Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, There is a way to programme a new/replacement, I am trying to find this out, does anyone know?

Mercdads say it takes 4-6 hours to programme (yeh right) plus they kindly offered to charge me £170+(labour) out of the kindness of their hearts, (all together now...AHH) bless their little box of spanners.

Anyone know how then guys?

SARGE

·
Registered
V 220 CDI Trend
123 Posts
I've been really badly burnt on this one, ended up Merc dealer ripping me off for over £300 , gaining nothing and telling ME off. But the dealership bit has been covered enough, just don't go to the one in Reading, UK.

So, I will repeat what I was told.

- V classes can only be done at Merc Car dealerships.
- You MUST have a new un-coded key*, this is best oredered from the dealership that will do the work. You have to order it with ID and V5 (in UK)
* - DO NOT get one off eBay ... they will more than likely "used" or pre-coded.
- Be prepared to wait as it requires a call to the head office to get an code.
- The metal key part is not included and is ordered separately.

Also check carefully with the dealership the actual cost and find one that has a technician that has done it before, you do not want one "playing" with it to find it goes wrong then you could land yourself a bill to replace the system and it also has to be coded to the ECU.

My advice is not to go near this unless you have a specific requirements.

If you do go ahead, good luck ...

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
montymole said:
I've been really badly burnt on this one, ended up Merc dealer ripping me off for over £300 , gaining nothing and telling ME off. But the dealership bit has been covered enough, just don't go to the one in Reading, UK.

So, I will repeat what I was told.

- V classes can only be done at Merc Car dealerships.
- You MUST have a new un-coded key*, this is best oredered from the dealership that will do the work. You have to order it with ID and V5 (in UK)
* - DO NOT get one off eBay ... they will more than likely "used" or pre-coded.
- Be prepared to wait as it requires a call to the head office to get an code.
- The metal key part is not included and is ordered separately.

Also check carefully with the dealership the actual cost and find one that has a technician that has done it before, you do not want one "playing" with it to find it goes wrong then you could land yourself a bill to replace the system and it also has to be coded to the ECU.

My advice is not to go near this unless you have a specific requirements.

If you do go ahead, good luck ...
Hi, Firstly the dealership part is NEVER covered enough mate, it falls on deaf ears and thieving hands of the Mercdads.

I needed to programme a remote to arm/disarm the alarm, which also locks/unlocks the car rather than the need for starting it, as I CAN get a key cut from my local Locksmith who CAN copy the transponder and cut a simple key (5 minutes work) for the starting of my car, however, this doesn't cover the arming/disarming, and doors.

KEY = Local locksmith = £25
KEY = Mercdads = £170(+) part + labour =£340(+)

Take your choice

Thanks for the info mate

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Programming instructions?!

Below is the instructions on how to programme Mercedes remote Keys, HOWEVER this has not worked in my case, as either is won't work for my model OR, the 2 remotes I have tried it on are of the wrong type.

I decided to post it in case it helps someone else! the instructions are written EXACTLY as I got them.

How to Program Mercedes Remote Keys

The transponder chip inside the key must be synchronized to the cars
immobiliser (for starting car) to proceed with these steps.

1. Place transmitter key in ignition lock and turn to position 2

2. Extract transmitter key from ignition lock

3. Within 10 seconds:
press (close) pushbutton, hold and simultaneously press (open)
pushbutton five times one after the other release pushbuttons and then
press one of the two pushbuttons once

It may also be necessary to synchronize a transmitter key if the
battery in the transmitter key has been replaced.

SARGE

·
Registered
108d big orange shaggin wagon v280 639 109
280 Posts
i lost my key once for my 230 kommpressor rang dealer and was told i needed to go to dealers wi my logbook id to order a key thay told me all keys are orded in from head office in germany and can take up to two weeks to arrive £80 plus vat but luck was on my side got it back

·
Registered
66 Posts
im a key cutter down here in cornwall there are non main dealers who do programing of cripto rolling code chips ,
i do fixed chiped keys up to 98ish ,then cloning of ford keys up to 2002 ish ,
now the remots on mercs are the same set up as vw ,seat ,audi ,
a guy came in to wk n wanted a new blade cutting for his newish vw ,i did ask about programing the key ,he bought a black box what pluged into the cars engine managment system n allowed him to program him self .
ive seen these for rover to allow n program the 2 button remote s,
then the new remote disarms the imbolizer ,

but for some Diesel motors to bypass the imbolizer all you need is a live from batt to the Diesel pump ,ive done this on fords n discoverys
also if theres a way of programing the remote with reguards to the rolling code chip for a spare , all you got to do is place the chipped key minus the remote (they norn seperate in 2 )
behind the plastic casing of ighnition near the wire for the signal
to over ride the ibmolizer !!
then a standard flip key with remote alot cheeper

·
Registered
Bandwidth
3,256 Posts
Sarge786 said:
Hi guys, There is a way to programme a new/replacement, I am trying to find this out, does anyone know?

Mercdads say it takes 4-6 hours to programme (yeh right) plus they kindly offered to charge me £170+(labour) out of the kindness of their hearts, (all together now...AHH) bless their little box of spanners.

Anyone know how then guys?

SARGE
Afraid it is a MERCDAD job! When I bought my V230, it came with the 2 sets of the remote keys (type with the folding steel key into the fob). One key worked fine with remote lock, etc. but the other key would work with the remote locking but would not start the car! I went to the local MERCDAD and explained the situaution. The "inexperienced" young chap assured me with an air of false confidence that the answer to problem lies in a new key which has to be ordered from Germany and would cost £80 +VAT. I said that I did not need the key but just the existing fob re-programmed. He insisted and I obliged! 2 weeks later the new key arrives from Germany and I tries it! Yes, you guessed it.....it did not start the car! MERCDAD then tell me an extra £80 +VAT would be required for the key programme! I said BULL and threw the Consumer Law Book at them....."product not fit for purpose...." and requested an immediate refund or they would be on WACTHDOG! The Service Manager gave me a symphathetic ear and ordered the punk who had tried to fib me to programme my key free of charge. It took them about 15 minutes to have the key ready! So, until we get a MERCDAD Technician doing some "moonshining" work, we have to rely on the MERCDADS for this service!...............:D

·
Registered
1994 BMW 740i
1 Posts
Coding Transponders

The only way to code the key remote transponder is to have access to the centrallocking computer. You have to sync the keys to the vehicle before the vehicle will recognize the transponder. Anyone who tells you different is lying. Remember you are not programming the key, actually you are coding the central locking computer to recognize the keys(transponder) frequency. The are a few aftermarket systems capable of coding and programming to the Mercedes onboard systems. Autologic and Carsoft are the best known.

PS By the way Punjabi I think you meant "moonlighting"

·
Registered
Bandwidth
3,256 Posts
lnvaldes said:
The only way to code the key remote transponder is to have access to the centrallocking computer. You have to sync the keys to the vehicle before the vehicle will recognize the transponder. Anyone who tells you different is lying. Remember you are not programming the key, actually you are coding the central locking computer to recognize the keys(transponder) frequency. The are a few aftermarket systems capable of coding and programming to the Mercedes onboard systems. Autologic and Carsoft are the best known.

Correct! TA! Had a bit too much lassi!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Please explain.
I have CARSOFT and the multiplexer interface.
How can I add a new key (from a previous car..same model) ?

I have a r170 evo.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i lost my key once for my 230 kommpressor rang dealer and was told i needed to go to dealers with my V5 logbook & ID to order a key that told me all keys are ordered in from head office in Germany and can take up to two weeks to arrive £80 plus vat but luck was on my side got it back
I concur.......! My local MERCAD (Northside Trucks, Carr Hill, Doncaster ) tell the same story. The key is given the correct code as it had on the production line the day it was built and so when the new key arrives, it dont need any toss-pot technician to mess about with your pride&joy, the new key works instantly.............unless you have had to change the steering lock assembly.........or the ECU. In that case it will be a bit more difficult.

...........oh and by the way, the MERCAD's bless 'em.........will NOT GUARANTEE the new key will work............hense why you have to pay it all up front when ordering!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think there is a confusion between the two separate actions of the remote key fob.

The car (in my case is a 2003 W638) requires a transponder to allow it to start, this is soley for the ignition to allow the immobiliser to activate when the key is removed from the ignition, and allows it to start the car upon recognition of an appropriate rf id transponder (insertion of the key).

I simply took my existing 'remote' fob (the type with a flip key) to my local locksmith, he read the transponder code in about 1 second, cloned it to another one, then cut me a standard key (the type with the transponder in it's head) and away I went, tried it and Valla! works fine. This is now currently my spare 'key'

The second action of the remote fob is that once a button to lock and unlock is pressed (this has to be programmed to the cars ECU for it to be recognised) it obviously allows the operation of the central locking AND the disarm/arm of the alarm. This is where we are having issues ( I haven't been looking into it since :eek:) .

What I did find interesting though was that If I lock/arm it using my existing 'remote fob', then opened the door using the new key, the alarm went off, HOWEVER, while the alarm was going off I entered the key into the ignition and was able to start the car without fail, yet the cars alarm keeps going off! :eek:

This means that the two circuits are separate in these vehicles (are all Mercedes same?) Which also means that instead of getting ripped off by Mercdads for one replacement remote, you could disable/discard the current remote fob/alarm and install a top end remote alarm (and immobiliser if you wanted to connect this side of the new alarm unit) unit that will have several remotes on them.

On my Audi (the one I rebuilt in my story) I am able to program new transponders/keys and the remotes without any problems. The two circuits in these cars are linked though as if I lock with remote fob and open using just basic key (already programmed to the immobilser, the alarm turns of after entering the key and turning to ignition :D

Cheers

Sarge

·
Registered
62 Posts
Below is the instructions on how to programme Mercedes remote Keys, HOWEVER this has not worked in my case, as either is won't work for my model OR, the 2 remotes I have tried it on are of the wrong type.

I decided to post it in case it helps someone else! the instructions are written EXACTLY as I got them.

How to Program Mercedes Remote Keys

The transponder chip inside the key must be synchronized to the cars
immobiliser (for starting car) to proceed with these steps.

1. Place transmitter key in ignition lock and turn to position 2

2. Extract transmitter key from ignition lock

3. Within 10 seconds:
press (close) pushbutton, hold and simultaneously press (open)
pushbutton five times one after the other release pushbuttons and then
press one of the two pushbuttons once

It may also be necessary to synchronize a transmitter key if the
battery in the transmitter key has been replaced.

SARGE
If this worked - everybody with a key from eBay could program it for any MB and steal. It doesn't seem likely that it should work....

·
Registered
CLK
8 Posts
programming used key fob

here is my story with a question...
I bought a '98 CLK which came with 1 defective key fob - door lock remote not working. So I was told by a Mercedes owner to buy a used key fob (remote functioning) for $25 from ebay and get it programmed by the dealer for $10. Purchased this & then dealer said "No way - can't help you." But they could sell me a new key fob and program it for $320. I had no choice that I could see - but sales guy quietly suggested that there must be someone "out there" - a computer technician or whatever - who could re-program a used key. ?? Anyway, $325 and many hours of waiting & 2 trips to dealer later, I had a lovely, updated working key. Highway robbery if you ask me. But I still have this used, decent shape used one which I would like to make into my backup. Anyone know how this might be done? There has to be a way!

·
Registered
GLK220d, 2012
62 Posts
If this worked - everybody with a key from eBay could program it for any MB and steal. It doesn't seem likely that it should work....
To me it sounds like this procedure syncs a working key, that have com out of sync with the car. I would assume the transmitter uses one time "passwords", with a tolerance. So if you get too far out of sequence, you need to sync up again.

My guess is that this doesn't program a key from scratch.

·
Registered
1999 108 Cdi Traveliner, 1999 V220 Cdi, 2003 V220 Cdi
185 Posts
To me it sounds like this procedure syncs a working key, that have com out of sync with the car. I would assume the transmitter uses one time "passwords", with a tolerance. So if you get too far out of sequence, you need to sync up again.

My guess is that this doesn't program a key from scratch.
You're correct. This procedure re-syncs a transmitter that is already coded to the vehicle.

I had to replace a remote for my V220.

I tried every method I could think of to avoid going to the main dealer.

In the end it had to be ordered through MB, at their extortionate prices.

Because the remote had a pre-programmed immobiliser chip, I then had to book the van in for a session on their computer for the vehicle to be matched to the key.

Great for vehicle security - not so good for the pocket. Ended up paying just under 200 quid to get a fully working remote! :eek:

Rob

·
Registered
Vito 110CDI 2002
7 Posts
For what it's worth...

Bought an 02 Vito 110CDI privately last Wednesday. Came with 2 keys, one that worked, one that didn't.

Phoned Rossetts Mercedes Commercials in Worthing UK, went down there this morning, gave them both keys. 2hrs later I walked out with 2 working keys although my bank account was £90 lighter.

Not that bad I thought.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
7 Posts
Worked for me. I had bought my ML with a single key/fob and dead batter in the fob. Replaced the battery, followed the steps above and it worked like a champ. Thank you very much. The instructions are now written down and placed in my owners guide for future use. Now to order a blank get it cut and programmed as a spare. I have seen used fobs with blank keys on ebay for 59.00. I'm curious how much MB will charge to cut the key and program with my blank and fob.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.