, then changed to a Genie about 3 yrs ago. both featured
rolling code security. i use the #3 button on the rear view mirror of my 99 E320
to sync with the door opener. the first time I did this was a bit of a pain 5 yrs
ago. thereafter, all subsequent syncs took roughly 15 secs.

for me, the sequence was this:
- press reset button on the garage door motor head (light flashes)
- press #3 button on car mirror (led steady)
- press #3 button on car mirror (test - door opens)

·
Registered
2002 E320 special edition - 78k (former 1995 E320 owner/wrencher)
134 Posts
This was whipping me too (over the weekend). We have a craftsman opener. The MB / Craftsman manuals didn't help.

But this did: HomeLink; Home automation,Wireless control system, universal transceiver, RF control, Home security, smart home, vehicle to home, home automation, remote control lighting and home control

Fill in your info -- the homelink site will provide step by step instructions.

Mine was like this:
1) Clear the MB homelink codes (press two outer buttons for 20 seconds until they blink fast)
2) Hold your opener remote next to the mb homelink (rear view mirror) and press the button on the remote opener and one of your MB homelink buttons simultaneously until the MB homelink light rapid blinks.
3) Press the button on the back of your garage door opener UNIT (code button) and then get in the car and press the MB homelink button you just programed to read the garage door opener remote up to 3x (press just for a second). I think on the third press, the door opened.

I flipped the circuit breaker on the garage door opener when doing step 2.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips fellas. None of the instructions I read said to program the remote and the garage door unit. I was just trying one or the other.

I'll give it a shot this afternoon and see what happens.

·
Registered
2002 E320 special edition - 78k (former 1995 E320 owner/wrencher)
134 Posts
Yeah, exactly! That's what I tried for an hour... either the opener remote or the opener code button... but never a combination.

Look at it this way. For roaming code openers, it looks like you have to teach the MB homelink the opener remote code and then synch THAT learned code to the opener unit.

Let us know. I searched for 20 minutes on this site for this information (this past weekend) and never found what I needed. Hope this helps the next guy.

·
Registered
2005 C240-Retired
626 Posts
I had the same issue with both of my Benz's. What I did was have the wife in the car and she turned the key to the on position then held down the mirror button then I hit the button on the garage. Not the garage remote but the button on the motor assembly. When the light blinks on the garage unit then release the button in the car. Worked for me, both cars.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,487 Posts
with the rolling code technology, it requires a interrogatory process between
the garage door, motor head unit and the remote (car). you must introduce
one to the other, ergo, each need to be manually activated.

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
468 Posts
Thanks for the tips fellas. None of the instructions I read said to program the remote and the garage door unit. I was just trying one or the other.

I'll give it a shot this afternoon and see what happens.
Here are the steps I do to program the rearview mirroir for all of my MB's :
1. Clear the code already in your car by holding (button 1,2 or 3) 20 seconds to wipe out the code in that button (key in position # 2)
2. Park the car with 10-15 feet of the garage's overhead opener, get a step ladder, look at the overhead opener (you will see a little door on the side of the opener, which said CONTROL CENTER), flip that little door out, there is a RED (square) button inside, hit that button (the light within the opener will lit up solid), within 15 seconds, get into your car (key still in position # 2), HOLD whatever button (1,2 or 3 you intend to program) a few seconds, you will see the yellow light relate to the button you are holding flash a couple time, at the same time the light on the opener also flash, then stop, You are set. The RED button on the opener learn the frequency in your car & accept it as a new opener keypad.
I program this way for all of my MB's with no problems, the instructions in the manual teach you different way, which never work for me. Lifmaster (Chamberlain) website also have some instructions of the rollong code opener also). Good luck.

·
Registered
2000 E320
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was whipping me too (over the weekend). We have a craftsman opener. The MB / Craftsman manuals didn't help.

But this did: HomeLink; Home automation,Wireless control system, universal transceiver, RF control, Home security, smart home, vehicle to home, home automation, remote control lighting and home control

Fill in your info -- the homelink site will provide step by step instructions.

Mine was like this:
1) Clear the MB homelink codes (press two outer buttons for 20 seconds until they blink fast)
2) Hold your opener remote next to the mb homelink (rear view mirror) and press the button on the remote opener and one of your MB homelink buttons simultaneously until the MB homelink light rapid blinks.
3) Press the button on the back of your garage door opener UNIT (code button) and then get in the car and press the MB homelink button you just programed to read the garage door opener remote up to 3x (press just for a second). I think on the third press, the door opened.

I flipped the circuit breaker on the garage door opener when doing step 2.

Hope this helps.
Worked perfect the first try! Thanks!

·
Registered
Black on Black 1997 E420
267 Posts
My vehicle is a '97 that is not equipped with the homelink button. I've attempted to sync with the several variations of instructions including the owner's manual but they were unsuccessful. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yippee!! - After literally years of trying. I just got my Liftmaster to respond to the mirror. I used a Craftsman 6" bar clamp with soft pads to hold the first button depressed while I pressed the learn button on the garage door opener head. I didn't have any issue with a couple of Craftsman openers going back to when I bought the car 11 years ago but for some reason, I had an issue with the Liftmaster when it was installed new.

·
Registered
2000 e320, 2001 CLK320
98 Posts
i had a Chamberlain, then changed to a Genie about 3 yrs ago. both featured
rolling code security. i use the #3 button on the rear view mirror of my 99 E320
to sync with the door opener. the first time I did this was a bit of a pain 5 yrs
ago. thereafter, all subsequent syncs took roughly 15 secs.

for me, the sequence was this:
- press reset button on the garage door motor head (light flashes)
- press #3 button on car mirror (led steady)
- press #3 button on car mirror (test - door opens)
thanks for the instructions, worked like a charm !
:bowdown::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2000 ML320
1 Posts
Programming Garage Door Remote Control Buttons on Year 2000 Mercedes Benz ML 320 to work with Chamberlain LiftMaster Security+ Universal Radio Control Model 355LM (315 Mhz) Rolling Code Type. (May work with others.)

1. Turn ignition key to position #2 (all the way before cranking starter).

2. Press two outer homelink buttons above mirror to clear previous codes. Hold for 20 seconds, until yellow light below center button blinks. Release the buttons.

3. Turn ignition key to off and then back to position #2 (this may or may not be necessary).

4. Press the homelink button you want to program (I used the center one) at the same time you press the corresponding button on the portable remote control. Hold them both until the yellow light flashes rapidly. (Note, unless you unplugged it, the garage door will also close/open. Be careful about that.)

5. Turn ignition key to off and then back to position #2 (this may or may not be necessary).

6. Remove the plastic cover plate on the 355LM using a flat blade screwdriver or coin in its slot. It is above the big white door opening button. This will expose the small black "smart" programming button.

7. Press and release the smart programming button. The small indicator light above it will illuminate. If it does not, press the smart button again. It will remain lit for 30 seconds.

8. During this 30 second period, press the same homelink button you matched to the remote in step #4 above. If this programming is successful, the small indicator lamp on the 355LM will go out immediately.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.